Has anyone used Ciliary Blue for lenses?

Options
Hi there,

This is my first time posting on the site, and it's very nice to meet you all.

I am looking to reglaze my glasses and I have found a company called Ciliary Blue. I have never tried getting my glasses done by a company through the internet before and I was wondering if anyone had used them. I would really appreciate the advice.

Thanks

Comments

• SallyD
    SallyD Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    I have used Ciliary Blue for lenses and been very happy with the service and would use again.
    SallyD
  • Moneyboxblues
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time out to reply, the advice has all been very helpful and I will give them a go
  • clemham83
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, I had been considering these also.
  • adsk
    adsk Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have used their service 3 times and it's excellent.
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I recently used them and was very happy with the service and cost so I've just sent them another pair to reglaze with transition lenses.

My high street opticians wanted £100 for the designer frame with standard single vision lenses but I have a high prescription and need really thin lenses. This was going to cost anything up to £250 on top of the cost of the frames.

I managed to find the brand new Conran frame on ebay for £11 including postage (the same style in a slightly different colour than Vision Express) and got the thinnest lenses (1.74) from Cilliary Blue for £95.

I spent £106 for designer frames with the thinnest lenses instead of anywhere up to £350 for a virtually identical product.

Nonetheless, Which, has published some of their research on online opticians which warns of very dodgy work by some - out of 36 pairs analysed for quality and compliance to the prescription by optomotrists, nearly half were considered poor and some were considered dangerous.

http://www.which.co.uk/documents/pdf/p26-28_buyingglasseslenses-286334.pdf
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Another thumbs up for Ciliary Blue.

The second pair I sent it came back to me within around week and a half from ordering the lenses online, getting the box from them to send the frames to them, and receiving the complete frames and lenses.

I bought another pair of the same frames from ebay for £11 which I see for sale in opticians for around £100 for the frame and basic lenses but would then require me to spend hundreds of pounds more on transition or thin lenses to avoid them looking like the bottom of beer tankards.

Then I sent them again to Ciliary Blue to put in transition lenses (and I used a £10 discount voucher, too).

This means I have two identical pairs, one with thin lenses, one with transition lenses, so I have a spare pair and a pair of sunglasses for around £210 in total (lenses and frames) when my local optician wanted far higher for just a single pair. I could have had thin AND transition lenses from Ciliary Blue for £195 but decided to split them across two pairs for a slightly cheaper price to give me a spare pair.

I've struggled to get change out of at least £300 for designer frames and thin lenses from high street opticians. I've also struggled to get prescription sunglasses that suit my narrow face - don't know why I didn't think of transition lenses or tinted lenses put into a conventional frame before instead of having massive Roy Orbison frames from the high street opticians limited ranges.

So I've got two pairs of glasses now for less than the cost of one pair in the high street.
  • bealimar
    Options
    I have used them and was very happy.
    Had a couple of frames redone.
    Fantastic customer service and very quick. If not mistaken, dealt with a gentleman called Chris on the phone.
    Would use again.
  • ancient_one
    Options
    Anyone looking for top quality lenses at a truly sensible price need look no further than Ciliaryblue!!! This company offers the best possible service - and if you have any questions - or are uncertain about placing an order please, don't be, as Ciliaryblue are just a telephone call away. Ciliaryblue fitted new varifocal, transitional lenses fitted into frames I already had - at a fraction of the price being charged at High Street opticians. Thank you Ciliaryblue for a top quality product that actually saved me a LOT of money!!!
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Because the above is a copy/paste of what was posted on 25 March in Reviewcentre, I have to conclude that C.B. employees are posting glowing advert-reviews. I was just about to get a quote on their site (which is just the most comprehensive with clearest price list and FAQ of any I admit). Now I have to wonder about how many of the testimonals are completely kosher.
  • Fuzzy_Duck
    Fuzzy_Duck Posts: 1,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    Because the above is a copy/paste of what was posted on 25 March in Reviewcentre, I have to conclude that C.B. employees are posting glowing advert-reviews. I was just about to get a quote on their site (which is just the most comprehensive with clearest price list and FAQ of any I admit). Now I have to wonder about how many of the testimonals are completely kosher.

Plus it's always suspicious when someone signs up to post a positive review!

I've used them a few times as I buy frames from a site that offers discounts for Ciliaryblue if you need reglazing. I was pleased with the service, so I really don't get why they need to post fake reviews.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure