🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

RCI - Cancelling a timeshare

Options
2»

Comments

• MissHeather
    Options
    Just happened upon this and it worries me.
    My parents have an Infiniti timeshare scheme (don't know exactly what). They sub let to pay their maintenance somehow and actually do ok out of it, it seems to work for them although they end up with too many 'points' and so pass on their excess points for family member use. Great for us, or so I thought until they added me to their 'account' so I didn't have to pay for a guest certificate every time I wanted to book.

I signed a piece of paper to say I was added to the account (was one piece of paper no long terms and conditions malarkey simply asked for my name address and signature that was literally it nothing else on the paper.

While my parents are comfortable money wise and will likely want to continue, they told me that when they die, this would pass to me 'if I wanted it' I'm now very concerned that I'm going to get lumbered with something I don't want and can't afford. Any advice would be appreciated as I'm worrying now!
  • vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Probably done with best of intentions but you probably shouldn't have signed it. When my mother died, she had a timeshare and my name was somehow on it without my consent. I'd never used it, never been there etc. They said I had signed. I presume my mother probably put my name to a signature line, as it wasn't me. I don't understand why she would have done this, but I guess it was suggested to her by the people selling it to her maybe. I had no intention of using it, so nothing at all to do with me. I informed the lawyer dealing with the estate, then told the timeshare company that I hadn't signed and that I was seeking legal advice as to how they could have my signature. They then became keener to resolve. Well, sort of. They told me to try to sell the timeshare and even advised of companies who may help. They gave me a time limit to try to do this to avoid running into the next year's maintenance fees, that they were saying would be due if I didn't cancel by a specific date.

So the selling option was a non starter, as they wanted £500 to market it. I had no intention of getting into any financial contract to do with it whatsoever. To do that I would have been saying I owned it I suppose then putting my own money at risk for something that had nothing to do with me!

So, I gave up pretty quickly and got back to the company a couple of weeks before their cutoff. They then spun me a line that I had to give a month's notice of cancellation therefore the next year's fees were now due! OMG, after telling me to hold off cancelling until whatever date and me getting back to them well within their timeframe. So they tried to con me basically. Anyway more anger down the phone and my refusal to pay....and they finally agreed to cancel the whole thing. What a hassle though. I'd never take anything to do with a timeshare.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport