MSE News: Wizz Air to charge for hand luggage

Options
"Passengers travelling with Wizz Air Hungary will soon have to pay £9 to take large hand luggage ..."

Comments

• shaunskankdog
    Options
    MSE_Helen wrote: »
    "Passengers travelling with Wizz Air Hungary will soon have to pay £9 to take large hand luggage ..."

I booked a flight with Ryanair for £0.06p (but £credit charge) Warsaw to Budapest....then Wizz for the return leg, and they did mention it in the email...I will just scrunch my bag up and shove everything in my big thick wintry jacket with many pockets:)
  • N1AK
    N1AK Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The dimensions are roughly in line with Ryanairs (not that that is much defence) and as they point out it is to discourage the constant flow of over-sized hand luggage people try to get through via the current system.

If they are genuinely dropping prices for people with small bags then this makes it more affordable for people travelling for short breaks, work or back home who don't need more luggage.
    Having a signature removed for mentioning the removal of a previous signature. Blackwhite bellyfeel double plus good...
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If check-in luggage was free, like in the last century......

The next step is obviously going to be weighing in the customer, and charge by the kg.

Pre-flight liposuction, the next booming industry.
  • Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I for one am tired of people carrying what are basically suitcases as carry on luggage. It's just unrealistic to think everyone can carry a suitcase onto the plane and except all their luggage to fit in the overhead lockers.

Good for Wizz Air for introducing this charge. Now introduce free checked bags too.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mobeer wrote: »
    I for one am tired of people carrying what are basically suitcases as carry on luggage. .
    +1 .......... me too
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    As usual with the MSE 'news' stories, the headline is misleading.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We need some new EU-wide legislation to prevent airlines from excluding from the advertised price any surcharges that are unavoidable for the typical passenger, e.g. cabin baggage, going to the loo, checking in, drinking water, children sitting with their parents, and paying by debit card (soon to be outlawed anyway). Budget airlines don't seem to give up on ways to make their headline fares look lower than reality by excluding unavoidable or near-unavoidable charges.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NFH wrote: »
    We need some new EU-wide legislation to prevent airlines from excluding from the advertised price any surcharges that are unavoidable for the typical passenger.

The legislation would need to define a typical passenger, so what is one then?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    The legislation would need to define a typical passenger, so what is one then?

Below in bold are bad examples.
    NFH wrote: »
    the typical passenger, e.g. cabin baggage, going to the loo, checking in, drinking water, children sitting with their parents, and paying by debit card (soon to be outlawed anyway).

Not everyone wants to take cabin baggage so why should my flight cost be inflated so that those passengers who do want to take it can benefit?

As I don't have children why should my flight cost be inflated so that those passengers who want to make sure they are sat with their kids can benefit?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure