I thought I had covered all bases (talktalk)

Options
Hello all

This is my first post, but Ive been lurking here for ages :) and this site had taught and saved me alot.
Anyway let me get to the point

I recently moved and decided to take my current internet package with me, this was because mainly becuase the speeds would be the same, I was told I would get a freeTV box installed, It was free of charge to move and I had recently been made redundant (this made more sense to take the package as I would not have to outlay any money - and the rival company I was thinking about would only result in a £20 per year in savings). I was told for this I would just have to agree to a new 12 month contract.

Now I have moved and my internet has "gone live". I have now called up talktalk to request my free TV upgrade. I have now been told that it is not free and I have to pay a £50 installation fee and agree to a new 24 month contract.

So my question is can I cancell my contract and not incur any "contract breakage costs". I have a good grasp of how these work.
If I had been informed of the 24Month contract agreement and £50 installation fee I would have chosen to pay the contract breakage fee for my previous addree and choose a rival company.
Does anybody know I would be entitled to cancel my contract at no fee due to not being provided all information when the descion was made?

Kindest Regards

PS. The only way I feel I can contribute to the forum at the moment is for home renting users. I can reccomend a book called "Renting - The essential guide to tenants rights" by Tessa Shepperson and published by Lawpack (this book taught me alot of information)

Comments

• bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have anything in writing (email is fine) confirming the free TV package, no fees and 12 month contract?

An alternative is to raise a Subject Access request (SAR) on TT for them to supply you with copies of all information they hold about you, including telephone recordings. (TT can charge up to £10 for this, and have up to 40 days to comply). Then you can use this to argue with them that they either supply the contracted services for the agreed terms, or they let you exit the contract with no ETCs.

However you might get a quicker and easier resolution by posting in the TTMF.
  • sywolf
    sywolf Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Nothing in writing but I beleive I still have the name, time and date of the intial telephone call. As they claim all calls are recorded could this be used?

Thanks for the forum link - I didnt even know it existed :)
  • Wayne3765
    Wayne3765 Posts: 631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No use to you now but do they have live chat ? if they do and you have any more questions for them then use the live chat and email a copy to yourself.
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    they don't record all calls despite what they say... funnily they never seem to have recordings of the calls where these such things are claimed...
  • sywolf
    Options
    Last time when a similar sitauation occur, with some articulate shouting I managed to get the charges they didnt tell me about waivered. I only had name and time of phone when I did this. I think a long phone call is going to be in order
  • diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 25 October 2012 at 7:21PM
    Options
    Email dido.harding@taktalkplc.com asking for a copy of the call recording under Data Protection Act from TT Data Compliance Officer.

Tell them nothing of the complaint as the recording will "not exist".

Avoid all calls, email only as a record as TT staff lie lie lie regardless of level including Dido's "Executive staff"
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The YouView box is indeed free, but there is a £50 install charge. Did you specifically ask if any other chages would apply?
    Slightly naive to think that you would get a £300 PVR for only a 12m lock in?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    not nieve if customer was indeed misled, they misled me.
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • sywolf
    Options
    hello, sorry for the delay in replying.

Yes when the lady I spoke to on the phone said the TV package was free as it was already included in my contract and I would just have to register online. I asked if I would have to pay any installation charges and they specificy said no! Also there was no mention of the 24month contract lock in when this was explained to me - I assumed the PVR box would have to be returned at the end of contract.

I am going to request my call logs ax suggested above. and review them before making a watertight case to talk talk.

From the sounds of other on this forum talktalk have a habit or mis selling and then not allowing the contract to be cancelled without a fee.

For arugmenets sake and to save having to mail them - do research - and mail them again. If I had no evidence of the recording or the terms or the contact as explained do I have any legal rights that I can argue on - apart from being arkward customer

many thanks again
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    To get the call logs (and specifically the recordings) you'll need to issue a Subject Access Request (SAR) to TalkTalk for copies of ALL data they hold on you (including phone call recordings). They can charge up to £10 for this (for admin) and can take up to 40 days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure