We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

water butt pump..

Options
AAngel_3
AAngel_3 Posts: 35 Forumite
Hi, I am looking for a pump to use in my water butt so that I can run a hosepipe and possibly sprinkler off it. I have seen one in B and Q for £50. Has anyone seen one any cheaper, please?
Thanks.
AA
Aug GC £300 / £8.89

Comments

• MickMack
    MickMack Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    Are we talking electrical water pump of manual hand pump?
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Have a look at a cheap pond pump at your local garden shop or aquarium.
    Some go for as little as £20
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I bought one through www.gonegardening.co.uk. Same price (49.99) but I bought via quidco so got some money back.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • bunking_off
    bunking_off Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Options
    I guess a lot of this depends upon where you live.

I've got a water butt which I use for watering my pots & borders in the summer. I quite liked the idea of using a pump in it so that I could water my lawn instead of using the tap, until I took a look at the economics. My total water bill is £28/month. At £50 for a pump, I hate to think what the payback time would be...at least 3 years I'd guess.

Of course, that's living in an area where hose pipe bans don't happen. Guess I might have a different view if I lived in the south, but then again my water butt would probably be empty when I wanted to water the lawn....
    I really must stop loafing and get back to work...
  • navig8r
    navig8r Posts: 553 Forumite
    Options
    When it comes to watering a lawn .
    a water butt full of 20 to 45 gallons looks a pretty insignificant amount when a hose pipe bangs out around 300 gallons per hour.

Dave
  • christineperseus
    Options
    One in NETTO £19.99
    not able to post direct link - but https://www.netto.co.uk
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Go to poundland and buy a few of the drill operated pumps- they are black and round and about the size of a man's hand.

At a pound each even if they only last a few months it's a good buy.

I'm going this weekend to get mine- should have done it last time but my fish tank wasn't foremost in my mind last time.:rolleyes:
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    One other thing while i think of it. If you have a standard butt (excuse the expression :)) and want to submerge the pump to the bottom of it and pump out the top the pump must be capable of pumping up to the height of the butt.

This is known as the pump "head" This sounds obvious but a lot of small pumps will not give a good flow rate at more than a couple of feet of head, washing machine pumps are a good example.

So if you intend to submerge it in the butt, just make sure it can pump up to at least 3 metres head to ensure you get a good flow rate.
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has seen these - thought it might be of interest - I think they were £24.99.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • tele951
    tele951 Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    B&Q are selling a water butt pump.I was wondering if anyone here has one and if they work ok.I was thinking of using it to pump the water from the bath in the summer months when my water butt is dry. Do you think the pump would do that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport