PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

OS style recycling of materials...

Options
2»

Comments

• MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Queen.Bess wrote: »
    I too have found the joys of knitting this year and like crazychik, my first scarf attempt wasn't too straight - I started with 20 stitches and ended up with 27! But my 2nd attempt was much better! Although I still get my Mum to cast on for me as I'm not too good at that!

I'd love to know the website please Tine, so that I can make the veggie shopping net!

Here is one version

Another version

The one I actually wanted to share was in a book so will take some transfering to web from wirtten format :(
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Mariel
    Mariel Posts: 624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm left handed and I learnt to crochet from a book. There weren't left handed instructions although it did mention the mirror trick. TBH I think I'm so used to mentally 'translating' diagrams from right to left handed it wasn't a problem. I didn't find it hard at all, I learnt from a relative when I was very young who taught me very basic stuff but had forgotten it all by the time I grew up. I bought the book, got very quickly obsessed and it just sort of clicked.
    So I guess my advice would be if one set of instructions don't work for you keep trying until you find some that do.
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    Just a word of caution about supermarket bags -

I put some stuff up in the loft in carrier bags, a few months later I went to bring them down again and the bags had disintegrated into little squares - for a second I thought that a mouse had chewed it but the pieces were so regular it couldn't have been, then it dawned on me, they were biodegrading. They were all Co-op ones, I know that Tesco are changing to biodegradable ones later in the year, maybe there is something printed on ones that will self destruct?

I'm left handed too and I learned to crochet right handed, it's worth a try but if you want to learn from a righthander sit opposite them
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm a lefthanded crocheter, I learnt from my lefthanded mum ;) But, using a mirror is an easy way to learn if you are lefthanded. Apprentice Tycoon's tip of sitting opposite a right hander and mirroring their movements is a good one. It's also useful for teaching a child who is differently handed to you to tie shoelaces etc ;)

BTW, this is irrelevant, but both OH and I are lefties, so are both my parents and OH's dad. So, how come all 3 of my kids are right handed ? :confused:

I used to do a lot of crochet when I was at art school. I went in for 'freeform crochet' . Check out these websites

http://www.freeformcrochet.com/
    http://www.eject.com.au/e-motive/prudence/whatis.htm
  • Crazychik
    Crazychik Posts: 1,994 Forumite
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »

BTW, this is irrelevant, but both OH and I are lefties, so are both my parents and OH's dad. So, how come all 3 of my kids are right handed ? :confused:

I always wandered this, I asked the health visitor ref my son (he's left handed) myself & his dad, & sister are r-handed. She said its what they feel comfortable with.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Here is something I made for giving some of my freebies and sales bargains as a toiletries bag :)

Photo0004.jpg
    Photo0010.jpg
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family