Ask a StepChange (formerly CCCS) counsellor a bankruptcy question

Options

Comments

• joa1210
    joa1210 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 March 2017 at 11:59AM
    Options
    Hi, i have just been through the step change form and bankruptcy is coming out as advised (which i already knew in my heart) but i still have so many questions.
    i have no equity in my house so may not lose it, however i am 8 weeks pregnant ( the reason that i have been given the push to get my head out of the sand) and we need more room, can we consider moving before the bankruptcy? we can find a bigger house for the same cost as my mortgage and secured loan combined.
    what happens with phone/gym contracts?
    i am sure there will be lots more over the next few days
    Thanks

Jo
    *edited to add that so far i am not in any arrears and never have missed mortgage or loans, but my husband is currently out of work and my outgoings are more than my current incoming, the only thing that will change in the future is that i will be on mat leave from sept/oct so while m husband may be in regular work my income will significantly drop
  • StepChange_Kirsty
    StepChange_Kirsty Posts: 180 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Jo,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.

If you’ve completed our online Debt Remedy tool I would recommend you give us a call and we’ll be able to go through your questions over the phone. This will enable the Debt Advisor to log in and see the information you’ve completed in order to give you more detailed advice based on your individual circumstances.

Our contact number is 0800 197 1704 and we’re available Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday 9am to 2pm. Please have your web reference number to hand when you call.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kirsty
    joa1210 wrote: »
    Hi, i have just been through the step change form and bankruptcy is coming out as advised (which i already knew in my heart) but i still have so many questions.
    i have no equity in my house so may not lose it, however i am 8 weeks pregnant ( the reason that i have been given the push to get my head out of the sand) and we need more room, can we consider moving before the bankruptcy? we can find a bigger house for the same cost as my mortgage and secured loan combined.
    what happens with phone/gym contracts?
    i am sure there will be lots more over the next few days
    Thanks

Jo
    *edited to add that so far i am not in any arrears and never have missed mortgage or loans, but my husband is currently out of work and my outgoings are more than my current incoming, the only thing that will change in the future is that i will be on mat leave from sept/oct so while m husband may be in regular work my income will significantly drop
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
  • Violet1881
    Violet1881 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Hello

I am currently bankrupt and my credit file shows me as still financially linked to my ex partner who isn't bankrupt but possibly in debt due to our joint debts of many many years ago. These are the debts I have declared myself bankrupt for.

When am I able to disassociate myself financially from my ex? Can I do it now during my bankruptcy or after the 12 months is up? or will we remain linked for the whole six years of my bankruptcy?

Thank you.
    I've been around the world and I I I I ..... changed my username :shhh:
  • Former_StepChange_Linsi
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for you post.

If these accounts are now closed which is likely due to your bankruptcy, you’ll need to contact the credit reference agencies to break the link on your credit report.

Here’s a link explaining how, for each credit reference agency:

Experian: https://www.experian.com/uk/online-dissassociation-form.html

Noddle (Call Credit): https://www.noddle.co.uk/f-a-q

Clear Score (Equifax): https://help.clearscore.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/198/7/how-can-i-add-a-notice-of-disassociation-to-my-report

I hope this helps.

Linsi

Violet1881 wrote: »
    Hello

I am currently bankrupt and my credit file shows me as still financially linked to my ex partner who isn't bankrupt but possibly in debt due to our joint debts of many many years ago. These are the debts I have declared myself bankrupt for.

When am I able to disassociate myself financially from my ex? Can I do it now during my bankruptcy or after the 12 months is up? or will we remain linked for the whole six years of my bankruptcy?

Thank you.
  • Violet1881
    Violet1881 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for the links.

Are the accounts closed even if only one party has gone bankrupt? They were joint loans.

Thank you.
    I've been around the world and I I I I ..... changed my username :shhh:
  • Hi

I’m glad you found the links helpful. I forgot to mention that you only need to update one of the credit reference agencies listed. Whichever you choose will then update the other two.

Joint accounts can be closed if one person goes bankrupt. Having said this, if your ex-partner is still maintaining the contractual payments then the account may remain open.

However as you’re not liable for these debts anymore, you should still be able to remove a financial connection.

All the best,

Linsi

Violet1881 wrote: »
    Thank you for the links.

Are the accounts closed even if only one party has gone bankrupt? They were joint loans.

Thank you.
  • toddie1982_2
    Options
    Hi there, I have sent you a private message, hope it was received ok :)
  • Former_StepChange_Linsi
    Options
    Hello

Thanks for your post.

We've received and replied to your private message. If you have any other questions please feel free to reply to our message.

I hope this helps.

Linsi
    toddie1982 wrote: »
    Hi there, I have sent you a private message, hope it was received ok :)
  • parisayo
    Options
    Hello

I hope you will be able to give me a little advice here.

I was declared bankrupt in July of 2010, so as far as my credit history is concerned it should be clear. I am however having trouble getting my previous mortgage company to ammend my default date to the date of my bankruptcy. I have sent the letters from here requesting that they change it, but their reply states;

"Whilst the mortgage was included in your bankrupcy order dated 20 July 2010, it remained a fully secured debt and at that time we had not claimed repayment.

The banks policy is to record a default against the mortgage only when repossesion has taken place. On this occasion, 19 May 2011 and will remain on record for 6 years"

Is this correct? Should I take this further as this is the one outstanding debt on my record which is stopping me from moving forward at the moment.

When I declared myself bankrupt I moved from the property and handed all the keys back to my mortgage provider informing them that I was no longer there. I obviously had no control over the timeframe of the repossesion of the property.

Thanks for your time,

Regards

Kev
  • StepChange_Allen
    StepChange_Allen Posts: 352 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    parisayo wrote: »
    Hello

I hope you will be able to give me a little advice here.

I was declared bankrupt in July of 2010, so as far as my credit history is concerned it should be clear. I am however having trouble getting my previous mortgage company to ammend my default date to the date of my bankruptcy. I have sent the letters from here requesting that they change it, but their reply states;

"Whilst the mortgage was included in your bankrupcy order dated 20 July 2010, it remained a fully secured debt and at that time we had not claimed repayment.

The banks policy is to record a default against the mortgage only when repossesion has taken place. On this occasion, 19 May 2011 and will remain on record for 6 years"

Is this correct? Should I take this further as this is the one outstanding debt on my record which is stopping me from moving forward at the moment.

When I declared myself bankrupt I moved from the property and handed all the keys back to my mortgage provider informing them that I was no longer there. I obviously had no control over the timeframe of the repossesion of the property.

Thanks for your time,

Regards

Kev

Hi Kev

Thanks for your post.

My understanding is that any creditor which had not defaulted before the date of the bankruptcy must add a default date no later than the date of the bankruptcy order. This means all record of debts incurred before the bankruptcy should disappear from your credit file six years after date of the bankruptcy order. I'm not aware of any difference with mortgages as any negative equity in the property is technically included in the bankruptcy.

It may be a good idea to speak with the insolvency service or the credit reference agencies to query this further. The worst case scenario is that it drops off in a couple of months.

I hope this helps.

Allen
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback