My Proper DFW Diary

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
160 replies 18.6K views

Replies

• Lucy5781Lucy5781 Forumite
    699 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Well I was wrong, he started crawling finally two days before turning ten months at the start of July. He's now also pulling himself up on everything and confidently cruising the furniture. He also stood unaided for almost a minute earlier this week!

I've now actually got clothing for him for up to age 4...

I've now reached the end of my final pay and we now have our plan in place moving forwards.

We have set a monthly food budget which we keep updated in a joint whatsap conversation and DH gives me a bit of spending money from his extra night shift earnings.

We're about to start the process of applying for child tax credits and see where that gets us in terms of extra funds aswell.

DS will be one in about six weeks. I've been buying cheap pound shop party items for a couple of months now.

DH has sorted out the garden with a loan from his Dad, it's all now cleared and turfed. We're planning an outdoor party for DS's 1st Birthday, with some activities, lots of bubbles and a mini cinema projected on the side of the shed (popcorn can be a very cheap party food for all my friend's 2-6y olds!)
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    699 Posts
    ✭✭
    One thing I'm really trying to save us money on now is our food. We have a monthly budget which we do stick to but I know we could do better.

I need to get organised in our freezer. It got a bit neglected in the first few months after I had DS and now he's usually eating same dinner as us (he's 11 months next week) but I have to keep in a few more fresh bits than previously for his lunches.

I need to do this now before I fall pregnant again and I have issues with food.... DH cooked more when I was previously pregnant as when we lived at the flat he got home from work first. Now obviously I'm at home.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]

699 Posts
    ✭✭
    July was an expensive month! My Birthday, DsS started school holidays (i.e. needing more food whilst at ours with DH working from home etc) and it was a fie weekend month!

August will be odd, we're going to stay at my in-law's second house up north Sun-Thur next week so my head keeps thinking what we need to buy to take with us but they were there last week and have left the freezer stocked and the Tesco is a five min walk away so there's really no need to take much with...

And today we've filled out our claim for for Child Tax Credits. We're expecting to have a reply notice of 'nil award' at which point we then update them with me stopping work and DH now earning slightly more etc. The we should qualify, as currently they will base it on what I earned last tax year whilst still working full time up to end of July 2016 and then being on maternity pay until May 2017.

And relax....

699 Posts
    ✭✭
    Jeeze.

The August holiday followed by both DS and DsS birthdays in September it's been so tight money wise.

We've been denied child tax credits. As part of my contact I had to use up my annual leave for my notice period which put us over the qualifying threshold by about £1500.

We'll update our application again when baby no.2 arrives in April 2018.... I'm almost 11 weeks now. By that point the threshold goes up with us having a second child and we'll be into a new tax year where I won't be earning anything.

As I stopped working in June 2017 and am due to give birth in April 2018 I will qualify for maternity allowance which will be very helpful and of course second child benefit once baby is here.

My in-laws have had quite a year, my FiL has had lymphoma which triggered a critical illness policy to pay out a large five figure sum and allowed them to pay off two mortgages. On top of this, for Xmas they are wiping our remaining debt to them (excluding the house deposit loan which will be cleared when we remortgage in four years time) so this reduces our monthly outgoings by over £100p/m.

So, it's tight but but we'll manage.

And no I didn't manage to sort the freezer.....

699 Posts
    ✭✭
    In other news, now four years since my DRO started. How shocking is that?? Now less than two years until m6 name is clear again.

We're due to remortgage in about four years, DS will be starting Reception and no.2 will be at nursery so should be back into part time work at the least.

699 Posts
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to knowing baby no.2 sex at the end of the month so I can start adding small things to the preparations and sort through DS's old stuff for what will be kept or sold etc.

Currently have his 3-6 month Xmas outfits up for sale online as they'll be no good for no.2 who will be eight months old for Xmas 2018!

699 Posts
    ✭✭
    I'm now 27wks so I'm in the final trimester already and we are having a girl! Anything of DS's clothing that we can 're use has been put away ready and the rest passed on to friends of DH who are expecting a boy the week after us.

• What a few years you've had! Congratulations on your success and your continued journey!
    Debt-free by January 1st, 2019.
    £4905.87/£5124 - as of 24/03/18
    699 Posts
    ✭✭
    Didn't qualify for maternity allowance... Two weeks short of the required amount of paid work.

Need our p60s now to update our child tax credit claim with my much reduced income. Will have to update it again once baby girl arrives as well. Child benefit will also increase once she's here.

In less happy news my mother passed away almost two months ago. She'd known she was quite ill for a while and all her arrangements for a pre paid private funeral were already in place along with her will lodged with solicitors who are executors as well. My brother and I are happy with this though as he's trying to relocate to the coast with two children under two and I'm about to have my second child in As many years as well.

We discussed flat rate fee with the solicitor and the quote was less than the value of mum's car so we agreed this cost was acceptable for the convinence of them handling it all where mum used to live over 70miles from us.

So house is cleared and about to go on the market and probate likely completed around September or October this year.

In the meantime baby is due in ten days. Induction is booked in 16 days if nothing sooner naturally.

699 Posts
    ✭✭
    Oh the other change is DH transferred departments at work and secured a £6k pay rise whilst maintaining his paternity leave etc.

So he's no longer having to work nights to keep us afloat. Though we actually do alright on our budget and have done for several months now.