PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sago and tapioca

Options
I bought a packet of each of these (at the farmshop of all places this morning). Hadn't had either in years.

I've just served some sago up to the kids. They absolutely loved it :j
I cooked it in a saucepan -1½ oz of sago to 1 pint of milk plus 2 tbsp of sugar. Stirred over a low flame till thickened. Then I let it cool till it was warm and had jellied. DS2 is licking his bowl after his third helping ;) OH wouldn't touch it - can't stand milk puds. Will definitely make it again.

Anyone else still cook frogspawn ?

Comments

• twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    yes i do thriftlady, i also do semolina, that and sago are nice with a sprinkle of cinnamon on the top or a spoonful of jam
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Oooo, Semolina, yum! Haven't had any for years. I usually stick to rice puds these days, but thanks for the reminder, I'll get some Semolina next time I'm shopping.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • aimeelister
    aimeelister Posts: 600 Forumite
    Options
    Urrrgggghhhhhh frogspawn :eek: , I remember it from school. I always thought it was nasty, mum said it was the fact it was school food so bravely i tried so my nan cooked, but no its all just nasty! :D
  • Miss_Cinnabon
    Miss_Cinnabon Posts: 19,481 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love tapioca:D mmm lovely with some jam, havent had it in ages, must go and get some now;)

Kyle
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I bought some tapioca in Sainsburys today. OH was talking about milk puddings the other day and asked if we could have tapioca. I made it as per the packet instructions in a pan on the hob and it was absolutely delicious.

It's funny how we are all thinking along the sames lines :D
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • saving-grace
    saving-grace Posts: 284 Forumite
    Options
    When I was a student one of my flatmates used to make a lovely tapioca pudding with dates and brown sugar.
    I decided to make it a few weeks ago, DS tought it was ok, I thought it was absolutely delicious, but by the time DH came in from work (he gets in late) his had jellified. He ate it quite happily but with much joking about frogspawn!
    Much as I enjoyed it I don't think I'll be making it again in a hurry!
    However, Thriftlady, I do recommend you try making it with dates and brown sugar.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Like the sound of the dates :T

Does anyone know what the difference between sago and tapioca are ? Mine look identical except the sago is pure white and the tapioca a creamy colour.

My food dictionary says sago is made from the starch from palms and tapioca from cassava - but do they taste different ? I thought the sago didn't taste of anything except milk and sugar, it was more a texture than a flavour.
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't know what the difference is between the two Thriftlady - my tapioca is pure white.

It was interesting though that I couldn't get it in Tesco's or Asda (both had good old pudding rice) and I finally found it in Sainsburys. I think people are relying on tins now a days. My 83p bag will do us 10 meals. I just have to add milk to cook it slowly in, and at the end a dessert spoon of caster sugar, a little butter and some vanilla essence. It was so easy to make and other half was sat in seventh heaven eating dessert. I had some homemade rosehip syrup on mine :D

It's not a quick meal though - more like a dessert to go with a sunday roast or Saturday afternoon tea. You have to soak the tapioca in the milk for an hour and then cook it over a low heat for an hour (stirring occasionally). I put mine on while I pulled together and baked a cauliflower cheese with bacon and mushroom slices.
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    apple_mint wrote: »
    ... I couldn't get it in Tesco's or Asda

I looked for semolina in Tesco about 3 weeks ago and I was told it was discontinued but I found it the following week in Morrisons! Perhaps if we're all going back to good old fashioned milk puddings Tesco will have to rethink!

I wanted semolina for my shortbread recipe but will be making a pudding with it too having read this thread!
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I notice Shirley Goode is talking about tapioca, sago and semolina on her blog:)

http://shirleygoode.blogspot.com/

Are you Minty, Apple Mint ?:D (I'm Thriftycook btw)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure