We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is this correct?

Options

Comments

• glenderg
    glenderg Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that the NW Credit Card is run by a third party (not sure who, mabye MBNA?) and not Nationwide themselves.

I don't think so, i think you will find that the Nationwide Credit Card
    belongs to Nationwide
    Be good to the young on their way up you might need them on your way down.
  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    glenderg wrote: »
    I don't think so, i think you will find that the Nationwide Credit Card belongs to Nationwide

Then why does it still take three days (at least) for a payment from my Nationwide Current Account to my Nationwide Credit Card? I can transfer funds between Nationwide accounts without the gap....

Or is it just them being fiendish...?
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Because the credit cards are not held in same branch as your account.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,694 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you had your parents best interests at heart the why go about it the way you are, sort out a power of attorney so that they and you are covered.

I know this is off topic but can anyone give my info on what EPA costs to get set up and also what the responsibilities entail e.g. does it give you the right to make decisions about hospital treatment as well as signing cheques?

In answer to the question there are many reasons it hasn't been done
    1) money
    2) time (we spend a lot of time working away abroad)
    3) not really knowing fully what it involves

I'm not really sure whether it's appropriate but I WILL investigate.

I think some people have got the wrong end of the stick (probably my fault) regarding what king of transactions I am engaged in.
    I have never contacted a CC company or signed up to anything contractual on their behalf. Only obtained forms and information.

I am not sure whether an EPA is appropriate because I don't want to be responsible for medical decisions hence I need to know exactly what it entails before deciding whether it's appropriate or not.

Cheers
  • lisyloo
    Options
    Wow, I've just checked and it's £120 each to register an EPA.
    The people in question are on state benefits.

So I'm afraid for the type of stuff I'm doing (which is NOT signing any contracts) then I'm sorry but it won't be happening as it's simply too expensive.

I realise it could save some heartache, but if anyone wants to sue me for ringing round for quotes or getting a form sent out then I'll just have to take it on the chin.
  • loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    lisyloo, have sent you a private message.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Wow, I've just checked and it's £120 each to register an EPA.
    The people in question are on state benefits.

So I'm afraid for the type of stuff I'm doing (which is NOT signing any contracts) then I'm sorry but it won't be happening as it's simply too expensive.
    Yes, but you don't have to register it until the donor has 'lost mental capacity'. And, even if it did come to that later on, the Public Guardianship Office are able to waive fees on income grounds (see 'fee remission guidelines' on their website).
  • loulou41
    Options
    Just an update, son has phoned NW & sent them a fax as well giving me full authorization to discuss his account. Surprise when I phoned, she mentioned there is power of attorney on that account & was happy to discuss account with me after a few security checks, even asked for his password.

I have already got a statement to settle his account by 25th. I asked whether I need to pay and she said they are fraudulent, and he is not accountable. A bit confused now, a couple of days ago, another CS told me I must pay for these transactions but will be refunded after they have investigated. Who is right, usually I settle account in full, I do not want to incur any daily interests? I was also surprised,there is no mention of form for him to fill. Honestly I did not expect to hear he does not pay from them so soon. I thought these things take time to sort out. I will check his online account on Monday and see what happens. I asked about the date it was actioned and she said Friday 13th, the day he phoned.
  • lisyloo
    Options
    Yes, but you don't have to register it until the donor has 'lost mental capacity'.

Appologies for "hijacking" the thread.
    But does this mean it can be used without being registered? i.e. just by having the form signed?
  • loulou41
    Options
    Yes, it can be used without being registered. The form must be signed and witnessed. For enduring power of attorney, you have to register it when the donor loses his mental capacity. Mine is a general power of attorney. There is a new law coming into effect soon and you will have to pay £120 to register it before you can use it. There was an article in the daily mail about it and advise people to get one done now as it will be cheaper.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport