Gap Insurance

Options
I am in the process of buying a car from a main dealer and was offered Gap Insurance and I am wondering if anyone has any advice about this type of product, which would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Comments

• balsingh
    balsingh Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've never had any experience of havign gap insurance but from what I have read and been told, even if you want it, don't buy it from the dealer as you can get it cheaper elsewhere. Do a google search on it and i'm sure other insurers will offer it cheaper.
    If you found my comment helpful, please click the 'Thanks' button below :T
  • philhuff
    philhuff Posts: 290 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Like all insurance, it's a gamble. The product serves a purpose, but you've got to figure out for yourself if the risk is worth the expense.

If you do think it's worth it, I'd suggest taking a look at Click4Gap for some good rates - and you can also get cashback via Quidco.
    MSE are supporting our journey from Staples2Naples for SPARKS. Join us.
  • peterg1965
    peterg1965 Posts: 2,159 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Agree with Phil. Its all about your attitude to risk. I brought GAP insurance for my BMW but NEVER buy from the dealer. They are way overpriced but land the dealership with a huge commission. FSA regulations demand that dealers offer the product, hence you have been informed about it by the salesman. If the car you are buying is brand new you may be covered by your car insurance for a new for old replacement in the first year of ownership, it is worth checking. You must, however, be the first owner pre registered cars are not covered. There are also 3 types of GAP insurance, Retrun to Invoice, replacment car and finance gap. https://www.click4gap.co.uk is recommended and explains the options.

As an example the BMW dealer offered me a 3 year GAP policy (return to Invoice price) for £540. I went to Click4gap and the policy was £200. I also used an autotrader £10 off voucher and went through a cashback website and got another £20 cashback. Result was that the GAP policy cost me £170 for three year cover up to a maximum payout of £15,000.
  • jonnypb
    jonnypb Posts: 326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    peterg1965 wrote: »
    I went to Click4gap and the policy was £200. I also used an autotrader £10 off voucher and went through a cashback website and got another £20 cashback.

anyone know the autotrader discount code for click4gap?

thanks
  • jonnypb
    Options
    any discount codes for click4gap?

thanks
  • peterg1965
    peterg1965 Posts: 2,159 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cant find the discount code via Auto trader. It must have finished. Try registering with a cashback website like https://www.topcashback.co.uk I think you will get £22.50 cashback if you click through to click4gap and take out a policy.

Hope that helps.
  • jonnypb
    Options
    cheers i'll use quidco
  • Kerbs
    Options
    Hi I dont know autotrader code but I have just been sent this one.

C4G10-26405 £10 off

CONDITIONS:
    This offer is limited to the first 500 customers only.
    One purchase per customer
    Cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotions on this purchase.

I went via www.topcashback.co.uk and also got another £22.50 back.

Cheers

Kerbs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family