Drill too noisy, how to make it quieter ?

Options
Galeeno
Galeeno Posts: 295 Forumite
We will be doing some noisy drilling in our floorboards, and joists, and wood,.

(neighbours, have babies, and they are fussy too) - even after explaining to them lol.

-so need to redcue the noise

But the drill machine is too loud, what way can we use to make the drilling sound less ?

are there sound proof drills?
or quieter drilles?

or can a bag be out around the moter for a few minutes, of drillinng? lol. (and when heated, bag removed.)

Note- the drills bits will be long ones

and drilling will be for a long period, and not a short while

Comments

• shegirl
    shegirl Posts: 10,107 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sorry but :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Can't you just do the sensible thing and tell the neighbours when you'll be doing it and either they put up with it or go out while it's being done?
    If women are birds and freedom is flight are trapped women Dodos?
  • Slowly_does_it..
    Options
    Apart from waiting for the rubbish truck to reverse along the road (to distract them) - just check that the drill is not on hammer mode if you are drilling wood. If things are tense, you could drill at a lower RPM, but then you will drill much slower, so could be at it all day.
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Problem is that the motor sound isn't what carries and is disturbing the neighbours, its the vibration noise from the drill going through the material, and that can't really be stopped. Make sure you are using sharp drill bits as that will mean they cut through better and faster reducing the time you are drilling, but other than that and avoiding anti social hours its just one of those things that neighbours have to put up with!

(Incidentally kids are far better off learning to sleep through noise than being pampered to silence - when our eldest was about 3 I had to change the door handles to stop him locking himself in - at one point I was drilling new screw holes in the door at the foot of his bed - didn't even stir!).
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    The only other thing to do is sit down with the neighbours and try to agree times when they are going to be out etc that also fit in with when you can work. Them insisting you only do it whilst you should be at work doesn't help but if they are going to be out all Saturday morning and you are free you can crack on and get loads done whilst they can't be disturbed.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I was going to say that about talking to the neighbours about timings. If they want you to avoid baby's sleep times then that's reasonable if they can tell you when that is.
    So drilling at 7am may be perfectly acceptable to them but drilling at, say, 11am may not be.
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Options
    Jesus, how many holes are you going to be drilling?

Forget about it. Just do what you have to do during normal daylight hours and sod the nit picking neighbours.

Bet they would think twice about doing any DIY in their house.
  • pka_2
    pka_2 Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    Galeeno wrote: »
    (neighbours, have babies, and they are fussy too) - even after explaining to them lol.

-so need to redcue the noise

:rotfl::rotfl:So if neighbours are going to complain about a bit of drilling then can you complain every time their baby wakes you up in the middle of the night?

Seriously though could you not just drill at sensible times during the day and find out what time nap time is and try and avoid drilling then?
  • thefishdude
    Options
    how many you drilling ??? you could use a variable speed drill and drill at lowest speed wich if just drilling wood wouldnt been an issue and would make a lot less noise.
  • skivenov
    skivenov Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Options
    Cordless drills tend to be quieter because the motor spins slower and the gearbox is under less stress. Make sure you've not got your drill set to hammer though, mine jumps onto it quite a bit and I don't notice until I think about how much noise it's making considerring it's not actually going anywhere!

Are you using a woodcutting bit with a point on the end or a metalcutting bit when you're drilling into wood? A wood bit will be faster, still makes a noise, but for less time.

Personally though, so long as you're not working at strange times of day, I'd say you've every right to. If they're trying to get their baby to sleep in the day, it's going to be a long time before they sleep through the night.
    Yes it's overwhelming, but what else can we do?
    Get jobs in offices and wake up for the morning commute?
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    or can a bag be out around the moter for a few minutes, of drillinng? lol. (and when heated, bag removed.)

Note- the drills bits will be long ones

and drilling will be for a long period, and not a short while
    Out of interest, what are you doing?. You could use a hand drill or a hand brace.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure