We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Advice please - cheapest phone for calls

I have never used a pay as you go phone before . I need a phone to receive calls but will very rarely need to make a call. what phone/provider will I need to do this?
I need to keep the costs as cheap as possible
will a provider make me pay eg a monthly top up charge? to keep the phone line working?
any help appreciated

Comments

  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 11 November 2012 at 12:18AM
    dmcd06 wrote: »
    I have never used a pay as you go phone before . I need a phone to receive calls but will very rarely need to make a call. what phone/provider will I need to do this?
    With all UK providers receiving calls in UK is free.
    will a provider make me pay eg a monthly top up charge? to keep the phone line working?
    No, but normally you have to make a chargeable call or send a text every 6 months to keep the sim alive. With Orange incoming calls will suffice.

    Ovivo offer even free outgoing calls and texts ATM. The sim card costs £10: http://ovivomobile.com/our-offer/.
  • Ultrasonic
    Ultrasonic Posts: 4,266 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I've used Asda Mobile (which uses the Vodafone network) for several years with no problems - never had a problem making/receiving a call or text. Calls cost 10p/min, texts are 6p each, which is very good for low volume use. There is no monthly top up requirement, you top up when you want and the credit then stays there till you need it.

    Full terms and condtions here:

    http://www.asdamobile.com/help/termsandconditions.html

    Very quickly I can spot that they'll terminate the service if you don't use it for a 180 day period, in line with what Grumbler said.
  • It depends what you want to use it for. I've always been with orange and you can choose from different plans, I like having the same number although you can take it to other networks. My polan is 14p for every text and 14p per mnute on calls. I hardly use my phone so £10 normally lasts me two months.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.