Im Stoopid BT Broadband

Options
I know your all gunna groan when you read this. I signed up with BT for phone and Broadband last October after a nightmare month with NTL and having no access to internet or phone.

I chose to opt for the 18mth contract on BB and now I realise just what a rip off it actually is I want out. To top it all I am moving house now and want to know if there is any way I can get out of this contract?

Any ideas anyone???
Total CC Debt £ 9896.94 (Starting 09.03.2008)
March Goal £310.00
March TD £517.13 :beer:

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pay up the outstanding dough .....
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • bambam00
    bambam00 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    i maybe wasnt so clear in my first post, but am looking to save money. surely by paying the outstanding money i may as well complete the contract as I have paid for it. Thus that doesnt actually mean I have got out of the contract.
    March Goal £310.00
  • airforce_beret
    Options
    i have just got out of a 18 month contract with BT but they had just told me that I was being upgraded for free on my broadband not actually signing a contract for 18months. see if you can wangle it so that you only have to pay till october as most companies tie you in for the first year then your free to leave after that. BT is a rip off, ive just changed to virgin media and I'm saving around £20 a month!
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bambam00 wrote: »
    i maybe wasnt so clear in my first post, but am looking to save money. surely by paying the outstanding money i may as well complete the contract as I have paid for it..........

But that is what you agreed to do when you started the 18 month contract. If you only want to leave to save money, that is not a valid reason to break your contract.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • bambam00
    bambam00 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    The whole point of me starting this thread was to see if anybody had any constructive ideas or experiences in ceasing the contract. I am sure at some point in our lives most of us make a decision that we later regret and want to walk away from.

In fairness the contract with BT was a verbal one I NEVER actually signed anything so am unsure legally where this stands.
    March Goal £310.00
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bambam00 wrote: »
    The whole point of me starting this thread was to see if anybody had any constructive ideas or experiences in ceasing the contract. I am sure at some point in our lives most of us make a decision that we later regret and want to walk away from.

In fairness the contract with BT was a verbal one I NEVER actually signed anything so am unsure legally where this stands.

It is not necessary to actually sign contracts for them to be binding. i.e. you do not normally sign a mobile phone contract but it is legally binding and they will appoint debt collectors if you default. BT will not back down on the contract issue, simply so that you can save money but why ask them what they can do for you?
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I left late 2005 - BT B/B couldnt provide B/B to a new build built 5 years prior ( estate had sub standard lines seemingly, older part of estate ( by 40 years !! was ok though ?? ) was gonna let a friend use it rather than pay it in 1 & for nothing ) and I had 10 months left of contract ( had to move suprisingly & immediatly with two weeks notice to a non BT area )
    they cancelled fee free so it does happen
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • BritBrat
    BritBrat Posts: 3,764 Forumite
    Options
    Download warez 24/7 they will soon throw you out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure