PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

birthday cake ideas?

Options
It is my lo's birthday a week today, he will be 2 and fancied making him a birthday cake, normally get a cake from walkers bakery as they are so tasty:D

For a change wanted to make one myself for him, have no ideas as last time i made one it was a disaster, normally me and cakes dont mix!

Any ideas as what i can do, going shopping tomorrow so wanted to find out what i need to get in to make it.

Any ideas?
Kyle

Comments

• jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Make a plain sponge in a flat tin (maybe the roasting tin) and decorate it. Is he into Postman Pat? Easy enough to cut a cake to PP shape (you can find a piccy on the web and use as template) then decorate with icing. At this age it will be MUCH more about the decoration than the taste :p
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • tickb26
    tickb26 Posts: 618 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi kyle

is your LO boy or girl?

what do they like?

i done my LO a spider and ladybird cake for his birthday in dec he was 3.
    Tickb26
    XOXOXO
  • webbie
    webbie Posts: 383 Forumite
    Options
    What about "making" a cake out of other cakes/sweets?

I have made a train out of swiss roll, cut up mini roll for wheels, mini roll for funnel, twix "trailers" filled with sweets, smarties etc with mini roll wheels etc.

Children can help make this - stick it together with icing or chocolate spread - it gives instant results rather than baking - and no chance of a flopped sponge!!
    DFW No. 344
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!!:T
  • scaredy_cat_2
    Options
    when both my dds were 1 i made them owl cakes (they were slightly squat looking and tubby but fun!!) I made two cakes in pyrex pudding bowls and then cut the top off one and sandwiched them together with butter cream, to make an owl ish shape - then cover in choc butter cream - it doesn't matter how rough it is - then smooth out 2 circles 1 for face and 1 for tummy - on the face put 2 white choc buttons and a brazil nut for the beak, then break up lots of choc flakes and stick in butter cream for feathers!! - they looked ok - like i said we're not talking bought cake quality but they knew what it was - or you could make it a hedgehog!!
  • emilyt
    emilyt Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Many years ago when was new to cake making i made my DD a clock cake so simple and effective.Just uses liquorice for the clock hands and jellytots or smarties for the numbers
    I am sure it will be great what ever you decide.
    When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile :D
  • Sharra
    Sharra Posts: 751 Forumite
    Options
    I made a penguin once, just got a cartoon pic off the net to use as a template, with black n white roll out icing. Other ones I've done - a teddy - again, flat rectangle sponge cake, get a pic to cut round as a template and ice with chocolate buttercream and smarties for eyes n nose. A hedgehog - for this I cooked the cake in a pyrex bowl to get a hedgehog shape, put choc buttercream over the top, chopped choc fingers in half and stuck those in for spines, choc buttons for eyes.
    As jobbingmusicican suggested postman pat - I made his van one year, again, flat rectangle sponge cake, cut out the shape and use red/black yellow ready to roll icing to decorate (gotta love that stuff!).
  • Emmy
    Emmy Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    Options
    Really simple, does he like the numberjacks???

print_numberjack_2.jpg

Number two is orange....just google it/ look on cbeebies :D

This would be simple for you but he will know who it is :D
    :heartpuls Number 1 Aunty Gok fan :heartpuls
  • cliffsgirl
    cliffsgirl Posts: 367 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My nephew was 4 a couple of months ago,he wanted a numberjacks cake and my mum made a basic sponge, covered it in icing and piped over the template from the cbeebies website, it looked really good and he loved it. Or what about a hedgehog cake, make a simple sponge, cut it in half vertically, and trim to a hedgehog shape and sandwich the two halves on top of each other with butter icing then cover the whole cake with chocolate butter icing and stick chocolate buttons over it to represent the spikes, it looks good, is easy to make and tastes yummy.
  • clutterbunny
    Options
    This may be a little old but one of my favourites was a dinosaur cake. We made a plain sponge (which sank in the middle but this was obviously by design :wink: ) then we painted it with green food colouring and stuck plastic dinosaurs and toy trees on it for a dinosaur landscape.
    My top tiip would be if you are going to do this put the colouring in the icing rather than paint it on. My kids had green poo :eek: for days as we used too much .
    HTH
    CB
  • smitty2702
    smitty2702 Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

use a traybake sized cake tin, draw a template for the no 2 to fit, cut out, cover in butter icing and goodies!!!

also I do have a childrens birthday cake book so if you have anything specific you fancy doing PM me and ill have a look in the book and see if theres anything with guidelines

Claire
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport