PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

'supporting each other through really tough times'

Options

Comments

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    have a truly wonderful day Stiltwalker

Fuddle you will be very comfortable in that little cabin, probably much more comfortable than in a cheap hotel. Have you ever seen Frugal Queen's blog? She has one holiday a year in France staying in a place just like that (although she goes to Brittany, not the South of France) Have a look at her blog to see how she manages to do it as cheaply as possible. She goes during the May half term each year so you will have to scroll back
    http://frugalincornwall.blogspot.co.uk/
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Aria`s_Tail
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    :D thanks. I tried the olive oil last night and it didn't really do anything for them.

Oil will only work on leather as it soaks in, on rubber and plastic it just sits on the surface and smears horribly.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks mary, I follow frugal queen but only recently. I will have a look later.

I remember on WTfarm that she used real featherd bound together for her duster. I've got a big fancy colourful thing on a long stick and I'm ashamed to say it doesn't see the light of day as much as it should. (trundles off thinking guilty about the stairs spindles.)

Decided I'm going to make a treacle tart for after tea. Mam will get stewing steak in onion gravy, yorkshires and peas and treacle tart and custard. Reckon she'll like that.
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I read the cooking article. Is it me or does it imply that cooking is women's work? I've never made pasta nor will I. There is only DS here who eats it, and he is 3 so only little portions. What would be the point? And why should we be encouraged to bake cakes regularly? I thought cakes were bad for you? It was like reading something from the 1950s. Coincidentally, this is when the ladies in their mid-fifties will have been born. Hmm.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    grhhh, I just cancelled our holiday as dh is developing bronchitis and I have started him on his `standby` antibiotics and steroids. Oh no, not once have I mentioned going on a 4 hour bike ride in the cold and rain last weekend with seven others, one of whom was poorly with the same. It was only a matter of time!! where the flipping heck is common sense in some of these males. No insurance cover as this is pre-existing so just bit the bullet. He got his first bronchitis in malta and it was hell for the 10 days there, so losing the money is the least of it.

Anyway I have 3 lakeland heated towel airers, all on at once during the day as from last night. It will cost but the house is ultra insulated. They are spread in the core of the north side of the house. I would put the pellet stove on but it is the thought of humping all those bags of pellets off a pallet on the lane and then cleaning the stove. I have the most central airer one on a timer and it does make a good difference

I am cutting meat out in the short term, while he has this itis (inflammation) and have already got the mackerel out of the freezer and am making a big effort in the next few days re veg juices etc
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    Molly you absolutely do the correct thing in ignoring what if's. There's what if's for all of us in many a different form. I despair at what our 'news' is turning into... people's opinions. Nobody really knows what is going to happen but so many people are experts. So many people know. They don't they just express an opinion and other people pick it up as gospel.

I agree on that point...once upon a time you were presented with as far as we knew facts. It was written and spoken in a very straight forward manner and it is possible to put both sides across and leaving it to the viewer and reader to then make their minds up from what they are told but now as you say there are experts or so called experts all putting views and opinions across(and many make a good living out of it)going around all the different broadcasters.

A bit like how the same comedians turn up on every comedy panel show...

It does make it difficult to find the truth amongst the rubbish that just confuses things...

Hey Fuddle, I found three or free e-books for downloading on Amazon a bit like self help type with ideas to try and help with duifficult times/depression so do keep looking out as they come up all the time and they might give you ideas to help you.

You keep talking about your holiday. It's great to have some good news. Your chalet looks lovely. I have done a few coach trips in this country but have never been abroad myself...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    SDG31000 wrote: »
    Today I am in the shop until 1pm and plan to spend the rest of the day knitting. I want to knit the other front panel of the cardigan I am making before Tuesday and my Knit and Natter group. One of the ladies is going to teach me how to knit both sleeves at once using two needles and two balls of wool. I also need to ask the knitters on here if anyone has a pattern for a ladies waistcoat/sleeveless top using chunky wool. I have 500g of gorgeous tweed wool I want to knit next, but the patterns I have use much more wool. I might have to find some more that will match in to do parts of it.

Funnily enough I was contemplating doing both sleeves at once of my current project as it only has 29 stitches. But didn't think it would save me any time.

Edit - Doh, it isn't the sleeves it's the front panels. It hasn't got any sleeves!

I have found this
    http://www.sirdar.co.uk/designs/womens/waistcoats/9061

which is doable with the wool you have.

I am currently knitting this

http://www.sirdar.co.uk/designs/womens/jackets/9057

in dusky pink. It says it needs 14 50g balls, but I can't see it using that many - the back was just over 200g. It is ridiculously easy (tho I haven't got to the shawl collar yet!)

castleton wrote: »
    Possession _ this is just a suggestion, but my husband always buys 1 jacket to 2 pairs of trousers. The suit lasts much longer as the trousers wear out before the jacket. Good Luck to your hubby

So does mine.
    mardatha wrote: »
    I agree that Scotland has the best scenery in Europe if not the world- but then I'm biased ;) Yes Mallaig is gorgeous, white sand and turquoise sea.

It wasn't flipping gorgeous when I went - peeing down with rain, limited visibility and I was sick as a dog from being in the first trimester of pregnancy! :rotfl: However, I did kind of "get it" and would love to go back. Trouble is, if i'm travelling that far I'd rather go to France - it's warmer :p

I must do some chores before I go off to yoga. Suddenly realised that I have an awful lot of work to do over this weekend. DD and I are off to the theatre tomorrow to see Blood Brothers, really excited. Hoping my MrT vouchers arrive in time for us to use them for a meal out beforehand. I may tackle DS bedroom later....
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Popperwell
    Options
    Morning to all,

Wishing Stiltwalker a lovely day today - hope it stays dry!
    Please don't anyone get too worried by the scaremongering about the change from DLA to PIP. No-one will have their claims cancelled in 2013, that's just the first cut-off point whereby folks will be assessed for benefit under the new criteria (although under 16's and over 64's will still get DLA). There is no evidence to state that folks will be 20% less well off - each person will be asssessed as before. Adults currently receiving DLA will be asked to apply for PIP as their DLA awards come to an end, and those will lifetime awards will probably be re-assessed in 2017,as these are being left until last.

The 20% less figure actually refers to the supposed amount of people overall that they hope will be found well enough not to need benefits, but this is just conjecture as we won't know until larger numbers of folks have their claims processed.

WCS

Thanks for that I am sure it will help many and again this is what comes of how/what they report in the media or what politicians say to get a reaction even the local CAB did go along with what had been said and were unable to give real advice...even the official website had the CAB confused.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • Popperwell
    Options
    I'm going north for a few days next week -staying at Plockton but will be visiting Skye and Applecross Inn for lunch. Beautiful country.
    My fav campsite around Fort William Fuddle is Red Squirrel - it's really cheap, usually full of bikers who always have a fantastic time and are great at keeping the kids entertained, and there's a great pub just along the road.
    WCS

My last holiday with Mum probably around 15 years ago was in Fort William(went by coach)it was lovely. Always hoped to go back...one day who knows...where does the time go?

• Sunshine4
    Options
    Fuddle Can I come for tea sounds lovely.

I have a question to ask please. I am a knitter have been for years, but until my shoulder is fixed I am not allowed to knit. I was wondering if crocheting was easy to do and learn. Also would it be easy on my left arm, if you know what I mean. Hope that doesnt sound too stupid the way I have asked. Thank you:)

Denise
    C.R.A.P. R.O.O.L.Z. Member. 21 Norn Iron deputy h
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family