We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Another example of Vodafone's appalling customer service

I have been a Vodafone customer (having defected from Orange) for nearly 4 years, over the course of which I have had 4 contracts (I still currently have 2 to my name).

In a few weeks I shall be moving to Dublin for 14 months with work. As my UK plan will not be valid in Dublin, I wish to downgrade my price plan so that I am not paying excessively for a contract I am not using, but I am still able to use it on the occasions that I am in the UK. I do not wish to leave Vodafone if I can help it.

I have been told that I can be downgraded to a SIMO deal (presumably that means Sim Only?!) in FEBRUARY 2014... I shall be back in the country by then and so this is useless to me. I have since been told to basically like it or lump it.

I know a couple of people who have phoned Vodafone recently (and by recently I do mean in the last couple of months) and had their price plans reduced as they can no longer afford the monthly payments. Why, therefore, am I being punished for having a perfectly legitimate reason of relocating abroad?! I refuse to pay £3 per day for the Euro Traveller option on top of the £36 per month I am currently being forced to pay. I am 12 months into my latest 24 month contract.

As I said, I currently have two contracts to my name, and as it stands I shall be terminating both contracts as soon as I possibly can (without incurring early cancellation fees!). I have never before experienced such unhelpul customer service.

Any advice?

Comments

  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 7 November 2012 at 11:06AM
    trev2402 wrote: »
    ...I know a couple of people who have phoned Vodafone recently (and by recently I do mean in the last couple of months) and had their price plans reduced as they can no longer afford the monthly payments.
    Either they were extremely lucky or they were outside of their minimum terms.
    Why, therefore, am I being punished for having a perfectly legitimate reason of relocating abroad?!
    You are mistaken that this reason is 'legitimate'.
    As I said, I currently have two contracts to my name, and as it stands I shall be terminating both contracts as soon as I possibly can (without incurring early cancellation fees!). I have never before experienced such unhelpul customer service.
    There are no networks that routinely offer 'breaks' in contracts for the above reason (the only exception is for the military personnel moving abroad). Some networks do this sometimes as a gesture of goodwill, but you cannot rely on this.

    You are in a position to ask, not to 'wish' or demand.
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836
    Part of the Furniture
    Forumite
    trev2402 wrote: »
    .

    I have been told that I can be downgraded to a SIMO deal (presumably that means Sim Only?!) in FEBRUARY 2014... I shall be back in the country by then and so this is useless to me. I have since been told to basically like it or lump it.

    I am currently being forced to pay. I am 12 months into my latest 24 month contract.
    Any advice?
    The two dates don't match up ???
    If you are 12 months in then you would be able to transfer to Sim only in November 2013
    If they are quoting Feb 2014 it sounds like you upgraded your contract early.
    trev2402 wrote: »
    Why, therefore, am I being punished for having a perfectly legitimate reason of relocating abroad?!
    Why should Vodafone have to lose money because you decide suddenly to go abroad ?
    The problem is that when you take out a contract a fair proportion of your bill is to pay for the phone rather like buying it on HP which has to be paid for
    It's not just about the money
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have read your thread title.

    I believe you have an unneeded space between "customer" and "service" and the "ervice" is surplus to requirements.
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836
    Part of the Furniture
    Forumite
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    I have read your thread title.

    I believe you have an unneeded space between "customer" and "service" and the "ervice" is surplus to requirements.
    I had to think about that for a minute GD ;)

    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    It's not just about the money
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    trev2402 wrote: »
    I have been a Vodafone customer (having defected from Orange) for nearly 4 years, over the course of which I have had 4 contracts (I still currently have 2 to my name).

    In a few weeks I shall be moving to Dublin for 14 months with work. As my UK plan will not be valid in Dublin, I wish to downgrade my price plan so that I am not paying excessively for a contract I am not using, but I am still able to use it on the occasions that I am in the UK. I do not wish to leave Vodafone if I can help it.

    I have been told that I can be downgraded to a SIMO deal (presumably that means Sim Only?!) in FEBRUARY 2014... I shall be back in the country by then and so this is useless to me. I have since been told to basically like it or lump it.

    I know a couple of people who have phoned Vodafone recently (and by recently I do mean in the last couple of months) and had their price plans reduced as they can no longer afford the monthly payments. Why, therefore, am I being punished for having a perfectly legitimate reason of relocating abroad?! I refuse to pay £3 per day for the Euro Traveller option on top of the £36 per month I am currently being forced to pay. I am 12 months into my latest 24 month contract.

    As I said, I currently have two contracts to my name, and as it stands I shall be terminating both contracts as soon as I possibly can (without incurring early cancellation fees!). I have never before experienced such unhelpul customer service.

    Any advice?

    Hi trev2402,

    Thanks for making me aware of your concerns.

    In order for us to review this matter further could you
    email me with the relevant details via the link in our profile here?

    All you need to do is copy and paste the link into your web browser and it will take you to the Contact us form on our website.

    To ensure that it reaches us could you also quote the code WRT135 - MSE in the subject line and once our automated reply arrives update the thread with your email reference number and I'll get back to you as soon as possible?

    Thanks,

    Lee

    Web Relations Team

    Vodafone UK

    “Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 313 Forumite
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    I have read your thread title.

    I believe you have an unneeded space between "customer" and "service" and the "ervice" is surplus to requirements.

    Brilliant!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.