Struggling with debt? Ask a debt advisor a question

Options

Comments

• Rooster01
    Rooster01 Posts: 78 Forumite
    edited 12 November 2014 at 3:45PM
    Options
    Really worried about starting dmp 1st January. I keep thinking have I done the correct thing? Worried about how creditors will react? The one thing that's making me sick with worry is a charging order against my property. I'm hearing more and more about it. Can they start one as soon as I enter dmp? Debts are in my name only but morgage is joint. We currently owe £28,000 but property worth around £177,000. This is what makes me think a charging order will definitely happen. I'm making myself ill with worry.
  • StepChange_James
    StepChange_James Posts: 861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Grangey wrote: »
    Hello Everyone!

I am currently struggling with my monthly payments back to my loan/credit card companies, so only leaves me with £200 per month for daily living costs. My credit rating is fair so I am also struggling to get a new loan to put everything together.

I don't want to be someone who goes for an IVA and also has 6 years of "blacklisting" on my file. Is there a way I can condense my payments? I have tried speaking to my main lender but they are unwilling to increase the term of my loan in order to make my payments less.

Any help you can suggest would be most appreciated.

[FONT=&quot]Hi Grangey,

Please don’t worry too much about credit ratings, being ‘blacklisted’ is actually a myth and nothing on your credit report is permanent. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]If you’re struggling to make payments it’s important to make sure you keep on top of your priority household bills and living costs. Falling behind with these could have a bigger impact on you in the long run. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]You can use our free, anonymous, online Debt Remedy tool www.stepchange.org/msehelp_ which will help you put together a budget and offer you practical advice along with a debt solution to help you get back on track.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]If you would prefer to talk to us, you can call our free helpline by visiting:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]www.stepchange.org/contactus.aspx. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]There are a number of different solutions available for you and one of our advisors would be happy to talk these through.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    I hope this helps,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]James[/FONT]
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy

If money worries are keeping you awake, read Paul's success story at Need to Sleep

• StepChange_James
    StepChange_James Posts: 861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Rooster01 wrote: »
    Really worried about starting dmp 1st January. I keep thinking have I done the correct thing? Worried about how creditors will react? The one thing that's making me sick with worry is a charging order against my property. I'm hearing more and more about it. Can they start one as soon as I enter dmp? Debts are in my name only but morgage is joint. We currently owe £28,000 but property worth around £177,000. This is what makes me think a charging order will definitely happen. I'm making myself ill with worry.

[FONT=&quot]Hi Rooster01,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Well done on making the first steps to dealing with your debt. We understand that starting a DMP can be worrying at first however if you are having concerns and your DMP is with us, please feel free to give us a call to talk things through. One of our advisors would be happy to have a chat and you can find out how to contact them here: http://www.stepchange.org/Contactus.aspx [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Or, if your DMP is with another provider we suggest you get in touch with them too.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We understand it can be stressful but please try not to worry too much about charging orders and the court process. We often hear from clients that have read into every part of the debt collection process from missed payments to court orders but in reality it’s usually never as complicated or worrying as it may seem. A charging order secures a debt to your property so that if the property is sold the debt is repaid from the proceeds. You can however have a charging order removed once you’ve repaid the debt.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]It’s very uncommon for creditors to apply for charging orders, they can only do this once a county court judgment (CCJ) has been taken. People often worry that a charging order means they will have to sell their home when in reality the creditor would have to apply for a further court order which is extremely rare. We often find that creditors are accepting of DMPs and although we can’t say for certain, some creditors might not even take any further action through the courts at all. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]To give you some perspective about charging orders over 665,000 CCJs were taken out in 2013 and just under 48,000 of these resulted in a charging order. Out of this number only 222 resulted in an order for sale. You can read more about charging orders on our website.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Please bear in mind that it’s not your debt management plan that starts any kind of court processes, it’s the fact that on a DMP you usually make reduced payments to your debts and it’s these reduced payments that have the impact of possible further action.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I hope this helps and if you have any more worries you know where we are,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]James[/FONT]
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy

If money worries are keeping you awake, read Paul's success story at Need to Sleep

• debsaway
    Options
    thank you for your reply,I have a week off work this week and its my aim to get all my creditors informed of my situation myself,I will use your step change guide many thanks
  • Rooster01
    Options

[FONT=&quot]Hi Rooster01,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Well done on making the first steps to dealing with your debt. We understand that starting a DMP can be worrying at first however if you are having concerns and your DMP is with us, please feel free to give us a call to talk things through. One of our advisors would be happy to have a chat and you can find out how to contact them here: http://www.stepchange.org/Contactus.aspx [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Or, if your DMP is with another provider we suggest you get in touch with them too.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We understand it can be stressful but please try not to worry too much about charging orders and the court process. We often hear from clients that have read into every part of the debt collection process from missed payments to court orders but in reality it’s usually never as complicated or worrying as it may seem. A charging order secures a debt to your property so that if the property is sold the debt is repaid from the proceeds. You can however have a charging order removed once you’ve repaid the debt.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]It’s very uncommon for creditors to apply for charging orders, they can only do this once a county court judgment (CCJ) has been taken. People often worry that a charging order means they will have to sell their home when in reality the creditor would have to apply for a further court order which is extremely rare. We often find that creditors are accepting of DMPs and although we can’t say for certain, some creditors might not even take any further action through the courts at all. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]To give you some perspective about charging orders over 665,000 CCJs were taken out in 2013 and just under 48,000 of these resulted in a charging order. Out of this number only 222 resulted in an order for sale. You can read more about charging orders on our website.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Please bear in mind that it’s not your debt management plan that starts any kind of court processes, it’s the fact that on a DMP you usually make reduced payments to your debts and it’s these reduced payments that have the impact of possible further action.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I hope this helps and if you have any more worries you know where we are,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]James[/FONT]

Thanks.....It's Stepchange who I'm with. I requested pack to be sent out....been waiting now for nearly 9 days?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,924 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks.....It's Stepchange who I'm with. I requested pack to be sent out....been waiting now for nearly 9 days?

Hi Rooster01,
    You have made a few posts in which you advise you are worried about the possibility of a charging order been made against you.

Roo, there are millions of people, such as yourself, who owe money they cant afford to pay back.
    Entering a DMP was your best bet at repaying your debts.
    As you have been advised previously, a charging order is quiet rare, and an order for sale, even rarer than that.
    It would simply be impossible for lenders to take court action on every defaulted debt, the system would literally grind to a halt.
    You are just a number to your creditors, one of many, you seem to think the lender is taking this personally, they don't, all there decisions are made purely on a business basis, profit and loss, its that simple.

Stick to your DMP and all should be fine, even if the lender were to apply for a CO, you would have a good defence in court that you were making monthly payments to your debts, a judge would take all this into account.
    You are worrying about something that may never happen, try to calm down and get on with your life, the chances of it happening are very slim, in fact about as rare as having a large Lottery win.
    So crack on with the DMP, stop worrying, and get those debts paid off, good luck with it :)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • bhp6636
    Options
    Question: this may be obvious, but is it better to pay off the lower balances of credit cards or work on paying down the high balance high interest rate ones?
  • Former_StepChange_Rachel
    Former_StepChange_Rachel Posts: 252 Organisation Representative
    Options

Hi there Rooster01,

Could you give us a quick call and we'll look into this for you?

Best regards

Rachel

If money worries are keeping you awake, read Paul's success story at [url="http://www.needtosleep.org]Need to Sleep[/url]

• Former_StepChange_Rachel
    Former_StepChange_Rachel Posts: 252 Organisation Representative
    Options
    bhp6636 wrote: »
    Question: this may be obvious, but is it better to pay off the lower balances of credit cards or work on paying down the high balance high interest rate ones?

Hi there, thanks for posting.

We advise people to first take a look at their budget and work out what is left over once they've paid all of their living costs. From there you can determine what surplus money is left over to pay to each of your creditors. In order to determine exactly what you should offer to each of them, it may be a good idea to prepare a budget and seek some free and confidential debt advice from us. Our anonymous advice tool Debt Remedy can help you do this in approximately 20 minutes.

Hope this helps

Best regards

Rachel

If money worries are keeping you awake, read Paul's success story at [url="http://www.needtosleep.org]Need to Sleep[/url]

• sunshineyday6
    Options
    Heloo-I have received a default notice from creation even though they didn't return a correct cca and the ombudsman is dealing with my case-I am so confused,I stopped paying after not receiving the CCA and had so many calls which have now stopped thank goodness, is this correect whilst it is with the ombudsman ??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure