Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Christmas Saving Schemes

My mum and her friend used to use a Thrift club run by the local British Legion to save for Christmas. This is the last year the club is going to run the scheme and so from next year they need to find another way of saving.

The payments are approximately £10 and £20 per week.

I suggested a traditional post office savings account but they no longer exist, the new accounts are either for a minimum of £500 initial investment or they're operated on-line. Both of them are over 70 and although my mum has an iPad she's not confident enough to use an on-line account and her friend doesn't own a computer so those accounts aren't going to be feasible for them to operate.

The post office Christmas saving scheme only allows you to spend the money in certain shops. Only one supermarket that I can see is signed up for the scheme and it's not one her friend can get to. Plus they'd really just like the money in a cheque or cash form.

Ideally they need somewhere local they can make deposits in cash.

Any suggestions?

Replies

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard