PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS style recycling of materials...

Options
I just wanted to share this with you all :)
Recently I saw one fo these 99p kits for children to learn to crochet... and being as I had a spare afternoon with horrid weather looming I though "what the heck I always wanted to learn how..." and parted with my 99p.
Well by the end of the afternoon I was "hooked" (pardon the pun).
I'm now working on my first lapghan (the best way of describing it is a lap blanket that is croched... :) ) for my nan as she always had time for me to teach me how to do things and they had me living with them for 3 years and treated me as their own child and now they are in a nursing home I wanted to make somethign special for her to tell her how much I think of them all the time.
Anyway looking at sites for crochet (some kindly passed on by fellow MSE'ers) I have stumbled across all manner of frugal ideas! And green too! How about an evening bag made from VHS tapes? Funky bags from old denim shirts and jeans? Plastic bags recycled into a plastic bag holder, a coaster or a water proof bag? Old string made into cushions for the garden, and old sweaters that have been unravelled and made into anything you like, clothes, rugs, blankets, cushions, slippers, bags, hats - the list is nearly endless!

So if you know how to crochet why not give it a go? you could make plastic bags into a vegetable shopping net - or store your home grown potatoes in a home made potato sack made from left over string...

Try it!

Tine
DFW Nerd #025
DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey

Comments

• dolly_day_dream
    Options
    This is right up my street - could you post some of the web sites?
    I know that your gran will love the blanket. Many years ago I started to crochet a red shawl - when I had finished it I wasn't that sure what to do with it. A friend lived in sheltered housing and suggested that one of the ladies there might like it. The lady I gave it to was thrilled and cried that someone had thought of her (least thats what I tell myself - she might have been crying at having to accept my crocheting!!) It's the little things that mean a lot.
    True wealth lies in contentment - not cash. Dollydaydream 2006
  • Mrs_Flittersnoop
    Options
    Ooh I like the idea of making my own bags, maybe I could use up some of DH's million old VHS tapes, preferably the ones with horrible war films on....:rotfl:

Is learning to crochet easy? My granny used to do it, but said she couldn't teach me because I'm left handed :( - any other lefties out there who can weave magic with a hook and reassure me??

I already sew practically all my own clothes so am used to using patterns etc but must admit I'm a seriously awful knitter, maybe crochet is the answer....

Thanks!
    Mrs F x
  • Lyndsay_21
    Lyndsay_21 Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    what exactly is crocheting?
    Other women want a boob job. Honey the only silicone i'm interested in is on a 12 cup muffin tray, preferably shaped like little hearts :heart:
  • amandada
    amandada Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I made my daughter a skirt out of her too short jeans
    skirt1.JPG
  • Crazychik
    Crazychik Posts: 1,994 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Tine

Im the opposite, I love to crochet but cant knit, and like you I picked up a pack teach yourself how to knit, for £2. It turned out a little wierd my first attempt,(meant to be a scarf, but I think i cast off a little too tightly) but my DD loved the colours that much, i turned it into a bag for her. I spent a further 14p on a duffle coat type toggle button for it. Waste not - want not!

My Nanna tried to teach me how to knit yrs ago, but its something I could never pick up (pardon the pun), and I was the one who taught her how to crochet. She made lots of shawls for the local hospice. And many baby shawls for the ever growing grand/great grand children!

The list is endless what can be done! I remember making little pouch bags, and lining it with a small sheet of cotton (usually taken from old bed sheets) and filling it with chocolate bars, ideal Christmas stocking filler!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • stefejb
    stefejb Posts: 1,725 Forumite
    Options
    Is learning to crochet easy? My granny used to do it, but said she couldn't teach me because I'm left handed :( - any other lefties out there who can weave magic with a hook and reassure me??

I

I'm left handed and crochet - i do it right handed though so it's not impossible. In fact I alternate sewing and knitting (lefthandedly) with crocheting to give my wrists a rest. give it a go but if you can't cope righthandedly I'm sure someone cleverer than me could find left handed instructions somewhere
    I'm going to feed our children non-organic food and with the money saved take them to the zoo - half man half biscuit 2008
  • Crazychik
    Crazychik Posts: 1,994 Forumite
    Options
    I was once asked to teach crochet at school in our craft lessons, (when I was a pupil also), Im not left handed, but ended up teaching someone who was, the way we got around it was by using a mirror, It was easy for me, but hard for them to learn, but they did grasp it!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If I can do it then anyone can :) here are some of the links I have added to my favourites:

Crochetville - forum a nicer bunch of ladies you couldn't hope to chat to! They are SO helpful and supportive most are US but don't let that put you off - although some terms are different they will help you find the right terms :)

Patterns all kinds of stuff!

How to crochet - video tutorials I do traditional crochet but tunisian looks interesting :)

How to make plastic bag "yarn"

VHS tapes recycled into a sling bag Scroll down for other recycle ideas including the plasticbag holder from crochet plastic bags :)
    DFW Nerd #025

• MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    And I can knit too, but because I have inflamed tendons I find it very painful after a little while. Especially if the garment is heavy and big then I struggle holding up the needles with the weight on them.

Found this link for left handed instructions :)
    DFW Nerd #025

• Queen.Bess
    Queen.Bess Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    Options
    I too have found the joys of knitting this year and like crazychik, my first scarf attempt wasn't too straight - I started with 20 stitches and ended up with 27! But my 2nd attempt was much better! Although I still get my Mum to cast on for me as I'm not too good at that!

I'd love to know the website please Tine, so that I can make the veggie shopping net!
    Official DFW Nerd Club #20 :cool: Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :D DFW Long Hauler #109 :o

Slowly, Slowly = Oct '09: £30693, Aug '15: £14820. Could Be Debt Free April 2020, but hoping for sooner!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure