Essex & Suffolk Bill for work carried out?

Options
Ok, so I have no issues with leaks (personally - i'm not aware of the neighbours either) A few weeks ago a guy came from Essex & Suffolk Water & wanted to inspect the place. Which he did, checked the stopcock under the sink and done a few measurements.

The next part is a bit hazy. From what he was saying the houses in my road (about 20 houses or so) water supply is at the back of the houses (our properties back onto other properties on the other side - so not really that accessible & are terraced blocks of 6 each). So they want to move the pipes from the back, to the front of the property. He says that a hole will be made in the street, on my path & some of my wooden flooring to be taken up, so they can gain access to my kitchen stopcock (same for all houses).

The documentation they have given me say that there is a 'leak on shared supply pipe' - for that many houses?

I do know that generally supply pipes are my responsibility (well actually my landlady's!) but the whole thing seems odd to me. The guy who came here said the bill is normally about £1000 per resident, but it is being subsidised so I only pay £450.

However, my landlady is not around for a few weeks... so wanted to make some enquires before she gets back.

It sounded to me less like repair works & more like upgrading, so easier access for them etc. - But then I know nothing about this kind of work, so maybe i'm wrong? So surely if it isn't just repair work, then the bill is primarily theirs? Can I even prove that though if that was the case... :/

I realise I am probably being an airhead here - feel free to highlight this fact:rotfl:

Thanks! :beer:

P.S. Have read these forums many times over the past couple of years & always a great source of information - you guys rock!

Comments

• Andyr1
    Andyr1 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Did he have ID? Was he actually from the water board? Seems starnge to call on you and inspect. Give them a call to check http://www.eswater.co.uk/
  • Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    Options
    There is no water board any more and water companies do come out and inspect if there is something they are aware of and trying to sort out otherwise how would it get done ?
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport