Modem advice

Options
Since Biscit I have adopted a zero tolerance policy, Virgin Media have been cancelled after setting install date, then putting it back 4 weeks because they have decided they need to dig up the footpath, despite the cable access lid being 300mm from my front garden.
Even the guy on cancellations agreed a site inspection before setting an install date would be a good idea.

Right, I have more or less decided to go with https://www.newnet.co.uk but I could do with some advice, being new to broadband.

My pc is at the end of about 3m of phone extension lead, no probs for dialup, but from these forums I learn it's better to have the modem as close as possible to the master socket, then use a long ethernet lead.

Newnet offer a bt voyager 105 for £25, this is usb, again from these forums this is perhaps not the best way to go.

I therefore guess I'm looking for a wired ethernet modem, the trouble is most pages concentrate on wireless connection.

References to wired setups on these pages seem to be older and perhaps do not relate to current models.

Any recommendations for a simple setup for a single user would be very helpful, even a different isp with similar price and quality of service but with free modem.

Thankyou.

ps just read through my post and don't I ramble when I get back from the pub, must be something in the scrump!

:beer:
Move along, nothing to see.

Comments

• dieselglider
    dieselglider Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your only two phone connections are your master socket, and a 3m extension, I wouldn't worry too much about plugging in at the master socket. Although it all really comes down to what quality of line connection between your modem and exchange is.

What speed do BT say your line can support if you input your phone no. here; http://www.btwholesale.com/getbroadband

The lower the Max figure, the more chance, I would say, of you having a flaky connection. Personally, I would stay clear of Max unless I could get over 4Mbps.

People, in general, seem to be complaining less if they are on a fixed speed service rather than a Max service. Newnet offer both options of service when signing up, which is good.

Lastly, adsl router-modems offer a more secure connection over using just an adsl modem, so I would go with the former, wired or wireless. Just make sure if you go wireless that you can make a wired connection to the router, because when you set up security settings, you can get locked out of it if relying on wireless to communicate with it.

Lastly lastly :) , these are my own opinions, others may say different.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most ADSL modem routers have both wired and wireless connectivity.
    Mine is a Netgear DG834GT, I think they are around £50 unless your chosen ISP provides them free.
    They also have a built in firewall, which is nice.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dieselglider

Thanks for the reply, according to the checker I can get 1 or 2 Mbps, perhaps up to 4Mbps after an engineers visit.
    I was leaning towards a modem router for the security side, I'm not interested in wireless because that just seems to cause problems especially to us novices.

penrhyn

Thanks for your reply, that particular Netgear model keeps cropping up in posts, usually with positive comments.

My original point was that Newnet do not supply a free modem/router, so that cost has to be factored in to the total price to be paid/year.(In true mse style).
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    See your point, I don't use the wireless facility on my router, in fact I've disabled it. You have 4 Ethernet connections on it as well.
    I would imagine it probably costs more to get a router without wireless than with these days.

I see Amazon have the Wired version of the DG834

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-DG834-Router-4-port-switch/dp/B0000E0YHF/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/026-1240653-4006831?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1175957555&sr=8-1
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • dieselglider
    dieselglider Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    spud17 wrote: »
    dieselglider

Thanks for the reply, according to the checker I can get 1 or 2 Mbps, perhaps up to 4Mbps after an engineers visit.
    I was leaning towards a modem router for the security side, I'm not interested in wireless because that just seems to cause problems especially to us novices.

penrhyn

Thanks for your reply, that particular Netgear model keeps cropping up in posts, usually with positive comments.

My original point was that Newnet do not supply a free modem/router, so that cost has to be factored in to the total price to be paid/year.(In true mse style).

It's your call, but I would go with the 2Mbps fixed speed option. Unless your feeling adventurous and want to try Max, but it'll be no faster for general web/email usage.

Regarding buying a router-modem, try here for a bargain!! :EasterBun
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks people

You've told me what I needed to know.
    1.use modem/router, safer, and set up using wired.
    2.can get graded/refurbed units.
    3.check out netgear.

Still not quite decided on which way to jump, one checker states I am 2.25km from exchange ( I realise that's a crow flies figure) so would 1 to 2Mbps be quite a low figure?
    If so, would that indicate a poor line?
    In that case should I crawl back to Virgin Media and opt for cable, especially when other threads suggest good deals are to be had when renewal time comes around.

The above questions are thinking aloud and I will not be disappointed if nobody answers!
  • mk-donald
    mk-donald Posts: 750 Forumite
    Options
    You might want to use this site for expected speed:
    http://www.dslzoneuk.net/checker.php#

On ADSLmax its estimate is spot on for me at 2.48kms from exchange - ie "Your line is capable of 3 Mbps or above" as I synch at 3.4Mbps with a Belkin modem/router/etc.
  • dieselglider
    Options
    spud17 wrote: »

Still not quite decided on which way to jump, one checker states I am 2.25km from exchange ( I realise that's a crow flies figure) so would 1 to 2Mbps be quite a low figure?
    If so, would that indicate a poor line?

From your previous post, I guess the checker said something like 1Mbps with maybe 2Mbps after an engineers visit, but possibly up to 4Mbps on Max.

If that's correct, it means 1 or 2Mbps fixed line speed, or up to 4Mbps on Max. See the difference?

Actually, all lines are subject to contention etc, just Max seems to be more subject to problems than the 'fixed' type connections.

And you don't necessarily have a poor line, it could just be relating to the actual line length. Although you won't know until you can get router stats.

Shh..re:line length, try this. It may be old, but still might work...just don't abuse it...:wink:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure