Best Premier Current Accounts Article Discussion Area

Comments

• PurpleJay
    PurpleJay Posts: 526
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Adding onto Clive's question about the Coop Premier accounts - if I joined the cheaper one without the breakdown cover, can I upgrade to the more expensive one when mine runs out or am I tied in to a contract period? Seemed silly to have them overlapping. Breakdown cover runs out in the summer.

Thanks.
    'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've just closed my select silver account, on paper the savings were good, however having struggled dealing with the mobile phone cover provided by CPP, the 25% hike in price made me realise I was better off closing it.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,852
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I stopped being lazy and gave Coop a call. Apparently you can upgrade/downgrade at any time (even to a non fee-paying current account), you are not tied in to a long term contract.

:D
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,046
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I use HSBC Premier as I meet the requirements for this based on my cash isa deposits (currently at 2.75%). You then also qualify for the preferential regular saver account (was 8%, next one will be 6%)

Personally I am not one for premier or relationship banking (I switched from having a relationship manager to just using the premier call centre - which is brilliant, the best of any bank I have ever used - but do most of my banking online).

'Premier' banking is a bit pretentious in my opinion, but that should not detract from the excellent service and value this account seems to offer.

You get worldwide travel insurance included, can use hsbc branches and premier banking centres worldwide, £500 interest-free overdraft (useful) and £1000 per day cash limit at ATMs. Excellent mortgage offers too (some of the cheapest i've seen)

And there is no fee!

I'm much the same as you are, and my relationship with HSBC actually started when I lived in Russia. I'm too tight to pay for it, though, and I'm certainly too tight to leave any other cash with them, although I do find their investment rates appealing.

If you're planning to move to a country they deal in, HSBC is one of the best on the market, as you can use an internal credit rating with them anywhere in the world.

My Premier manager is also my Commercial manager, who is based on the same trading estate as we're on, and regularly visits me in the office at my request, so it's good if you're a business customer, too.

CK
    💙💛 💔
  • We had a barclays addition account for quite a few years and probably didnt use all the benefits properly BUT a couple of years ago we changed to Barclays premier, £17.50 per month, which covers both our Iphones and as from this friday (1/2/13) we can add the childrens phones too! We use the airport angels facility if we fly anywhere (can be used up to 6 times a year - we dont fly anywhere that much :(), but well worth it if only used once and especially if you have a delay ;).

We also have in place the RAC cover if ever needed, we have our PC and ipad covered on the gadget cover and also recently were able to access Barclays Premier Lounge at the O2 Arena before a concert ..... which was fab, no long queues trying to get a drink and somewhere very comfortable to sit for drinks and nibbles before the concert started.

Am also signed up to Barclays Lifestyle which gives some discounts (not at lot) on airport parking and certain restaurants at restricted times etc. Also registered for Barclays concierge service (not used them yet, but you never know when you might need their services).

We are pleased with our account and would recommend to others. Not entirely sure if Barclays still sell the account though as when i done MSE survey and which best account would suit us, Barclays Premier didnt come up :think:
  • I know Marks and Spencer has a new bank account which has travel insurance as an option. I think it is 15£ a month, not sure, but you get that and loads of other extras which are really useful if you are a regular shopper there.
    Has anyone looked into it at all?
    If I were born five years later, none of this would have happened!!
  • We had a barclays addition account for quite a few years and probably didnt use all the benefits properly BUT a couple of years ago we changed to Barclays premier, £17.50 per month, which covers both our Iphones and as from this friday (1/2/13) we can add the childrens phones too! We use the airport angels facility if we fly anywhere (can be used up to 6 times a year - we dont fly anywhere that much :(), but well worth it if only used once and especially if you have a delay ;).

We also have in place the RAC cover if ever needed, we have our PC and ipad covered on the gadget cover and also recently were able to access Barclays Premier Lounge at the O2 Arena before a concert ..... which was fab, no long queues trying to get a drink and somewhere very comfortable to sit for drinks and nibbles before the concert started.

Am also signed up to Barclays Lifestyle which gives some discounts (not at lot) on airport parking and certain restaurants at restricted times etc. Also registered for Barclays concierge service (not used them yet, but you never know when you might need their services).

We are pleased with our account and would recommend to others. Not entirely sure if Barclays still sell the account though as when i done MSE survey and which best account would suit us, Barclays Premier didnt come up :think:

It's a great value account but sadly not for sale anymore, would cost over £30 a month for the same benefit with their add on packages these days.
  • Toe-Jam
    Toe-Jam Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    I've just tried to Claim off my Ulsterbank Mobile insurance with CPP, absolutely hopeless, Have tried 3 phone numbers 2 email addresses been on hold for 2 hours a day for the last 3 days and not got a single response.

Bank couldn't care less, its not our department attitude.

If I didn't use the Ticket Booking Service so heavily I'd cancel it on the spot.

Am out a fortune now on a new phone:(
  • kingjs
    kingjs Posts: 18 Forumite
    We had a barclays addition account for quite a few years and probably didnt use all the benefits properly BUT a couple of years ago we changed to Barclays premier, £17.50 per month, which covers both our Iphones and as from this friday (1/2/13) we can add the childrens phones too! We use the airport angels facility if we fly anywhere (can be used up to 6 times a year - we dont fly anywhere that much :(), but well worth it if only used once and especially if you have a delay ;).

I've used their breakdown cover twice (both for my dad's old banger!) , and was lucky enough to get free 3 x Liverpool FC tickets in Jan as part of their premiership draw, and last year I got 4 free tickets to Alton Towers too so that paid for a years worth of membership. Never had to claim under any of the insurance policies and the interest free £1000 overdraft is handy too
  • It is worth noting that the Co-Op Privilege and Privilege Premier products have been withdrawn for new customers.

In addition it is no longer possible to change from on of these accounts to the other.

All benefits remain for existing customers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure