We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Making a pink cake

2

Comments

  • hemophobic
    hemophobic Posts: 739 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2012 at 4:31PM
    I found something called Trex, apparently I use 20% less than I would of butter. If the recipe asks for 4 eggs how many egg whites do I use?
  • Just a quick word of warning; if you use cochineal as your red food colouring, it is made of crushed insects. So if you want cake with a hint of bug, this is the red for you ;)
    A Bag A Month Challenge member
  • just make a normal sponge and add red colouring it works exactly the same without the faffing about x
  • Victoria Sponge.

    Add Raspberries to colour.

    Bake

    Eat with chocolate and wobbleade
    I hvae nt snept th lst fw mntes writg ths post fr yu t cme alng hre nd agre wth m!

    Cheers! :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:
  • just make a normal sponge and add red colouring it works exactly the same without the faffing about x

    That is what I just did and it doesn't come out pink at all :S
  • hemophobic wrote: »
    That is what I just did and it doesn't come out pink at all :S
    I'm not sure what went wrong, maybe it was your food colouring? What brand did you use?

    That method has always worked for me
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Just a quick word of warning; if you use cochineal as your red food colouring, it is made of crushed insects. So if you want cake with a hint of bug, this is the red for you ;)
    I think it used to be, not sure it is any more. Mine says carmoisine (though googling that isn't too reassuring, think I might prefer the crushed beetles!).
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    rachbc wrote: »
    http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/10/pink-lady-cake/

    this cake is yummy - the pink comes from strawberries not a bottle so it tastes of summer rather than e124

    :T thank you rach that looks lovely. I've never baked a cake using just egg whites before but have dozen eggs from yesterday & 2 punnets of rasps so might just have a go with those instead of strawberries.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    hemophobic wrote: »
    I found something called Trex, apparently I use 20% less than I would of butter. If the recipe asks for 4 eggs how many egg whites do I use?


    http://www.getcracking.ca/sizesandsubstitutes.html
    according to this, 1 large egg yolk = 1 tablespoon & 1 large egg white = 2 tablespoons. Therefore, 1 large egg would be 3 tablespoons.
    So, 4 large eggs would be 4 x 3 tbsp liquid = 12 tbsp = 6 egg whites?
  • Probably a silly question, but does the cake itself NEED to be pink or could you just ice it with pink icing? That might be easier?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.