Expedia dodging a refund...

I recently booked a trip to Paris for me, my mum and sister. Unfortunately, the date proved to be difficult for my mum, so I called Expedia to work out what to do. They immediately refunded the cost of the hotel, and emailed me with Eurostar's details for a refund for the travel. Eurostar, however, advised that the refund needed to go through Expedia, as we had booked with them. I emailed the Expedia advisor who had organised the partial email, but heard nothing from him. I called, several times. Some advisors disconnected me, another promised to 'escalate it' to a team that would listen to what was said on the call with the first advisor, but I still haven't heard anything from them. It has been just over a month - and I was promised a call from the 'escalation' team within 48hrs. I can't believe that a company can just 'dodge' engaging with me - they owe me £250! And they have already said that Eurostar would underwrite amy repayment to me that was needed. What more can I do? I need the money back so that I can reschedule our Paris trip :mad:

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Did you pay by creditcard? If so, you can ask your provider to help recover your money.
  • I recently booked a trip to Paris for me, my mum and sister. Unfortunately, the date proved to be difficult for my mum, so I called Expedia to work out what to do. They immediately refunded the cost of the hotel, and emailed me with Eurostar's details for a refund for the travel. Eurostar, however, advised that the refund needed to go through Expedia, as we had booked with them. I emailed the Expedia advisor who had organised the partial email, but heard nothing from him. I called, several times. Some advisors disconnected me, another promised to 'escalate it' to a team that would listen to what was said on the call with the first advisor, but I still haven't heard anything from them. It has been just over a month - and I was promised a call from the 'escalation' team within 48hrs. I can't believe that a company can just 'dodge' engaging with me - they owe me £250! And they have already said that Eurostar would underwrite amy repayment to me that was needed. What more can I do? I need the money back so that I can reschedule our Paris trip :mad:

Surely it would have been sensible to check the availability of your fellow travellers BEFORE making a booking?

You seem to be expecting a full refund which is unrealistic unless the T&Cs you booked under specifically allow this which is extremely doubtful. If you make a booking with a travel firm and then need to cancel for your own reasons it is highly likely that at the very least there will be a cost involved and at worst most/all of the money will be lost.

I hate to tell you this but there is every chance that you will not get a refund for Eurostar. The cheapest tickets sold on Eurostar are, just like their airline equivalent, non-exchangable and non-refundable. This may not have been the case with the hotel element hence the partial refund. Expedia may be trying to help on a goodwill basis or they may be pointing you at Eurostar hoping that that company will take such a stance.

Should Eurostar offer you tickets for another date as opposed to a refund I would in your situation snap their ands off!
  • Incidentally I use Eurostar regularly and the cheapest tickets are £59 each way, although travel firms buying in bulk may get a discount. £59 x 2 (for return) x 3 (number of people) equals £354. I am at loss as to where your £250 comes from. Unless of course that is the difference between your total payments and the hotel refund.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure