I've just been scammed into signing up to pay monthly scheme!!!

Just placed an order on Argos .co.uk and as I had spent a lot I knew I would get money vouchers when I collected my goods in store.
Long story short a box popped up and said claim your money back vouchers here so here I go like an idiot and filled in the claim form complete with my credit card details that's registered to my account.
Just after clicking the claim now box I realised it hasn't got anything to do with Argos,it's a discount company who will take £10 out of my account every month aaaaargggg how could I have been so stupid so now I am going to have to jump through hoops to get this company to cancel this transaction.
The company is called Shopper discounts& rewards operated by web loyalty.
I have fired off an email to complain that they allow this company to hoodwink their customers like this.
In my defence I was trying to watch the X factor at the same time,there goes my Monday morning trying to sort this out now.
Mom

Comments

• dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    God is this scam scum company still operating!

Here is a long thread about them which may help in your quest to cancel your payments.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=819869&highlight=shopper+discount
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think it's especially easy to get confused by this when Argos do have an offer on for a free £10 voucher.
  • Yes, I nearly got conned by it! My suspicions were lowered because it was Argos, rather than some dodgy 'try an ipad 3 and keep it!!' type site. The way it's done, as well, makes it look like a legit Argos deal.

I really think they're letting their brand name down by allowing this company to advertise on their site.
    "Most of the people ... were unhappy... Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -- Douglas Adams
  • mommame
    mommame Posts: 279 Forumite
    This was why I wasn't suspicious as it was Argos but when it repeated do not claim your voucher through Argos it must be claimed through us, I thought hang on this is Argos isn't it, cannot believe this sucked me in, they are extremely clever and I have sent Argos a very terse angry email for allowing this company to operate under the radar on their website.
  • mommame
    Off to bed now will try and sort it tomorrow morning, good night folks.
  • That thing pops up everytime I order from the site. When thing comes up why does you want my card details, it is stop point and no you are not getting it. Nothing is free.

Off now to get my free lunch.
    I hvae nt snept th lst fw mntes writg ths post fr yu t cme alng hre nd agre wth m!

Cheers! :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    In my defence I was trying to watch the X factor at the same time

It maybe a penalty for doing this.
  • BillTrac
    BillTrac Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No you haven't been scammed. You made the mistake of not reading exactly what you were signing up to.

Easily done. I use Premier Inns a lot and always book online. Last year I noticed the 'get £10 of your next booking' message so thought I would have a look. The second I saw they wanted my credit card details I re-read the information and didn't go any further. I did email PI with my concerns regarding the slightly devious link

Why would they need my cc details if they were going to give me a discount? Not as if they were going to send me the money. And if they were surely they would want the details of my bank account.

It is very easy to get caught up in this so-called discount lark, who doesn't want to save money.

You have to be very careful before entering any financial details.

On a plus note I am sure there are previous threads on here where the person signing up has had there money refunded and the 'service' cancelled
  • mommame
    Well yes I do now realise what I did, but with the voucher scheme in force I thought it must be a new way of processing the vouchers ie: proof of purchase by providing the card details and then the voucher is sent electronically etc.
    If I hadn't been so distracted while trying to do several things at once I would have Sussed it but too late the penny dropped lol.
    I have now emailed the company involved and explained I did not at any time have any intention of dealing with their firm so please cancel any dds set up on my behalf.
    I got an email back to confirm cancellation,no apology but hey ho they can keep that.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    mommame wrote: »
    ...If I hadn't been so distracted while trying to do several things at once..I got an email back to confirm cancellation....

I thought mums could multi task?:A

Glad you got a refund.:T
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport