MSE News: Directgov website to be replaced

Options

Comments

• Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    Which we discovered in post #8 and subsequent gags and sane reasoning in the following posts afterwards

So? I was aware of that. Make you feel all clever and important that does, does it ?.... :rotfl:

anyway, the point I was making was that it's odd that it is the only page where you have to go to another page to get the sub-heading links....:cool:
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• Jeff_Bridges_hair
    Options
    So? I was aware of that. Make you feel all clever and important that does, does it ?.... :rotfl:

anyway, the point I was making was that it's odd that it is the only page where you have to go to another page to get the sub-heading links....:cool:

And the point I was making in a sarcastic manner is why repeat somethign that has already been said and discussed?

And no its not odd - when sites are in Beta quite often things like this get missed. Did the people who created the hyperlink to the page do so by accident without remember to actually put content on there? Or were they just taking the mick out of the government by doing so?

Who knows and frankly who really cares until the full site goes live
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • lrboylin
    Options
    GOV.UK wrote: »
    Hi I work for Government Digital Service and we have worked very hard to make sure that links to specific information remain live. If you want to see how we have done that you can read all about it in an article written by my colleague Paul Downey. I am not allowed insert link into this post - but if you visit digital [dot] cabinetoffice [dot] gov [dot] uk the article is called No Link Left Behind

We hope that you will find the GOV.UK, simpler, clearer and faster to use. Hope this helps.
    Emer Coleman
    Deputy Director Government Digital Service

What the hell have you done to the 'new' GOV website, it is so 90's looking and very bland and boring. What a complete waste of OUR taxpayers money.:mad::mad:
    It just looks like a college project by a student learning to build websites, there's no bright stand out colours. It is very Tory looking = boring! :(:eek:
    I build websites and I just laugh at the poor quality of this :rotfl::rotfl:but then it gets me angry because I have paid for it! :mad::mad:
    There was nothing wrong with the old site, it worked and and at least it had colours that stood out.
    What a shame....If it ain't broke then don't try to fix it....
  • dada44
    dada44 Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    the site is much cleaner to the eye and much easier to get around. if anything the font is a little too big for my eyes, but nevertheless, bravo
    2010 Posts: 5,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Very useful piece of information on the home page.

The clocks go back 28 October.
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    2010 wrote: »
    Very useful piece of information on the home page.

The clocks go back 28 October.

oh yes, we thickos in Joe Public land need spoon feeding that information :rotfl:
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• dada44
    Options
    well, ppl are calling this boring, but what are they wanting from a government website? personally, i think one person's boring is another person's peace, and stresslessness. i think they did a great job, and are moving in the right direction with their design

if you want adrenalin... perhaps something like youtube, or an action flick.. may suit you... or even better.... ask yourself why you want something flashy. just cos you want it, doesn't mean it is helpful.

the site already has a bunch of information that is usually quite stressful or agitating to find/take in. the cleanliness of the site adds an element of calm to an already agitating process, and puts it in line more with our european neighbours...

http://www.sweden.gov.se/

http://www.bundesregierung.de/Webs/Breg/EN/Homepage/_node.html

http://www.swissworld.org/en/
  • keyser666
    keyser666 Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    lrboylin wrote: »
    What the hell have you done to the 'new' GOV website, it is so 90's looking and very bland and boring. What a complete waste of OUR taxpayers money.:mad::mad:
    It just looks like a college project by a student learning to build websites, there's no bright stand out colours. It is very Tory looking = boring! :(:eek:
    I build websites and I just laugh at the poor quality of this :rotfl::rotfl:but then it gets me angry because I have paid for it! :mad::mad:
    There was nothing wrong with the old site, it worked and and at least it had colours that stood out.

Yes you dont worry about those hard of seeing lets have brash stand out colours, although there is the AAA aspect.

If you build websites for a living then you should know why there is the clarity there, it is far easy to navigate and far better. It is not a commercial website but one that is there for information purposes.
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    lrboylin wrote: »

I think you are confusing style and substance.

There is no requirement for a government website to have any flashy style, stand-out colours, modern look etc. It's there to get information across in a straigthforward manner.

Personally I found your post difficult to read due to the excessive smilies - if that's how you want websites to look then I'm glad the gov.uk site is the exact opposite!
  • dada44
    Options
    personally, i think the new website is very stylish and has substance, esp compared to the last one

however, i do think it could be a little less aggressive, by removing the underlining of links, and by making the text smaller

perhaps even a grey background to the text?

also, the pages that have 2 or 3 colums, may just be even simpler if there was one column ie https://www.gov.uk/browse/tax

the goals of this website are to present information and make it easy and clear to find

and the way in which that is done is probably to make it as stress free and calming as possible

i think it is a step in the right direction

i do think it could be softer still, and not as 'hard hitting'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family