Urgent - Orange taking me to court

Options
I used to be with Orange broadband but left in early December last year when I migrated to Zen. In early January I had an email from Orange and 2 phone calls confirming my account had been closed. I have a copy of the email confirming account closure but no details of the phone calls as my other half has tidied all the info away into the bin :mad:

Today I have had a letter from Orange saying the following:

"Unfortunately we haven't received any payment from you so we've had to stop your broadband service and close your account. You still need to pay your outstanding balance of £22.99 by 11th April 2007 or we'll have to take legal action".

This is the first correspondence I have had from Orange about this. I only have until next Weds to pay the money otherwise they will take me to court.

There is no email address on the letter, just an address in Rotherham. I would ring them but it's an 0870 number and I know I'll just get some numpty in their call centre who won't have a clue.

What should I do? I'm thinking I should just pay up even though I don't owe them any money. If I decide to pay I'll have to send it in the post today otherwise it will get delayed in the Easter post and won't get there in time.

Comments

• mrJ_5
    mrJ_5 Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    Options
    phone them, it's better to try and get this sorted asap - it is most likely an error, since you have proof your account was cancelled (by them confirming it), then there shouldn't be any problems
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good advise, phone them, the cancellations dept is UK based. You could also email their customer services, there is a link on the Orange site.
    Just a thought, could it be that you cancelled your direct debit still owing them for a months payment?

Orange customer services: customer-service@uk.orange.com
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Minerva69
    Minerva69 Posts: 797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I think I've got it sorted out in the end. As predicted I did get a numpty at the call centre who said that I had to pay up. I asked why it had taken them 4 months to contact me about this and why hadn't they asked me for the money when I left them in December. They claimed they had a record of one phone call made to me in December but I didn't remember getting it, so they said I must have been out when they rang. I asked why they hadn't left a message on my answerphone and all they said was "we don't leave messages".

The call centre operative said I should have received emails from them asking me for the outstanding amount prior to getting the letter. I hadn't received any at all. I was getting nowhere so I asked to speak to a supervisor, who came on the phone and admitted that I should never have received the letter this week at all, she would reset my account to zero (what account?! I left them in December, why are they still keeping my account open?). Hopefully I won't get taken to court now. I'm expecting the summons next week ;)

Anyone who is thinking of joining Orange broadband - don't do it unless you plan to never leave them. I had to report them to ISPA just to get a MAC code last year, and now I've had this letter out of the blue even though I haven't been a customer of theirs for over 4 months. The future's bright, the future's Orangeless (hopefully).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure