We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Fox in garden scaring our placid lab wispa

Options
2»

Comments

• zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well I wouldn't fancy having any foxes in my back garden, gorgeous or not.

If my dogs got out there'd be carnage.
  • picklepick
    picklepick Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As said before, foxes can jump over a 6ft fence with ease and they can fit through the tiniest of holes. You need male urine sprayed around the perimeter of your garden.
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Fox and Bob the Westie tend to live in harmony in our garden. We have a fence that due to differences in land height must be well over 6ft in places and he can happily scrabble over it.

On the occasions they have been in the yard together both treat eachother with indifference really. Fox is quite tame though, we live in an urban area with a large field and wood behind us so we have many foxes (I counted 8 in the street together one night when the cubs were tiny). I am guilty of throwing out a meal for them in the winter months, and in the spring I'm usually rewarded with a garden full of cubs happily playing (an amazing sight!)

The only issue with them Ive ever had stems from my 19 year old DS who insists on sleeping with his first floor bedroom window open. Under his window is the conservatory and due to the levels of the garden there is a wall which runs parallel to the roof, so the foxes will often settle on the conservatory roof on a warm patch and chill.

This particular night DS heard a noise, pulled back the curtain and came nose to nose with a fox. Needless to say he now closes his window lmao
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    picklepick wrote: »
    As said before, foxes can jump over a 6ft fence with ease and they can fit through the tiniest of holes. You need male urine sprayed around the perimeter of your garden.

Will male dog urine do or do I have to press O/H into service after a couple of beers?:D
  • picklepick
    picklepick Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    zaksmum wrote: »
    Will male dog urine do or do I have to press O/H into service after a couple of beers?:D

Haha I've no idea actually, only heard of using human urine as it's easier to collect I suppose. Best to collect it in a designated watering can, and then sprinkle it around in one go. You need to keep it up too, especially if it's been raining a lot!
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • Paradigm
    Paradigm Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    F_Bear wrote: »
    background: 3 bed semi, edge of city estate (HU7 3EL). fully fenced gardem 8m x 6m with grass, decking and a shed sat on paving stones.

wispa is a 4yr old lady and we put tomato sauce in her food so no brown patches of grass.

first noticed 2 big brown patches last week and wispa avoiding the shed. fears were comfirmed tonight when OH put the spot lights on for wispa to go out wee wee and there was a horrible big fox on the grass and ran behind the shed!

firstly, i cant see how the fox got in or were its staying. the fence is secure and no holes under it. the shed is on paving stones so cant be under it. will investigate more behind the shed tomo.

secondaly, how can i get rid of it? its possible it may be 'stuck' in the garden if its got in and cant get out??

OH said it was bigger than wispa!

You sure it was a fox? Foxes are quite tiny & are no way near the size of a 4yo Lab.

Foxes are no real threat to most dogs, except the smallest (disease excepted).
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport