We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Anyone got a Sony Xperia Go or U? Any good?

My trusty HTC Legend is getting a bit long in the tooth now. I've run out of space and it's a bit sluggish.

I don't want a massive phone, so anything under 4" screen is good. Plus I don't want to spend a lot (under £200).

The Sony Xperia U and Go models look good, as they are 3.5" screens with dual core processors. The only worry I have is the battery life - reviews say they fall down in that department.

Does anyone have either the Go or the U? And are you happy (with the phone, not with life in general)?

Cheers
«1

Comments

  • OGR
    OGR Posts: 157 Forumite
    I can't comment on having actually used one and performance because I haven't but I too have been looking at a new phone recently and my big worry with the Xperia U (And the HTC One V for that matter) was the 512MB RAM.

    I have heard that Android 4.0+ can be a bit sluggish with so little RAM and although the U comes with Gingerbread I believe it is getting the update or already has.

    It is a shame the One V is single core really as it would have been a straight replacement for your Legend.
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    The U for £149 looks a good deal. If you don't want sluggish, the nokia 800 is a bloody good phone for £115 from Tesco. Windows OS but much nicer and smoother to use imo than android 4.x

    Nearly all phones have naff battery life
  • mr_fishbulb
    mr_fishbulb Posts: 5,224
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    OGR wrote: »
    I can't comment on having actually used one and performance because I haven't but I too have been looking at a new phone recently and my big worry with the Xperia U (And the HTC One V for that matter) was the 512MB RAM.

    I have heard that Android 4.0+ can be a bit sluggish with so little RAM and although the U comes with Gingerbread I believe it is getting the update or already has.
    I think ICS is coming out this week for the U and the Go so I'll keep an eye on how people get on with it.
    jaydeeuk1 wrote: »
    The U for £149 looks a good deal. If you don't want sluggish, the nokia 800 is a bloody good phone for £115 from Tesco. Windows OS but much nicer and smoother to use imo than android 4.x
    I would like to give a Windows phone a go, but I'm also looking to get a Nexus 7 and I know I can happily tether 3G from an Android phone to the Nexus 7.
  • OGR
    OGR Posts: 157 Forumite
    Speaking of Windows I am actually now waiting until WP8 phones come out to see what they feel like in a shop as I don't feel there is much variety with Android phones at the moment. Its all really high end expensive stuff or lower end stuff that feels a bit dated.

    My Nexus One will have to continue on a bit longer.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,371
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Go is better than U.
    Their spec similar, but GO with water resistant, dust resistant
  • System
    System Posts: 178,487
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    interested in this thread too, I'm looking for a small android phone at the moment, others i'm looking at is the xperia mini and the xperia active, anyone used these?
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,371
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    the_r_sole wrote: »
    interested in this thread too, I'm looking for a small android phone at the moment, others i'm looking at is the xperia mini and the xperia active, anyone used these?

    Haven't use them. But heard about short battery life in mini. How small do you want? and how much you prepare to pay?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,487
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    yeah, I have heard that, was thinking of getting a better battery if it's really that bad!
    want as small as possible, trying to keep it under the 200 quid mark as it's just an intermediate before an upgrade (damn these 18 month contracts!)
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,371
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    the_r_sole wrote: »
    yeah, I have heard that, was thinking of getting a better battery if it's really that bad!
    want as small as possible, trying to keep it under the 200 quid mark as it's just an intermediate before an upgrade (damn these 18 month contracts!)

    Have a look at Huawei Ascend G300/ Sony Xperia U/ Sony Xperia Go
  • System
    System Posts: 178,487
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    Cisco001 wrote: »
    Have a look at Huawei Ascend G300/ Sony Xperia U/ Sony Xperia Go

    had a gander at these ones, the huawei looks big (no?) at the moment i've got an lg optimus black and I really want something smaller, getting a tablet to do the browsing and other mucking about on android, only really need some basics on the phone atm
    xperia U looks alright, will have to try and get a look at that one - only issue might be no sd card, but will look into my storage needs when I get the tablet...
    and like the look of the go - cheers, will look into that one
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.