Twin Walled Flue & Multi Flue stove: Worth the hassel??

Options
13»

Comments

• wintergirl
    Options
    Thanks for all you comments. Just a further upate :
    The original installers have come back re the leaking roof, and wall bracket issue. They need to get onto the roof to confirm, but say it sounds like the sealant around the storm collar may have failed. They proved to us that the flue has the correct fixtures in the loft, and is absolutately secure all the way up, with no movement at all. It therefore cannot have moved as a result of the power sweeping. The only thing they can think is that the bracket was connected in the bedroom to keep it in place, before going into the loft to continue on the installation. He said that it could have come away as they manuvered the final sections into their final position, and fixed the plates/ loft supports, and was not spotted when boxing in. We had not checked the bedroom section since install, so I had just assumed it had happened recently.
    I have also had a 'friend of a friend' take a look, who happens to be NACS and HETAS. He confirms that the flue is rock solid through the house, and therefore the power sweep would not have caused the bracket to come away.
    The installers are also going to replace the single flue section, fixing together with small steel screws and heat sealant instead of fire cement. All will be done at no charge to me, so we are now feeling much happier about things, and looking forward to the colder evenings!:rotfl:
  • Man_Overboard_2
    Options
    wintergirl wrote: »
    the bracket was connected in the bedroom to keep it in place, before going into the loft to continue on the installation.....it could have come away as they manuvered the final sections into their final position

It is good that the installers are making an attempt to deal with the problem, but, deep down, are you really entirely satisfied with their response?

What will you do about next year's chimney clean?
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All you need to do for sweeping next year is make sure the sweep uses a flue brush suitable for the size of flue and flexable rods....simple really :D
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • Man_Overboard_2
    Options
    muckybutt wrote: »
    All you need to do for sweeping next year is make sure the sweep uses a flue brush suitable for the size of flue and flexable rods....simple really :D

Simple indeed!

A set of rods and a suitable brush may well cost you less than calling in a chimney sweep...
  • wintergirl
    Options
    Agree Muckybutt that we will get a NACS sweep in next year to get a certificate, but in the mean time, we intend to source a suitable set of brushes to sweep it ourselves in between times.

Man Overboard : Am I really satisified with the installers response deep down? If I am totally honest, then no. It begs of sloppy workmanship. However, as I said at the start of my post, of the 4 Hetas installers we got in to quote, they seemed to have the most knowledge and understanding of installing a twin wall system. They have always conducted themselves in a professional mannor, and listerened to any concerns or issues we had. I hold the installers in a much higher regard than the other guy we called out, who made all manor of noises about the install, but has then not had the guts to come back with anything concrete that needs doing. He's not exactly portraying himself as a reliable or trustworthy person, is he?

We'll see how the repairs go.

Even after all this hassel, it was still worth it when we sat last night in front of a beautiful crackling fire!
  • Man_Overboard_2
    Options
    wintergirl wrote: »
    Even after all this hassel, it was still worth it when we sat last night in front of a beautiful crackling fire!

And that is what it is really all about

Like cooking on a BBQ, there is no rational justification - it's just fun

I am extremely jealous - after a lifetime's involvement with old houses and solid fuel heating (in all it's forms) I am reduced to living in a modern purpose-built flat! Maybe I should light a few sticks under one of my radiators....
  • wintergirl
    Options
    Absolutely! My heart goes out to you being in a flat. Radiators are just not the same are they?!
    Some friends of ours want to get a stove, but they are not the 'type', (no offence intended!) They are seeing it from a romantic evenings in front of the fire aspect. I doubt that they are prepared for all the work involved in having one.
    They looked blankly at me when I said you have to get the wood, split the wood, store the wood, bring it inside from the store when its p##'%#g down outside, riddle the grate, remove the ash. Its a messy form of heating, and when in use the woodburner and hearth doesn't look all shiney and polished like in the ads for them - it gets dirty, and you get dirty handling the wood and ash!
    But as you say, once you've had one, you get totally smitten, and like us, you end up spending a fortune in a house with no chimney, just so you can get back to it!
    Thanks for all you help. The temps dopping below 20c in the lounge so I'm tempted to stick it on for a while....!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure