We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Parsnips in bottles

Options

Comments

• jj@8cv
    jj@8cv Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ColinS,
    Thanks. Will definitely try the parsnips next year and some carrots too. It might stop those little black slugs getting at them. I solved the carrot fly problem this year only to have them eaten by the slugs!
  • colinS
    colinS Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    jj@8cv,

Don't forget that soil mix, it doesn't have to be leaf mould, compost will do, and half and half should do. I usually bag up some soil if the weather has been dry for a few days (god knows went those days will come this year), and sieve it later. Tamping down is also important or you will end up with only half a bottle. I know it's a lot of preparation, but there are plenty of bad weather days when it can be done. I am going to use the soil again, I have bagged it up and will sieve it again when I use it. I know there's a change of desease, but I'll give it a try because the soil still looks so good.

On the parsnip gemimating thing, I read about the way you did yours in another forum, and I have given it a go this morning. I have seed left and I know they don't keep too well, so I've nothing to lose except time and effort. I would dearly like to know how quick the tap root would reach the bottom of the bottle so I could know when to take the cap off and plant out under cover in the cloches I have made with my sustead lollipops in my garden gizmos post.

I'll keep an eye on this post to see if you have any more questions.
  • NinjaB
    NinjaB Posts: 298 Forumite
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks for your post Colin. I took a lot of space and 3 packs of seeds and ended up with 20 parsnips :( Also I live in france and planted out according to packet but the hot summer cream crackered the swede and worried that the parsnips are going to be all woody when I finally get them up. I have 3 packs of seeds at the ready, fingers crossed next year.

Just one question so all the bottles in rows are touching but how far apart do you put the rows?
  • colinS
    Options
    NinjaB,

Sorry for the delay in answering you query, I haven't visited the board lately.

I haven't actually grown them in rows yet, I am going to try that next summer. I have placed the bottle in clumps, I really haven't got around to finding out the best way to arrange them. For instance, I put them around the edge of a 2mtr x 1.5mtr raised bed, which had high sides to put them against. I think the point to remember is that you have to get at them to take care of them. I don't want anyone to think they can just put these seeds in a confined space like a 2ltre bottle and leave them. They have to be watered and fed, and the leaves have to have room to spread to catch those photons. I would reckon that putting the rows half a metre apart is worth trying.

I really recomend Gladiator, if you want large parsnips. I have also started some of last year's Hollow Crown seeds that I had left over. I used the method that [EMAIL="jj@8cv"]jj@8cv[/EMAIL] used - germinating the seeds in kitchem paper and then planting them in bottles. I have about twenty bottles on the go in my green house, just waiting for the plants to break ground and flower.

I am up to 20LB harvested, and I still have a few bottles in the ground, plus some in the greenhouse that I lifted a while ago.

Just try a row or two of bottles next summer to get the feel of it. There's a lot of work to do, making the bottles and such, so doing too many and failing will leave you too dishearted to carry on - that's what almost happened to me.
  • NinjaB
    NinjaB Posts: 298 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that Colin. Turns out it is Gladiator I have :) I shall give some a go in bottles and also some in toilet rolls ... I do think some of my problem was unwittingly pulling up the seedlings with the weeds but at least that way it will be more of a visual where they are. I am getting my first ones up for Christmas dinner and shall eat them regardless of how they are :)
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just seen this and it sounds quite interesting. I am already saving bottles to have a go at these planting towers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uDbjZ9roEQ&feature=youtu.be

With these you stack 6 or 7 bottles and use one bottle upside down at the top to drip water the tower. I wonder if you could get away with one parsnip in the bottle at the bottom of each tower. Would have to be at a slight angle to allow the top to grow out of a side cut, but might work.

Got plenty of ideas for those old pop bottles anyway, what with the towers this thread and self watering pots for the windowsill made from pop bottles.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• colinS
    Options
    Ali x

This public library computer that I am on today is running very slow so I haven't had the chance to see the video all the way through, just a few clips. I don't know what plants is growing in the bottles, but I hope they are more edible than the music is listenable.

In regards to having parsnips in the bottom bottle, you have to let the tap root grow through the bottle into the ground, and drainage would probably be a problem. This type of cultivation seems to suit herbs more than root vegetables.

You can try it, but I would not bother with too many parsnips in bottom bottles, you can get away with only so much intensive growing.
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think I might just stick to growing them in the normal beds now I have thought about it. Think the bottle stuff lends itself to "above ground" stuff, as you say herbs look good and lettuces seem to work.

I might stick some parsnips in buckets instead.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• colinS
    Options
    I bought some Gladiator seeds last week and sowed some bottles to get off to an early start for this year. I also put some seeds between wet cardboard to germinate them. I am surprised how quick they have germinated, less than a week. I will have to get them in bottles this afternoon.

I also bought some Early Nantes carrots, and I have sowed a few bottles of them.

So I am off the starting blocks for 2013 Parsnips in Bottles sprint.
  • lindseykim13
    Options
    These look great going to have a go at it as can't grow parsnips here too much clay soil to bother. Will make a little funnel with sand in too like in the video as i tend to forget to water so this might keep a drip feed going. Can't wait for this weather to warm up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport