i dont understand anything!

Options
Hi everyone im 23 and I want my money to earn interest. I have £1000 cash in my piggy bank. I live at home so the only bills I have are phone and car. I put about £200 a week from my wages into my piggy bank because if its in my bank account I will spend it! Maybe an isa account where i can't withdraw anything for a while would be best? But which Isa? I dont understand any 'bank talk' and Apr and % means nothing to me....any help? PS please explain as if your talking to a child. I really do need the banking for dummies version :)

Comments

• Bob_the_Saver
    Options

Can we take it that you work for a bank?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Can we take it that you work for a bank?

ooh, Bob, you are a one:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll exaggerate for the rest of his life.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    please explain as if your talking to a child.
    Why not ask mummy or daddy to take you to the bank and ask the nice man/woman behind the counter to open a savings account for you.
  • joelsbeads
    Options
    yes, it's a great idea. But the questions are: Can you really do it? and that nice woman will really help you?..
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I dont understand any 'bank talk' and Apr and % means nothing to me....any help?

I know this is going to come across a cruel, but ...

If you're 23 and don't yet understand percentages, then you initially need to invest in yourself. Perhaps some night classes in maths and/or some basic books on savings and investments?

This will give you a *much* better return on your money than anything else ever could.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure