Mountain Bike

Options
Looking for a half decent bike around £300 and seen this As I dont know a lot about bikes, is it any good and whats the main things to look out for.Not sure If to get a mountain or hybrid so apart from the tyres whats the usuall differences Thanks

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    carrera are a decent budget brand as are decathlon http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-53-2012-id_8206682.html.

the decathlon is over 1kg lighter.

If you are mainly riding on roads you dont need a mountain bike with wide tyes on, as it is hard work compared to a hybrid with narrower tyres.

there will be replies suggesting that you cant get a decent bike for less than £500 or a £1000 etc etc, dont let them put you off if you only have £300 to spend
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    With that budget I'd go for something like this

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/products.asp?partno=45557

rather than the one you linked to. I use a mountain bike although I changed the tyres over to something less knobbly as I usually ride around town/cycle tracks.
  • fivetide
    fivetide Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Check if your employer is in the cycle2work scheme. You should be able to get one and you get tax off the purchase too!

www.cycle2work.info

5t.
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
  • Wongsky
    Wongsky Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    carrera are a decent budget brand as are decathlon http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-53-2012-id_8206682.html.

If you are mainly riding on roads you dont need a mountain bike with wide tyes on, as it is hard work compared to a hybrid with narrower tyres.

there will be replies suggesting that you cant get a decent bike for less than £500 or a £1000 etc etc, dont let them put you off if you only have £300 to spend
    Absolutely - there's nothing wrong with £300 for an entry level bike - which appears to be what the OP is after.

Some of the bikes in the £150-200 range can be a bit ill-advised, but £200-300 can get you a reasonable bike.

And if riding mainly road, I'd agree with considering a hybrid, too.
  • armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Unless you live near/amongst mountains/big hills or plan on doing a lot of off-roading on difficult tracks, I think it's best to stick to a hybrid or some form of road bike.

Concentrate on getting a bike and frame that's the right size and geometry for you and what you want to do.

Don't get seduced by the specification; often with bikes, less is more.
  • armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    photome wrote: »

Indeed I've got 4 bikes I regularly and they cost me £400, £225, £170 and £30 and all, once they've been adjusted/kitted out fit my needs very well.

And good tyres to fit your needs are quite important, often changing/swapping them around can make a world of difference to speed and handling.
  • jcb208
    jcb208 Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    The bike I have now cost just over £100 a few years ago and its not that great.Mostly going to use it for cycling along canals,river banks and the woods near me which is an army training ground and has many hardcore type rough tracks along with tarmac Am now thinking along the lines of a hybrid as when on the roads, cycle lanes its quite hard work on tarmac with mountain bike tyres
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I bought my last bike second hand on ebay - got a much better bike than I would have been able to afford new. Local bike shop charged £40 to give it a service and its been perfect.
  • Marco_Panettone
    Options
    You could always get the mountain bike and a pair of slick or semi-slick tires for use on the road.
    It's only numbers.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Am now thinking along the lines of a hybrid as when on the roads, cycle lanes its quite hard work on tarmac with mountain bike tyres
    Try increasing the tyre pressure. I used to put 35 psi into mine then noticed the tyrewall stated 40-65 psi. Inflated to 55psi they are noticeably better on tarmac and hard tracks but feel less secure in mud.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport