I want Fibre!

Options
SKY has some nice 6 month free deals for broadband, but I can't see any for fibre broadband. Do you know of any, or with another broadband supplier?

Thanks,

Jon

Comments

• Timalay
    Timalay Posts: 906 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    6 months should only apply to standard adsl broadband, their fibre product is in their eyes is a premium product. You'll be very hard pushed to get it half price for 6 months.

Maybe your best bet would be ringing them saying you want to cancel.
  • diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    They told me on a call to sign up for FREE broadband then after activated add Fibre, I would only pay the fibre "bolt on" charge of it in my 6 months free period.

Email them, I would not take word of a script monkey, in email you have proof.
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • Jon12345
    Options
    Hey diamonds, that sounds interesting. So you get the standard broadband, but how much is the "bolt on" charge?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 October 2012 at 1:07PM
    Options
    Since all the fibre services are just resold BT Wholesale products, it's unlikely that any other provider can help you until BT have upgraded to your local street cab, if they ever do.
    Have you checked for BT Infinity and Plusnet Fibre availability?
    Beware of signing up on a promise of future fibre availability, as the dates in many areas have gone back and are continuing to do so: my own cab has been delayed more than 8 months already this year. Originally April, then September, now December.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Jon12345
    Jon12345 Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    The SKY availability checker said I can get fibre.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think I misread your post, I thought you were querying availability, not discounts.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • hareng
    hareng Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looks like they have connected their network to my local exchange in last 6 months.

Enter your phone number and postcode in the checker here.
    http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/broadband-compare/

A list of available products will appear.
    Sky fibre starts at £20 p/m which is unlimited and up to 38meg download speed. The Pro is £30 p/m and up to 76meg download speed.
    All plus £14.50 phone line rental and weekend calls. 12 month min contract.
    £50 setup fee plus postage £2.16 for router.
    Their checker states 28meg less than BT which uses same cabling etc from the exchange.

The fibre on BT may look better value but when adding in the rental and calls, thats where they sting you. ie £1.65 plus vat for a local call number after 6pm lasting 18mins. 45p for same 3 min call.

If you want service when it goes down, you will have to go to a smaller provider.

Link to a database of FTTC providers, not sure if its up to date.
    https://spreadsheets0.google.com/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AquiMM6uTUUzdHl4RGRZcnE1WWw0SVlLcVlzQWZuVFE&output=html
    Plusnets capped 8am to midnight so will appear to be cheaper!
    Some small companies from £20 p/m unlimited after a certain time and offer a service the biggies cant muster, its worth a thought. Wish i had gone that way again and retained previous phone provider.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Someone really should report them to the ASA. Only when the customer GETS fibre, should they advertise this.

Since customers still only getting copper in the same way they always have, it is misleading and a misdirection on what it being provided.
  • Timalay
    Timalay Posts: 906 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    Someone really should report them to the ASA. Only when the customer GETS fibre, should they advertise this.

Since customers still only getting copper in the same way they always have, it is misleading and a misdirection on what it being provided.

I could not disagree with you more. It is fibre to the cabinet, which is a darn sight faster than copper from the exchange, and a step in the right direction. Also Virgin don't use full fibre to the home, they use coaxial cable part of the way.
    Also a full fttp (fibre to the premises) roll out by bt would cost way to much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure