Mr Site website builder

Comments

• niccy
    niccy Posts: 597 Forumite
    well i watched the Apprentice with Alan Sugar the other week.The contestant who he fired had recently been made bankrupt, and old Alan said "there's no shame in that,i've been bankrupt twice" just made me smile:D
    living on the "edge"
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 2,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    niccy wrote: »
    Mr Site at Amazon is now £16.97

I've ordered one,

You've been had :P
    niccy wrote: »
    The second year you pay £2.49 per month

Ouch!

So... £16.97 for the first year - £29.88 in subsequent years.

Why not get a free blog from https://www.blogger.com (with free blogspot hosting), or buy your own .co.uk domain from https://www.godaddy.com for about £3/year and use their free hosting?
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    Blogger is seriously good, I'm using it now for a business related blog (instead of building some blog software myself). Not just because it's good, it's connection to google means it has some great search engine optimisation benefits.

Fits seamlessly with any paid hosting if you have it, also. :)
  • niccy
    niccy Posts: 597 Forumite
    godaddy is free hosting but ad-supported
    living on the "edge"
  • Martin81162
    Martin81162 Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was with 1and1 for a couple of years but had to get rid of them because their customer support was the worst I'd ever come across.
    They are ok for static web pages but I would advise you not to use them on windows servers as they do go down a lot and you have to convince them that it's not your fault.:rolleyes:

I use Pipeten for hosting and have found thier support is about 10 times better.
    Martin
  • I've used Mr Site and overall its fine but I am interested in these other ones mentioned i.e 1&1 web builder etc. I do know a bit of html but my knowledge is rather basic! With those web-builder ones is like Mr Site in that its a bit more like WYSIWYG rather than having to know loads of html? I'm interested in doing a small business website with an online shop etc.
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
  • lellie
    lellie Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    Pick of the bunch, in my opinion, is WordPress. In addition to writing regular or occasional blog entries you can publish static "pages" using the same theme. It'll cost nothing to give it a go.

BBL.

wordpress is a fantastic tool - with some skill you can turn it into a very high powered database driven website too.. It can become anything you want it to be if you are skilled with php.

I can't stand this mr site thing - I don't see the point in making a site if you don't do it properly!
  • Cat72
    Cat72 Posts: 2,398 Forumite
    What happens if you are looking for a shopping cart facitlity? Can the web sites suggested like bloggers etc offer that too as I had a look and it didnt look like you could.But I noticed mr site does, so would mr site be the best buy if you are selling products too.I work for a charity and we are intereasted in going online and maybe selling some of our calanders etc to raise funds.I also have a friend who wants to set up a web store and was also thinling of using mr site as they have limited html knowledge and time.
  • Cat72 wrote: »
    What happens if you are looking for a shopping cart facitlity? Can the web sites suggested like bloggers etc offer that too as I had a look and it didnt look like you could.But I noticed mr site does, so would mr site be the best buy if you are selling products too.I work for a charity and we are intereasted in going online and maybe selling some of our calanders etc to raise funds.I also have a friend who wants to set up a web store and was also thinling of using mr site as they have limited html knowledge and time.

I've bought Mr Site because of my limited knowledge in website building although I do recognise its limitations. I intend to use it for the first year and then produce a better quality website with better hosting once I feel confident enough to do so.

Apparently it's easy to incorporate a paypal shopping cart facility into any website. You need to introduce the code paypal provide you into your website html coding.

I bought Mr Site the other day for £17, which works out at about £1.50 for 12 months so although there are cheaper options I'm happy I bought it. I will also look into the other options stated in this thread as they look interesting as well.
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport