Important Changes to Jobseekers Allowance Sanctions

Options

Comments

• Vincent_Buenisedes
    Options
    M&S Southampton as well as a lot of other large stores are recruiting and have been for a while.

Well that's alright then, isn't it? Praise the lord, M&S Southampton are recruiting - that's the unemployment problem felled in one swoop.
  • csmw
    csmw Posts: 579 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gac1977 wrote: »
    Forgive me if I'm wrong in saying, but is it not JC+ Staff fail to highlight and log any Positive Job Seeking Activity to simply sign them on within a stupendous 4 minute time window. This conveniently saves them less work to actually highlight how some job seekers are genuinely "Actively Seeking Work" in accordance with the Job Seekers Regulations Act 1995.

Although when it comes to not applying for a job in any given week it's raise a doubt as quick as you can say "KPI Target", the same as the OP, has also just happened to me, and now JC+ Staff are being internally investigate for wrongfully raising doubts in the first place about people who "FAIL" to Actively Seek Work, at which point previous pending 2 weeks benefit money that WAS due to be paid into a bank 2 days later ready to cover £100+ worth of out going direct debits, does not make it in the bank, and therefore, being put in financial problems when accumulating £25 costs on for each of 3 failed DD's due to that Wrongfully raised "Doubt" that JC+ member made in the first place. So yes, if your like MOST JC+ STAFF who's job revolves around KPI's, rather then try to !!!!!!!!e intelligent people, why not admit guilt and leave that job, like \2 of my previous advisors have done due to being grilled on making them know that they are equally responsible for following through with forced or underhand tactics, but more then often get away with it due to people not wanting the hassle or cannot legally afford to fight for what they have wrongfully been denied.

How long would it take to send an email that had filters in place to ignore and delete all doubts sent which would not look to end up causing a problem later. Hell, I'd set it up to delete all doubts unless the claimant mentioned words such as Job seekers regulations Act 1995, Freedom of Information Request, etc, Voila, Second time round, surprise surprise, benefit sanction is reversed before it goes to an tribunal hearing. Happened to me, twice, I wised up, and know the procedures and policies that are legitimate, yet not being followed..

It took 20 Days to receive a response from the DWP which simply asked if it was a requirement that Job Seekers HAVE to apply for X amount of Jobs per fortnight, and if it is correct JC+ Staff Procedure to raise a doubt due to not being seen as "Actively Seeking Work". The response I got -

" [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]"Turning specifically to whether or not it is a requirement to apply for "x" amount of jobs per week as part of the steps required in order tobe considered as "Actively Seeking Work” I can confirm that there is no such requirement. If the claimant has taken all the steps to look for work that he can reasonably be expected to takein any week, then he has met the Actively Seeking Employment requirements."[/FONT]

Oh, Actively Seeking Work defined, is anything from reading a Paper to Emailing A CV or attending Work Programmes. That is 3 Steps filled in one week. Do the same the following week, but just put same as last week, to save time writing it, as long as evidence is available then that is meeting a Job Seekers Agreement to continue receiving benefits" The fact it's cut corners to search for work, seems to be an issue with some grumpy staff, like searching for work on a Home PC was not better then attending a work programme, which cost tax players money on needless travel expenses. just to keep someone else in a Job. All of a Sudden the DWP come out of the stone age, and decide that it wants finding work even through Facebook which training providers put blocks on, is now considered a common method of socializing with others to swap ideas, this all done from the comfort of your arm chair rather then being stuck in some over crowded sweat hole, waiting to find a spare "PC" even if it does resemble the looks and speed of a 1980's ZX Spectrum where Health and Hygeine ifrom the 100's of nose picking jobseeker's use to search for a job if and when the PC actually loads a website. If such places did not require a job seeker to be babysitted, or blocked from searching for anything slightly related to underhand benefit sanction tactics then I guess it would probably make a few staff nervous enough to reconsider whether or not the needless bullying tactics they force on people is really worth risking their own jobs for. You give 40 Computers to Job Seekers with the Correct Information which cones directly from tthe DWP, to which if they do not provide the truth then they get internally investigated. I guarantee there will be more then a few riots in work programmer places. All it takes if for one Stressed out indivdual to leave a website loaded with the some regulations on full display, would be all it takes to cause enough twitter activity to see a large change in attitudes of Job Center staff on Power Trips.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]So yes, if JC+ Staff want to try and shift the blame on to others, then at least spend more time reading your companies policies longer then you spend signing someone on. [/FONT]

1. I know my job and the laws that surround it thank you very much.
    2. There are no fictitious KPI's for any form of DMA activity
    3. I'm a senior advisor so I don't spend 4 minutes with any of my customers.
    4. As stated many times before not all advisors are the same some of us actually want to help... Your opinions mean nothing to me as long as my customers are happy with what I do and the help that I offer I'm good.

I'm one advisor out of thousands we are not all the same and will I continue to refer those that don't look for work whilst claiming a benefit which stipulate they have to, to the decision maker...yes cause it's part of my job!
  • saintjammyswine
    Options
    Well that's alright then, isn't it? Praise the lord, M&S Southampton are recruiting - that's the unemployment problem felled in one swoop.

I was responding to the post from gothic_hobbit

Trying to point out that in some areas, retail is actually hiring. Also, with the number of new hotels here, there is a relatively high number of hospitality related jobs available. The labour market in this area is actually improving in several areas, unemployment generally is down, youth unemployment down, employment (as opposed to economically inactive) is up.
  • KevInChester
    Options
    Statistically they are down, in real terms it isn't.
  • MissSarah1972
    Options
    I was responding to the post from gothic_hobbit

Trying to point out that in some areas, retail is actually hiring. Also, with the number of new hotels here, there is a relatively high number of hospitality related jobs available. The labour market in this area is actually improving in several areas, unemployment generally is down, youth unemployment down, employment (as opposed to economically inactive) is up.
    Unemployment may be down but does that really mean employment has gone up? I doubt it.
  • saintjammyswine
    Options
    Unemployment may be down but does that really mean employment has gone up? I doubt it.

Thats the point I made. It is not just that less people are on the JSA claim roll. More people are in employment in the Southampton UA area as opposed to other benefits or economically inactive (not signing on, working, in training, basically off the grid). Southampton has seen a little bit of a boost on the last 6-12 months, especially within construction with several large projects but also within retail, logistics and hospitality.
  • mrbecky1
    mrbecky1 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Have you thought of trying to help yourself?[/QWhen I hear comments like this, I just feel disgusted. Show some understanding for gods' sake!!! I have been put into a situation after being sanctioned, where I don't think I have felt so depressed in all my life.
    This is my story, please give me the courtesy to explain everything.
    I left my temporary job after 4 weeks due to harassment, bullying and being treated unfairly. I have worked all my adult life and have been temping for the past 3 years. I uploaded a video on YouTube for employers to see what I had to offer. You name it, I did it in terms of looking for work...so, having to leave my last employment was not a decision taken lightly, I had no choice!
    I received from the benefits agency on 1st October a questionnaire/letter which asked me about my last job. This had to be sent back within 7 days, it was dated 26th September and enclosed was a second class envelope. On the questionnaire, it referred to a company/place/name that i have never heard of, but was supposed to be connected to? I wrote on the questionnaire/letter, please clarify what this name refers to and send me another form. A few days later, I received a letter stating my JSA was sanctioned from 6th October. I was supposed to receive a payment of JSA on the 16th October, but received 5 days only of JSA that was owing to me before I was sanctioned. My direct debits for the month were due on the same day, only 2 were able to be paid, the rest took the £60 JSA that went into my bank that same day. I was left with an unauthorised overdraft, which i will be charged for...there is more...I sent a reconsideration letter for JSA at Seacroft Jobcentree itself, stating that the processes that were implemented to ask for information on the questionnaire were wrong, to expect me to send back a form within 7 days of the dated letter (i received it 5 days after the date) and to sign, date, put on information and then declare this was true, when the questionnaire had wrong names of a company or person anyway, would have been legally wrong. Today, I was told my reconsideration was 'favorably rejected' (whatever favorably mean!?) I applied for a hardship payment, I found out today it was successful. But, the payment is only from the 20th October, I won't receive it until 31st Ocotber, it will be of the value of 1 weeks JSA with 40% taken off. So in real terms, I would have had £48 approx to live on for 6 or 7 weeks? My MP George Mudie has contacted the manager of my jobcentre, the head of Jobcentre Plus. My local citizen advice bureau gave me £10 ( I didn't ask, but took it) and this money will just enable me to get enough food to eat until 31st Ocotber....there is more...I have contacted newspapers, news agencies about my experience. I am ashamed to admit, for the first time in my life I was thinking last night I have nothing and I might as well be dead. I am down as much as a proud man of 48 years of age, who has worked all his life can be. If I wake up tomorrow, then so be it and I will try to gather the mental strength to carry on appealing. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow morning, I hope she will be able to take way this darkness caused by no fault of my own.
    So to hear people speak, without any idea how circumstance can put a stop to your life makes me mad, sad and ashamed that you can judge so easily.
    Thanks,

AlanUOTE]
  • mrbecky1
    mrbecky1 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    busy_mom wrote: »
    No person will be left without food. For those who fail to comply with the rules and regulations for claiming JSA, there is hardship provision so no-one will have absolutely nothing. Hardship is payable after 14 days (day one for vulnerable groups) but if people do all the can to find work these will be no issues anyway. I can only presume those moaning have already had benefit effected and no realise the sanction may be a lot longer than before.
    When I hear comments like this, I just feel disgusted. Show some understanding for gods' sake!!! I have been put into a situation after being sanctioned, where I don't think I have felt so depressed in all my life.
    This is my story, please give me the courtesy to explain everything.
    I left my temporary job after 4 weeks due to harassment, bullying and being treated unfairly. I have worked all my adult life and have been temping for the past 3 years. I uploaded a video on YouTube for employers to see what I had to offer. You name it, I did it in terms of looking for work...so, having to leave my last employment was not a decision taken lightly, I had no choice!
    I received from the benefits agency on 1st October a questionnaire/letter which asked me about my last job. This had to be sent back within 7 days, it was dated 26th September and enclosed was a second class envelope. On the questionnaire, it referred to a company/place/name that i have never heard of, but was supposed to be connected to? I wrote on the questionnaire/letter, please clarify what this name refers to and send me another form. A few days later, I received a letter stating my JSA was sanctioned from 6th October. I was supposed to receive a payment of JSA on the 16th October, but received 5 days only of JSA that was owing to me before I was sanctioned. My direct debits for the month were due on the same day, only 2 were able to be paid, the rest took the £60 JSA that went into my bank that same day. I was left with an unauthorised overdraft, which i will be charged for...there is more...I sent a reconsideration letter for JSA at Seacroft Jobcentree itself, stating that the processes that were implemented to ask for information on the questionnaire were wrong, to expect me to send back a form within 7 days of the dated letter (i received it 5 days after the date) and to sign, date, put on information and then declare this was true, when the questionnaire had wrong names of a company or person anyway, would have been legally wrong. Today, I was told my reconsideration was 'favorably rejected' (whatever favorably mean!?) I applied for a hardship payment, I found out today it was successful. But, the payment is only from the 20th October, I won't receive it until 31st Ocotber, it will be of the value of 1 weeks JSA with 40% taken off. So in real terms, I would have had £48 approx to live on for 6 or 7 weeks? My MP George Mudie has contacted the manager of my jobcentre, the head of Jobcentre Plus. My local citizen advice bureau gave me £10 ( I didn't ask, but took it) and this money will just enable me to get enough food to eat until 31st Ocotber....there is more...I have contacted newspapers, news agencies about my experience. I am ashamed to admit, for the first time in my life I was thinking last night I have nothing and I might as well be dead. I am down as much as a proud man of 48 years of age, who has worked all his life can be. If I wake up tomorrow, then so be it and I will try to gather the mental strength to carry on appealing. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow morning, I hope she will be able to take way this darkness caused by no fault of my own.
    So to hear people speak, without any idea how circumstance can put a stop to your life makes me mad, sad and ashamed that you can judge so easily.
    Thanks,

Alan
  • busy_mom_2
    busy_mom_2 Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morlock wrote: »
    Will you be claiming Universal Credit? Because these sanctions may apply to you too, do you still agree with them if that is the case?

I would love to claim, but as I earn £3 too much I am exempt.
    Yes I have two children, yes i have paid my fair share of nursery fees over the years.
    No I have not any had any help towards my fees.
    yes my hubby work full time and certainly not enough to be higher tax earners. Before my children I and a completely different occupation, I change to fit in with my children

As for the other comments, i do my job. Today I have seen a jobseeker age 37, never worked and put down they have looked in the paper twice a week over the last two weeks, yes that is all, yes I have raised a doubt with a decision maker.
    Person number two, no i will not get on a bus at 7.30am to travel 40 minutes to get to work, if i cannot walk there in 10 minutes I am not applying, yes another person referred to a decision maker.
    Person 3-10 all actively seeking work, all have proof of job applications, two with job offers, no doubts raised. Yes e-mails to to randomly check some applications. All in a days work!
    i am paid to do a job, people are paid to seek work, some do some don't. In my mind those who don't should be sanctioned.
  • The_ICT_Engineer
    Options

Trying to point out that in some areas, retail is actually hiring. Also, with the number of new hotels here, there is a relatively high number of hospitality related jobs available. .

While highly skilled well paid jobs are lost to be replaced by these low paid, part time, zero hour contracts jobs. Ford to shut down the 'Transit' factory in Southampton and transfer production to Turkey.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure