Fox in garden scaring our placid lab wispa

Options
background: 3 bed semi, edge of city estate (HU7 3EL). fully fenced gardem 8m x 6m with grass, decking and a shed sat on paving stones.

wispa is a 4yr old lady and we put tomato sauce in her food so no brown patches of grass.

first noticed 2 big brown patches last week and wispa avoiding the shed. fears were comfirmed tonight when OH put the spot lights on for wispa to go out wee wee and there was a horrible big fox on the grass and ran behind the shed!

firstly, i cant see how the fox got in or were its staying. the fence is secure and no holes under it. the shed is on paving stones so cant be under it. will investigate more behind the shed tomo.

secondaly, how can i get rid of it? its possible it may be 'stuck' in the garden if its got in and cant get out??

OH said it was bigger than wispa!

Comments

• con1888
    con1888 Posts: 1,847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's unusual to see a big fox where I am, most are quite small, they can get through tiny spaces though.

Wee usually keeps them away but obv that isn't working... to get it out you could just leave a gate open overnight and it will be gone by morning, check for any spaces to avoid it getting back in.
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    Foxes are beautiful :)
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Options
    Foxes can easily jump a 6ft fence (do you really have a 6m=18ft fence?) I've seen them do it lots of times.. we have foxes in our front garden all the time never had any brown patches though. My daughter kept a fox out of her garden (she had pet rabbits) by getting her partner to pee around the perimeter of the garden (at night when the neighbours were in bed).

I happen to think foxes are beautiful too.
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • con1888
    Options
    Another vote for loving foxes.

One killed my cousins dog though, years ago, they said it must have been ravenous or sick though as they usually keep their distance.
  • con1888
    Options
    ps the dog was a yorkie.
  • susan1
    susan1 Posts: 319 Forumite
    Options
    Only this afternoon I saw our local fox in the garden and wondered what it was up to. It was trying to attack a cat who was standing her ground and swiping him on the nose. He went of very disgusted with himself!
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The problems isn't the foxes its people. The foxes SHOULD be so scared of people they won't come near gardens. I am glad we live in a rural area when you rarely see a fox except where you should see them in the distance over a field. People in urban areas feed them which is crazy, effectively encouraging a wild, agressive hunter to your back door.

Sadly in certain areas - Bristol is a case in point, a softly softly approach has led to an explosion in the fox population and there are more and more reports of fox attacks on pets and in some cases children and adults, eventually this will lead to an outcry and they will end up culling the foxes. All because a few simply rules weren't followed- secure all food waste and clear FOOD waste weekly, instruct householders not to feed them and if seen in gardens to chase them off. This would have ensured the foxes still had an in build fear of humans and avoided the growth in numbers.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There was a really fat placid fox that lived on my old uni campus surviving on dropped fast food. It was on to a winner, it'd follow groups of drunk students home at a discreet distance of about 15 feet clearing up chips and bits of kebab!
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Foxes are gorgeous! No food plus no easy entry or hiding place will reduce your fox problem. Who on your street has a compost heap or is not keeping all their food waste in a secure bin?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I live on the outskirts of London and we have several foxes running around in between the blocks of flats at night.... They do not worry me, my cats and dog are inddors at night
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure