Windows 8 Pro - £24.99

Options
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/buy

Offer valid from October 26, 2012 until January 31, 2013 and is limited to five upgrade licenses per customer.

To install Windows 8 Pro, customers must be running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, or Windows 7.

Comments

• john_kent
    Options
    Looks like a bit of desperation on the part of Microsoft.

With an aging laptop (missing keys , dieing battery and dead pixels) and a replacement to be purchased soon , I am now seriously considering an imac/mac/macbook/apple thingy to better link up all the kit in the house.
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The upgrade could be a pain in the a$$ if you want to re-format the computer using restore. You would have to install Win7 again, then download & upgrade again..

I wonder if they will issue you another Product Key, or would it just use some of the update software to activate.

The only benefit i can see, if that we have 3 computers, 1 with Win7 Pro, 1 with Win7 Home & the last has Win7 Starter.

The Win7 Starter has a few issues as not all features are available..
  • k599rag
    k599rag Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    You would have to install Win7 again, then download & upgrade again..

I've downloaded the software and it allows u to create an ISO (DVD image) on your hard disk which you can use to create a DVD to install when you are ready. I have no plans to upgrade yet until I've had a chance to see what reveiws W8 gets and what "bugs" are found! Maybe I'll upgrade when the 1st service pack is out!!
  • daveg72
    daveg72 Posts: 212 Forumite
    Options
    And the Windows 8 Media Centre Pack is free for a limited time only also:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/feature-packs
  • inspace
    inspace Posts: 529 Forumite
    Options
    k599rag wrote: »
    I've downloaded the software and it allows u to create an ISO (DVD image) on your hard disk which you can use to create a DVD to install when you are ready. I have no plans to upgrade yet until I've had a chance to see what reveiws W8 gets and what "bugs" are found! Maybe I'll upgrade when the 1st service pack is out!!

Did they supply you with a new product key.
    Save saynoto0870.com in your favorites, and stop giving companies more £££ dialling 0870 numbers when you can dial freephones or cheaper alternatives.:j
  • k599rag
    k599rag Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    inspace wrote: »
    Did they supply you with a new product key.

Yes, they did. Emailed it to me.
  • bruticus
    bruticus Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    k599rag wrote: »

As a techie, I got the download last week. It does indeed let you burn it as an ISO, so you can install on any PC as a fresh install.

I've done a dual boot on my laptop as I currently love Win 7, and hate Win 8. At least Win 8 only cost me £15 in the upgrade deal, but need to know how to use it unfortunately
  • Basil1234
    Basil1234 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    edited 29 October 2012 at 4:17PM
    Options
    for those even considering upgrading i seriously suggest you have a look at bbc click link below and watch report prog at top of screen it doesn't look good imho basically looks like a vista flop for many reasons see for yourself.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/
    or better link
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9763977.stm

also bear in mind it is designed for touch screens firstly how many people have got touch screens.

the ceo reminds me of stevie wonder basically blindly going ahead even if walking across an american 7 lane motorway.
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    I will not be downloading it onto mine, that's for sure
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• ventureuk
    ventureuk Posts: 354 Forumite
    Options
    I've used everything from MS Basic through MS Dos, all the Windows OS's, many variants of Linux and few from Apple.

After only 48hrs with Windows 8 I believe it's the best yet, I can understand the traditionalists not liking the 'modern' features and Metro interface but it offers the home user so much over previous variants that for £25 you'd be daft not to update.

I've spent 90% of my time on the desktop and dipped into Metro to open PDFs and tinker with Apps (TuneIn Radio and FilmOn.TV are excellent), there are new keystroke shortcuts to all the old stuff, CPU and memory use are well down compared with Vista and 7.

I have to take my hat off to MS, this is an excellent version of Windows for the home user. For the power user or for business however, Metro should be stripped out and the Start button returned.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure