Internet radio?

Options
I'm wondering if it's worth buying one but I know very little about them. So, could you kind people talk me through the pro's and con's, things to look out for and maybe recommendations. If I do buy one I'm only looking at spending £100 give or take £20.

Many thanks.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    do you listen to a lot of radio?
    If you have an android phone/tablet/iphone/ipad you can get tunein radio and see how useful you think it is before spending money on a standalone device, you can also use tunein radio from a web browser...
  • john1
    john1 Posts: 405 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    18 months ago I purchased a Bush internet radio from Argos sale at around £25. Use it every day as bedside radio.

Whether I would pay £100 for another doubtful, as now there are some very good smartphone apps which are just as good if you link to amplifier.

Get a low cost smart phone don't bother with SIM card, not needed for wifi.. Connect to your home wifi, install app, connect to hifi loud speaker amplifier, charger and away you go The whole world radio is now broadcasting on the internet.
  • chunter
    chunter Posts: 2,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had a Freecom Musicpal for the past few years and it's excellent.
    Plugs into my own amp and it's wired to my router (although the radio is wireless)
    Took a while learning how to use it.
    Thousands of channels. Including 6 year-round Christmas stations.
    Can browse by country or music type.
    And you have a number of favourites.
  • brandx
    brandx Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for replies so far.

I do have a smartphone and a tablet and I already listen on my laptop occasionally but I really want something I can use in the kitchen or by the bedside.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Buy a Pure Evoke Flow.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,447 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you want to listen to you premier league football team commentary, then, forget it - it don't work!

:(
  • brandx
    brandx Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    penrhyn wrote: »
    Buy a Pure Evoke Flow.

Pro's and con's?

Thanks
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have several Pure radio's, top brand. Work well. Use custom battery packs that are expensive. My internet radio is Avant I flow,, bit indulgent but very good.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Robm1955
    Robm1955 Posts: 543 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a Logitech Squeezebox radio, and wouldn't be without it. I've had it a couple of years now. Not only can I listen to internet radio, but I can listen to music stored on my pc, from anywhere in the house. Works great as an alarm clock too. It also has other apps that are good. I too have a smart phone with TuneIn Radio, but it tends to 'buffer' alot, whereas the radio doesn't. Don't know the cost, as it was given as a present.
  • chunter
    chunter Posts: 2,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    If you want to listen to you premier league football team commentary, then, forget it - it don't work!

:(
    Being listening to radio 5 commentaries for years on mine. Never been a problem. Explain further.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure