Public Transport and Cycling Board?

Options
Norman_Castle
Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited 19 October 2012 at 8:16PM in Public transport & cycling
Why has cycling been combined in a board with public transport?. Cyclists are either road users or cycling enthusiasts. Public transport users are passengers on buses and trains. There are few, if any, common issues.

Comments

• mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    Car users are in a world of their own?
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Apologies if you've already seen the following thread but that is what led to the separation of the boards:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4239185
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    Crabman wrote: »
    Apologies if you've already seen the following thread but that is what led to the separation of the boards:

Do you normally split forums on a whim at the suggestion of one person?
  • Livingthedream
    Options
    Why has cycling been combined in a board with public transport?. Cyclists are either road users or cycling enthusiasts. Public transport users are passengers on buses and trains. There are few, if any, common issues.

Why not, I always see loads of bike on trains.

Perhaps one should have posted on the old Sub-forum first, asking the opinion of it's users instead of making a decision based on a thread with 7 posts.
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

You're evidently not a cyclist.

It's very common for cyclists to use public transport, mostly trains. As a regular cyclist I very frequently combine the two. And there are issues relating to the train relevant to me as a cyclist - do I need to book a space, can I take my bike on at 6pm on a week day, is there level access to the road (no stairs), etc.

It's hardly a modern phenomenon either, this is from six decades ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz5d3entBw

The reverse may not be true of course, while cyclists are likely to be interested in public transport, public transport users are not necessarily interested in cycling.

It would probably make sense to have three separate forums, but there probably isn't the volume of posts currently, but maybe that will change now that public transport/cycling posts are not drowned out by the much greater number of motoring queries.

Clearly money-saving questions relevant to cyclists are not relevant to motorists, and vice versa.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    geri1965 wrote: »
    Do you normally split forums on a whim at the suggestion of one person?
    Perhaps one should have posted on the old Sub-forum first, asking the opinion of it's users instead of making a decision based on a thread with 7 posts.

I didn't make the decision & I'm therefore not in a position to debate this issue.

I would recommend that you post on the thread in the Site Feedback board (link in post #3).
  • Livingthedream
    Options
    I didn't make the decision & I'm therefore not in a position to debate this issue.

I would recommend that you post on the thread in the Site Feedback board (link in post #3).

Don't get me wrong I think that the split was the correct decision, however, not enough input from users was sort before a change was made, TBH cycling and public transport in the same forum doesn't seem right.

Right I off to the thread linked for my 10p worth.
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • Norman_Castle
    Options
    You're evidently not a cyclist.

It's very common for cyclists to use public transport, mostly trains. As a regular cyclist I very frequently combine the two. And there are issues relating to the train relevant to me as a cyclist - do I need to book a space, can I take my bike on at 6pm on a week day, is there level access to the road (no stairs), etc.
    I am a cyclist. I don't commute by bike or public transport. The proportion of cyclists or public transport users who combine the two is very small. You may combine the two, the majority don't. Issues when cycling are separate from transporting a bike on public transport.
  • Billy-no-Money
    Options
    It would have made more sense to me to have a 'commuting' and 'leisure travel' split - after all, moneysaving can be about making choices between modes of transport to achieve the same end result. Too often people drive without making a rational choice about the best way to get there.

Regardless of the mode of transport, commuting and leisure tend to give different answers; advance purchase rail tickets are mainly a leisure option, season tickets are intended for commuters (yes you can do some commutes on advance tickets of course, but not the typical daily journeys).

I'll be glad to not have to read some of the anti-cycling bile that some of the 'motoring' users post, but overall I think separating by mode of transport is the wrong approach.
    Long-haul Supporters DFW 120
    Debt @ LBM (October 2007): £55187
    Debt Now (April 2014): £0
    Debt-free-date: [STRIKE]July[/STRIKE] April 2014 :j:j:j
  • Norman_Castle
    Options
    I'll be glad to not have to read some of the anti-cycling bile that some of the 'motoring' users post, but overall I think separating by mode of transport is the wrong approach.
    Having road users on the same board educates all about a shared road space. Cyclists have proven themselves very capable of defending themselves against any ignorant and unpleasant motorists and motorists have an opportunity to voice their views.
    A high proportion of cyclists on the forum are also motorists.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure