Mr Site website builder

Comments

• niccy
    niccy Posts: 597 Forumite
    I've bought Mr Site because of my limited knowledge in website building although I do recognise its limitations. I intend to use it for the first year and then produce a better quality website with better hosting once I feel confident enough to do so.

Apparently it's easy to incorporate a paypal shopping cart facility into any website. You need to introduce the code paypal provide you into your website html coding.

I bought Mr Site the other day for £17, which works out at about £1.50 for 12 months so although there are cheaper options I'm happy I bought it. I will also look into the other options stated in this thread as they look interesting as well.

I'm not sure cos i haven't got the software yet,but there might be restrictions on the amount of lines (products) that you can put on Mr Site.
    As i said earlier you do get a .com (if available) which at 1and1 costs 8.99 a year.Whether tthis is included in the year two fees of MrSite again i'm not sure.
    I personally am a bit of a boot and braces man, and don't want all my hosting with one company.
    Any way its still cheaper than buying a bricks and mortar shop:eek:
    living on the "edge"
  • For cheap hosting, one of the best companies I've used is Fast2Host.com. Don't think they've been around all that long but it's a pretty good, fast service.

For sites that require a minimum of down-time, I usually go for Pipeten.com. Their customer service is very fast (nice to get a reply within 10 mins at 2am on a Saturday morning). Although, to be fair, they can be a bit smug with their answers.

Be careful when getting a 'free' domain from anywhere. Probably not the case with most companies, but I know a client who registered their domain for free as part of a hosting package only to discover the host had registered the domain for themselves and were leasing it to the client. All good until they tell you costs for moving it to another host.

Much safer to register it yourself with 123reg or similar.

Using blogging tools for sites can work, although may make the site look less professional than you need - you'd need to decide this for yourself. For a site that you're selling anything through, it would probably be a no. If the site isn't secure, has frames or looks patched together, most people won't trust it with their payment details.

If you're expecting your site to have a lot of traffic, WordPress might not suit as its database connections seem to struggle a little when under strain.

Anyways, just come snippets from my experience.
  • niccy

Much safer to register it yourself with 123reg or similar.

Wo,scary :eek: they've got David Hasselhoff on their home page:D
    living on the "edge"
  • niccy
    regards registering, i did look down the route of becoming a "Tag Holder" i think.You became a registrar and then could sell on domains which you get at a discount
    living on the "edge"
  • this is probably a very stupid question but once you buy a domain isn't it automatically registered or is this a separate process??? If so how much does it cost and why would you register it ?
    :D
  • niccy
    this is probably a very stupid question but once you buy a domain isn't it automatically registered or is this a separate process??? If so how much does it cost and why would you register it ?

i believe its registered to you, but as an earlier poster said,you do get unscrupulous companys.This does mean that your details are then available via "whois".

And its only yours for as long as you pay the yearly fee
    living on the "edge"
  • thebyp
    thebyp Posts: 245 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    if you need domains then take it from somebody who does this for a living. use a reputable domain registrar like namecheap.com fro registering domains, never a host. most will charge to transfer out in the future or the such like.

whichever registrar you use make sure they are acredited by icann, the internet regulator (use that term loosly).

as to blogs etc, most host worth their salt will include at least joomala and wordpress, as well as some sort of site builder.
  • thebyp
    thebyp Posts: 245 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    niccy wrote: »
    i believe its registered to you, but as an earlier poster said,you do get unscrupulous companys.This does mean that your details are then available via "whois".

And its only yours for as long as you pay the yearly fee

You have to be careful with domains registered by hosts as they tend to control the all important registrant contact which is actually the person who owns it, not any of the others.
    • the registrant (the owner)
    • the technical contact (your technical point of contact)
    • billing contact (the person who pays the account such as the billing dept or you!)
    • Admin contact (not important really, whoever)

example of whois here > http://whois.domaintools.com/assivabackup.com
  • How do you forward a domain name to a blog/website?
    Does this mean that when you load up your blog, your domain name would appear in the address bar?

I'm a newbie at this so any help is much appreciated :D

Yes, that's what it means. The exact method used varies with the domain registrar - 1and1.co.uk who I used as an example in my earlier answer have a control panel where you tell it that www.myexample.com should always forward to myexample.wordpress.com

If you want an example PM me and I'll send you links to a couple of my own sites that show how this is done.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have a couple of domains with uk2.net, which are fine for email. However, if you want a website, there is a UK2 banner across the top of it unless you pay uk2 an extra fee. That's even if you host the site elsewhere and just 'point' the domain name at your website. (Think of it like automatic postal redirection.) I think it's probably time to leave uk2.net. Do any of the other companies mentioned here have the same sort of banners?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure