PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Sago and tapioca

Options
2»

Comments

• apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes I'm minty :D Hello thriftycook :hello:
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I cook my sago very similar to you Thriftlady. I can't remember the quantities as my recipe book is in Oz but at the end of cooking I add a splosh of vanilla & about 1 tbsp custard powder mixed with a little milk. Makes it a lovely light buttery colour and creamy texture.

I've never had tapioca. BTW sago is good cooked in slow cooker as you do rice pudding.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    How do you start a pudding race?

Sago!
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    juno wrote: »
    How do you start a pudding race?

Sago!
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :T
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    I love all these proper winter puddings, but my girlfriend hates them. I get by making single portions of semolina in the microwave.
    apple_mint wrote: »
    I think people are relying on tins now a days. My 83p bag will do us 10 meals. I just have to add milk to cook it slowly in, and at the end a dessert spoon of caster sugar, a little butter and some vanilla essence.

I'm not knocking you and obvioulsy home made will be much nicer. But 10 meals will cost you a lot more that 83p once you've added a pint of milk to each, plus the other random bits.

Compared to some ready made foods old-fashioned tinned puddings aren't bad for both taste and value.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    tr3mor wrote: »
    Compared to some ready made foods old-fashioned tinned puddings aren't bad for both taste and value.
    Maybe, but a packet of 10 servings takes up a lot less space in a cupboard than 10 tins. And no tins to dispose of ;)
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    if i remember right i think my gran used to stir an egg yolk into the cooked semolina then fold in the whisked white and popped it in the oven
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »
    Maybe, but a packet of 10 servings takes up a lot less space in a cupboard than 10 tins. And no tins to dispose of ;)

I have to say that the HM version tasted a lot better than the tinned versions I've tried (and I was a big fan of tinned tapioca once upon a time). I do try to keep costs down but sometimes I am prepared to pay a few pennies more for the better taste ;) Plus for 2oz of tapioca and a pint of milk I get more than a tinful. I buy a set amount of milk for the week - if I make a milk pudding I'll probably not make a cheese sauce later in the week. I just adapt my meal plans:D I agree with thriftlady - my packet of tapioca takes the space of a coffee jar (in fact it is now stored in what was a coffee jar :rotfl:) and will be useful if we get some reduced milk :D
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I LOVE semolina, but I can't stand tapioca. I don't think I've ever had sago. Semolina is one of my favourite comfort foods. I like to bake it in a large dish so that there is plenty of skin. I don't put the amount of sugar stated in the recipe as I like to have it with jam and find it a bit too sweet otherwise.

I've grown up now so I don't stir the jam in to make the semolina purple anymore. (I think I did it once, many mamny years ago, in front of my husband, and he was...shocked. That's when I realised it was not the done thing!).
  • Maz
    Maz Posts: 1,405 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mmmmmm............memories of school dinners! They were always my favourite puddings!
    'The only thing that helps me keep my slender grip on reality is the friendship I have with my collection of singing potatoes'

Sleepy J.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family