PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Anyone convert an OH who is/was non OS ?

Options
1235»

Comments

• overlykeensaver
    Options
    JillD wrote: »
    :r I asked hubs for a list of what he would eat in packed lunch sandwiches, as he was whingeing about cheese too often. The list was things kike - "roasted peppers and aubergine", "mozzarella, tomato, avocado and pesto", hummus and carrot", "brie and cranberry". All of a sudden he went all pncy and thought I wasa branch of M&S. If he makes his own sandiwches - its always cheese. Or nasty packet quorn ham.

My OH works in London so can get practically anything in the world for his lunch if he fancies it. To persuade him to take a lunch pack, I decided that if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. I asked OH to bring back a list of the salads/wraps he can get in his fave shop and then we thought about how we could make them ourselves. Obvoiusly this works out more expensive than a cheese sandwich but we go on the principle that pack lunch has to be good to avoid the temptation outside the office :rotfl:

And roasted peppers? If you have a Lidl's near you, they sell big jars for £1.29 which last us for two weeks for pack lunches. You could also make your own hummous (or just buy it if that is what OH likes) as it would be much cheaper than him paying £4.50 for it from a shop.
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I converted an non money saving, non OSer and now he's as on board as I am.

His wage is quite generous for a single bloke and although he saved well, he didn't budget, spent a lot on take-aways and going out etc. I moved in and we had 2 wages coming in and we spent like it was going out of fashion, but when I gave up work to be a housewife we needed to make some changes. He didn't want to budget and complained about my 'pots'. (A pot for spends a pot for groceries, a pot for the car etc etc.)

Bit by bit I negotiated budgets with him. He started off with a very generous 'pot' for his own spends and we cut it down gradually. In time, he didn't need his own spends as he is very frugal and things like his twice weekly take-away pizza disappeared as he prefers his own home made ones.

Slow and steady wins the race.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My OH works in London so can get practically anything in the world for his lunch if he fancies it. To persuade him to take a lunch pack, I decided that if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. I asked OH to bring back a list of the salads/wraps he can get in his fave shop and then we thought about how we could make them ourselves. Obvoiusly this works out more expensive than a cheese sandwich but we go on the principle that pack lunch has to be good to avoid the temptation outside the office :rotfl:

And roasted peppers? If you have a Lidl's near you, they sell big jars for £1.29 which last us for two weeks for pack lunches. You could also make your own hummous (or just buy it if that is what OH likes) as it would be much cheaper than him paying £4.50 for it from a shop.

Got to agree about Lidl's peppers -very good value ;)

I make all my OH's packed lunches because if he did it , it would be cheese sandwiches every day with no salad or any veg. I tend to make sandwiches rather than anything more exotic but I make sure there's veg in too.

I made him a wrap once, with roasted peppers and hummus and some other stuff. He was working near a flower shop at the time, and as he was eating his wrap he suddenly thought how delicious it was and he bought me a bunch of flowers :D This was the only time he has spontaneously bought me flowers. I was really surprised. He's not done it since mind you :rolleyes: Perhaps I should try harder with the lunches.
  • JillD_2
    JillD_2 Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    Options
    Gingham you have hit the nail on the head there. Slow and steady.

And actually to be fair, I was thinking tonight, we have done wuite well this week - homemade pizzam hmemade chilli with rice, veg pies with potatoes and veg (not too OS but not too unealthy), jacket potatoes with various leftovers. And two picnics at the weekend.

OKS and thriftlady I have promised myself a scouting trip to Lidls soon - will look out for the peppers!
    Jan GC: £202.65/£450 (as of 4-1-12)
    NSDs: 3
    Walk to school: 2/47
    Bloater challenge: £0/0lbs

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business