PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Options

Comments

• mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MSE access is playing up for me today. Anyway very cold here. Extra layers on. Stew on. OH bought a travel sized snow shovel http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerms/SNOW+SHOVEL.htm
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • icontinuetodream
    Options
    really cold here this morning :( have to have heating on as I can't cope with the cold....doesn't help that I have gaping holes in my outside walls and the builders are in and out of the house leaving the back door open :eek: going out tonight though, so I am hoping friends house is warm ;)..... I have a thermal vest on and two blankies covering me at the moment...dogs have given up on me trying to use them as hot water/puppy bottles though...think they may be overheating!!! Lucky things!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Mortgage 12.12.12 £55842 12.12.13 £42716 14.12.14 £28837 13.12.15 £25913
    Mortgage OP £50/£600 House Fund £420/£5000
  • mineallmine
    Options
    Found my other thermal top, so that's another thing off the winter prep list :)
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
  • Princess_kate
    Options
    Hi all, goodness its getting colder here in Cardiff! It was getting dark & very cold by 4pm! Opened the curtains to watch some fireworks that were going off & I was shocked by the chill coming off the window, I wasn't even right next to it and could feel it! Got my fleeces up, left them up all year on all of my curtains in the living room, and on the curtains over the front & back door but it made me realise what a difference they must make! My curtains are lined & I'm considering moving the fleece to be an interlined layer. Maybe a job in preperation for winter 2013!

Prep here is pretty much sorted. Will get some more big bottles of water in, very cheap in asda (sp) or aldi, and we have space to store. Need some bread & milk for the chest freezer but its very full at the mo! Had some very successful trips to waitrose at the right time....It is amazing he price they reduce things too! Sainsbury's today had their christmas party food on 2 for 1, so have got everything we wanted for christmas tea & NYE for £16!

Popped to wilkos, (I can never resist!) They had tyre traction tracks which I thought were a fab idea, saw Aldi were having them in from tomorrow for £10 but these were only £6, picked them up to leave in the car. Also thought about keeping a bag of dishwasher salt in the boot incase of issues driving in snow/ice. Or do you all think theres not much point in that?

Replaced the cereal bars and chocolate in my bag in the boot too. I use an insulated picnic bag I got from asda after the summer last year, reduced to 50p i think. In it have a fleece blanket, scarf, gloves, hat, ST's, paracetamol, water, cereal bars, chocolate, de-icer, small garden shovel, car scraper, those little gel hand warmers and a foil poncho & waterproof poncho. Can do the bag up & it sits in the boot all year round. What type of bag do you all use for this? Do you have enough supplies for 1 or all the people who may be in the car?

Makes me feel a lot happier knowing it's all there, even if I (hopefully) never have to use it. This time of year I also make sure I always have a fair bit of petrol in the car, never know when we might be hit with bad weather and the last thing you want then is to be worrying about if you have enough to get home!!

Lots of places are stocking salt, for thawing ice and snow shovels again this year. Allows people to easily be prepared, sure we were all the 1st to have a snow shovel or 2 and plenty of dishwasher salt/table salt/council issue grit!!

Sorry for the long post, I read ALL the time but rarely post but when I do I get carried away!

How do we all think winter is going to pan out? Last year was very mild, already its been much colder than then I think. Would love a crystal ball to know exactly what lies ahead but at least if we're prepared for the worst anything less is a bonus!

Kate
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In my boot I've got 3 fabric storage boxes, that Velcro together. W!nnie the pooh ones, lol. One has a bag for my little ones: nappy supplies, spare clothes, cups, pjs for us all in case we get stuck at mils. One has snow stuff, so deicer, scraper, my wellies, salt, and those reflective bands cyclists wear. The last has a spare across the body bag, with a purse and some change, hats and gloves, some snack and drink. I usually have my laptop bag, so this means I can lock it in the car and still have something for my essentials, if I have to walk...
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Princess_kate
    Options
    Well thought out bossymoo, I think I've thought for myself as it is usually just me in the car, back & for to work etc, but if I was with my partner maybe he would like to keep warm too, might hunt out another bag & separate the car stuff from the rest, that should give me some more room to put a few extra bits in.

Bought a lovely dressing gown in sainsburys yesterday, £4 but 25% off until tuesday I think. It's lovely & warm, maybe a bit too warm with fleecy pjs too at the mo, but will come in very useful through the winter!
  • mineallmine
    Options
    I think it's a good idea to keep some bits in the carboot but also inside the car, say the glovebox or under the seat. My boot lock has frozen solid before! And things like hi vis jackets should be inside the car so you can grab them quickly in the event of anything.

Time for a stupid question. Could bottled water freeze/break open in the car?
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Snowing in Brackley:eek:
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Molly41 wrote: »
    Snowing in Brackley:eek:

and a few other places:
    http://uksnowmap.com/#/
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    annie123 wrote: »
    and a few other places:
    http://uksnowmap.com/#/

We are NN13 on the map :)
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure