Is this correct?

Options
loulou41
loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
Credit cards company have their own rules & regulations. I thought a power of attorney is a legal document. Nationwide credit card services will not accept it to start investigating fradulent transactions on my son's credit card in South America. I did not ask to discuss his account, all I want them to do is to start investigating this fraud as soon as possible. The answer I got is they will not do anything until they hear from my son himself. My son has emailed and he said he is taking a 24 hrs overnight coach to Tikal, and will phone if he can. My concern is time will be wasted if they have to wait to hear from him personally. Also I was advised to ask him to get a police report, but he said, this will be impossible as he is passing through and does not go back again. Just wondering whether they can do that!!

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,639 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would demand to start their formal complaints procedure.

Also put in writing that you will hold them liable for any costs that arise due to fraud as a result of their failure to act on your instructions.
    Take this to the branch in person if you can and give it to a manager (get his/her name).

If not then fax it to them and ring up to make sure they have received it (again note the name of the person you spoke to and the time).

You could also send it by recorded delivery (costs 65p but you will have proof that it was received).
  • lisyloo
    Options
    Just another idea.
    Do you have a male friend (brother?) who could call and pretend to be him?

My husband and I do this all the time on behalf of our elderly parents who sadly are a bit witless these days.
    The only thing that seems to matter over the phone is that you are the right gender and know the answers to the security questions.
  • vwman_3
    vwman_3 Posts: 688 Forumite
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Just another idea.

My husband and I do this all the time on behalf of our elderly parents who sadly are a bit witless these days.
    The only thing that seems to matter over the phone is that you are the right gender and know the answers to the security questions.

Dear God I've heard it all now........
    Aiming to be debt free....but still off target
  • loulou41
    Options
    Just another idea.

No, my husband would not agree to that since it is fraud, it is better to do it legally. Thanks for the suggestion, I have done it before but not when fraud is concerned.
  • loulou41
    Options
    I would demand to start their formal complaints procedure.

Also put in writing that you will hold them liable for any costs that arise due to fraud as a result of their failure to act on your instructions.
    Take this to the branch in person if you can and give it to a manager (get his/her name).

If not then fax it to them and ring up to make sure they have received it (again note the name of the person you spoke to and the time).

You could also send it by recorded delivery (costs 65p but you will have proof that it was received).

I will do that, wrote a letter & ask the branch to fax it to them. Thanks for your help.
  • ---lee---
    ---lee--- Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    loulou41 wrote: »
    The answer I got is they will not do anything until they hear from my son himself. My son has emailed and he said he is taking a 24 hrs overnight coach to Tikal, and will phone if he can.

loulou41, I followed your related post about this as well.

I don't mean this to sound nasty but it sounds like your son is not particularly motivated in sorting out the problem and leaving it all to you. I know its awkward operating from abroad but I'm sure he could find a phone and give them a call - they probably just want to confirm with him that the transactions are not genuine and whilst he's on the phone he could tell them that he wants them to cooperate with you.
  • lisyloo
    Options
    Dear God I've heard it all now........

Yes we help out our elderly parents.
    We get them the best rate possible on their savings, get them the correct benefits and try to sort out their money to the best of our abilities.

Our intentions are merely to help out our parents.

We could do it all legally and get one of those "power of attorneys" but as you have seen from post 1 this isn't always recognised.

I realise that strictly speaking we are breaking a few rules, but we are doing it for all the right reasons..............and it's nothing to do with boosting our inheritance -we would rather our parents had the best quality of life possibly and if that means spending it all the that's OK with us.

I'm sorry if anyone find it shocking but as you can see from this thread if you try to follow all the leagl nicecities you will come across bureacracy.
    No, my husband would not agree to that since it is fraud

By the way it is NOT fraud if you are not gaining any benefit.
    I agree it is illegal but to be guilty of theft or fraud you actually have to make a gain.
    There is probably some offence committed if you are trying to help someone and not gaining but it is NOT called either theft or fraud.
  • loulou41
    Options
    ---lee--- wrote: »
    loulou41, I followed your related post about this as well.

I don't mean this to sound nasty but it sounds like your son is not particularly motivated in sorting out the problem and leaving it all to you. I know its awkward operating from abroad but I'm sure he could find a phone and give them a call - they probably just want to confirm with him that the transactions are not genuine and whilst he's on the phone he could tell them that he wants them to cooperate with you.

I did tell him I will try to sort this out as I know how difficult it is get through CS from abroad. I have told him to contact them as soon as possible and if he does not do it, it's money lost and it is coming from his pocket. I guess, the main thing is the card has now been stopped.
  • loulou41
    Options
    I meant illegal not fraud.
  • lisyloo
    Options
    Many thanks for the comments.
    I have genuinely taken it on board and considered the posistion.

I really do doubt that anyone would prosecute me over (for example) obtaining an insurance quotation for an elderly person who is hard of hearing.

I am confident that we have always acted in their best interests and no business or person has suffered any loss as a result.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure