Tips for Online Deliveries at Xmas/Winter!

Options
pullenuk
pullenuk Posts: 305 Forumite
edited 25 September 2012 at 6:55PM in Gone off!
[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

[/FONT]I know I know, Xmas a way off yet but there isn't anything wrong with a couple of ideas!!!

1. Sainsburys allow you to book 4 weeks in advance, so if you really must have that certain time slot, book it, put items in and check it out. Remember to come back and amend the order for the rest of your shopping. (I haven't used the other supermarkets)
1a. For above, do not forget to amend it or you will get a phone call asking if you really need the delivery. If you forget you could get charged £6.75 for a delivery you didn't want and they don't have to refund it! Please don't add several hundred quid worth of shopping at zero hour, you could cause problems in the morning loading an order that wasn't expected.

2. Wet weather? If you got somewhere the driver can go which is undercover such as a porch or even a back door access to your kitchen that you don't mind him/her taking a step in to get out of the rain do so! If you don't have access, don't moan if the shopping is wet..... the driver cannot wait for it to clear he got a time limit.

3. Expecting snow? Expect no delivery! If you live somewhere where cars cannot or struggles to get in and out, don't expect a 3.5 ton van to find it drivable. Yes the main roads might be clear, but unless you live on one it might not be possible for a delivery. Often its not the local store that does orders, it might be the next town, if its snowed in there and not where you are, then it still affects you.
3a. If you live in countryside, stock up on the long-life stuff!
3b. If its really cold, maybe offer the driver a hot drink, you be on his favourite list! Hot sausage rolls at Xmas really makes my day, though if every customer gave me one I be really fat.
3c. If it is clear enough for deliveries but they still won't deliver its highly likely is because they haven't got the stuff in to shop or drive the vans. Drivers/shoppers are specially trained and insured (drivers) for the job, they can't just grab someone off the shop floor to do it.
3d. Often, the drivers might ask if you can meet them halfway, for example at the beginning of the lane or the entry to the estate. Trust me, they don't like doing this, but they might have to.

4. I always recommend that you get the long-life stuff a week or two in advance before the final week to xmas. That way you still got a chance to get anything that might be out of stock in time.

5. Fresh stuff can be hit and miss, that applies to all supermarkets. Obviously some people are REALLY PICKY on what they want. So consider ordering fresh stuff, but be prepared you MIGHT have to go in and get what you need. Where I work is usually pretty good, but there is always one.

6. Do not give alternatives..... I hate this option, don't blame us at xmas time or when heavy snow is expected when we run out of popular items because people bulk buy like the end of the world. No supply chain can cope when the BBC weather says a foot a snow and everyone hits the store to get 20 loaves of bread same day. So if you don't allow alternatives then you are more likely to get less. Allow the alternative, you can always give it back if its not the right one.

7. White stuff overnight? Thick ice? Have you cleared your path to your door? Can you do it? Before the delivery comes? Thanks :-)! (<-- just stating the obvious!)

8. Tips, now I believe all the supermarkets doesn't like drivers having tips. So if you feel they should get one that is lovely of you. Just be aware if the driver refuses its because he knows he will get checked and end up in trouble or he already got too much in his pocket! One great idea is to ask the driver what store he is from and send a gift (chocolate works well!) to the store for the whole online team. You could give it to the driver to take back, leave a note on it what its for in case he get asked questions! I took back a huge cake once from a lovely customer that bakes for a living. Everyone was in a good mood that day!

9. Lots of out-of-stocks? Consider that your order is often shopped first thing in the morning or over-night. The vans have to leave the store at certain times (ours as early as half 7am) so your 1pm delivery might be on a van that left at 7:30am. That means the order must be prepared by 7am. So if the store gets a delivery of the items that's out of stock at 7:30am then it won't make the van! Store deliveries can come from a fair distance, traffic, bad weather can affect it. But you can get a catch-22 here. You might try a later delivery to get round this, but close to xmas with customers shopping earlier than usual the shoppers often "fight" customers for the stock on the shelves!!!! There is no perfect time!

10. New build? Or under 2 years old? Chances are that drivers sat navs might not have your location. So I would suggest emailing the supermarket delivering and passing on instructions or learn the nearby area so you can help guide the driver in. Decent and long standing drivers might know already. New drivers won't.

11. Please get off the phone when the delivery arrives, or at least quickly ask the driver where to put the shopping so they don't stand there like a lemon while you are having a chat.

Ideas from others suggest - thanks!

- leave a contact number you can actually be reached on and contact customer services if you know you wont be home in time for your delivery.
everyone has times when they're running late ect but your driver is on a tight schedule you may have booked a slot between 5pm & 6pm but that doesnt mean they can wait around till 6 for you to get home they might have several other drops to fit in and the driver doesnt decide the route/order of drops. this applies even more so at xmas thanks mandco

- xmas is busier than usual more deliverys and bigger orders on top of bad weather and extra traffic increase the chances of them running late esp during peak delivery slots so consider this when picking a time. thanks mandco

- consider how easy your home is to find esp in the dark/rain
clearly marked number/name, a few directions or landmark to look for can be a huge help esp if you live in a rural area. thanks mandco

- try and place your order for a few days before xmas so theres time to try and get anything out of stock you really need.if your lucky enough to grab a xmas eve slot dont count on any essential/must have items they will try and supply what you've ordered but they can only deliver whats available.you may have placed your order a wk or more ago but its not picked till the delivery is due. thanks mandco

Hope this helps a bit - I will add more if I can think of any or I see any posts below containing good ideas.

Comments

• mandco
    mandco Posts: 1,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ok so a couple of these could apply anyway but

leave a contact number you can actually be reached on and contact customer services if you know you wont be home in time for your delivery.
    everyone has times when they're running late ect but your driver is on a tight schedule you may have booked a slot between 5pm & 6pm but that doesnt mean they can wait around till 6 for you to get home they might have several other drops to fit in and the driver doesnt decide the route/order of drops. this applies even more so at xmas

xmas is busier than usual more deliverys and bigger orders on top of bad weather and extra traffic increase the chances of them running late esp during peak delivery slots so consider this when picking a time.

consider how easy your home is to find esp in the dark/rain
    clearly marked number/name, a few directions or landmark to look for can be a huge help esp if you live in a rural area.

try and place your order for a few days before xmas so theres time to try and get anything out of stock you really need.if your lucky enough to grab a xmas eve slot dont count on any essential/must have items they will try and supply what you've ordered but they can only deliver whats available.you may have placed your order a wk or more ago but its not picked till the delivery is due.
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
  • pullenuk
    Options
    @mando - you just reminded me of everything I forgotten!

I also added another one above
  • mountainmum
    Options
    Anyone know when Tesco will be releasing their xmas deliveries?
    September shopping budget £325/£146.44 (uh ohhh ) :rotfl:this didn't include 2 new car seats at £50!
    Petrol budget £150/£120:eek:
    18 SFD's (1 down)

School money - £93.73 :cry: so much for "free" education!
  • pullenuk
    Options
    I would've thought 4 weeks like Sainsburys?
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Options
    Ocado has sent out an email to delivery pass customers saying that we will get an email when Christmas slots become available before non delivery pass customers but that after that it's first come first served.
  • pullenuk
    Options
    another one

Get off the phone when your delivery arrives!!!!!
  • andyroberts1967
    Options
    pullenuk wrote: »
    another one

Get off the phone when your delivery arrives!!!!!

That was already said in Tip 11
  • AntD_2
    Options
    First off, great topic, glad it was highlighted in the e-mail!

Some more tips, all I can think to add for now!

Delivery Instructions-

Please use them! You may think 24 Short Street is a doddle to find, but in the rain at half 10 at night in December, house numbers are nigh on impossible to spot. And even if your driver can see the numbers, other drivers get annoyed when s/he crawls down your street at 5mph trying to read them. Add a landmark, an unusual feature of your property or the make and model of your car is ideal!

Your driver requires an adult (18+) to sign for your delivery. Their job is on the line! So please don't leave directions to leave goods in the porch or garage, or expect the driver to hand over all your shopping to your 12 year old daughter. You will be refused, it's not out of spite but self preservation!

Always check your number is correct, and leave a mobile number. If there is an emergency and you're out when the driver arrives, atleast if your mobile is available the driver can contact you and may be able to return later or ask a colleague to deliver your goods at another time. I stress MAY be able! You'll also then know that your shopping hasn't made it, so can pick up the essentials if it can't be re-delivered and won't just get home to a calling card.

Text Updates - Don't know if this applies to all companies, but Tesco now send out text updates with a revised slot, down to half an hour I think. This is for GUIDANCE only! Any delays in picking, van breakdown, traffic can slow your driver down, or if s/he has a tough day and can speed things up by coming to you early s/he may do so. The messages are automated, your driver doesn't know what estimate head office have given you, so if s/he is late or early but within your initial 2 hour slot s/he won't call ahead.

Particularly in winter, if you're likely to be home most of the day, let your driver know in the delivery instructions, ask them to call if they'd like to come early. S/he could be having a really tough day, and if you're in to receive your goods early it could make the rest of the day easier. For example, your driver may deliver to one house at 5pm, then have to wait till 6pm for you 6-8 slot. S/he may then have another 5 deliveries to get in before 7pm, so coming to you early rather than waiting till 6 could make a huge difference.

Driver's routes are pre-determined. You may have booked a 2 hour slot, but your drop could be scheduled for 5 minutes before your slot end. Therefore, don't be surprised or upset if your driver arrives 5 or 10 minutes after your slot end. With silly timings like that a tiny delay at another customer, or in traffic, can put your drive outside your slot marginally. Please be understanding, the driver may not call ahead as s/he is rushing to minimise the delay.

Most of all, particularly in winter, please remember your driver is only human! They understand you've booked a slot and need your shopping and they genuinely do care about trying to be on time, presentable and with the correct goods at the right quality, but things do go wrong. Your driver will always try their best to be on time and make your delivery to your doorstep, not only for your sake but to minimise their own stress and try and get home before 3am the next day!
  • pullenuk
    Options
    AntD wrote: »
    First off, great topic, glad it was highlighted in the e-mail!

Some more tips, all I can think to add for now!

Delivery Instructions-

Please use them! You may think 24 Short Street is a doddle to find, but in the rain at half 10 at night in December, house numbers are nigh on impossible to spot. And even if your driver can see the numbers, other drivers get annoyed when s/he crawls down your street at 5mph trying to read them. Add a landmark, an unusual feature of your property or the make and model of your car is ideal!

Your driver requires an adult (18+) to sign for your delivery. Their job is on the line! So please don't leave directions to leave goods in the porch or garage, or expect the driver to hand over all your shopping to your 12 year old daughter. You will be refused, it's not out of spite but self preservation!

Always check your number is correct, and leave a mobile number. If there is an emergency and you're out when the driver arrives, atleast if your mobile is available the driver can contact you and may be able to return later or ask a colleague to deliver your goods at another time. I stress MAY be able! You'll also then know that your shopping hasn't made it, so can pick up the essentials if it can't be re-delivered and won't just get home to a calling card.

Text Updates - Don't know if this applies to all companies, but Tesco now send out text updates with a revised slot, down to half an hour I think. This is for GUIDANCE only! Any delays in picking, van breakdown, traffic can slow your driver down, or if s/he has a tough day and can speed things up by coming to you early s/he may do so. The messages are automated, your driver doesn't know what estimate head office have given you, so if s/he is late or early but within your initial 2 hour slot s/he won't call ahead.

Particularly in winter, if you're likely to be home most of the day, let your driver know in the delivery instructions, ask them to call if they'd like to come early. S/he could be having a really tough day, and if you're in to receive your goods early it could make the rest of the day easier. For example, your driver may deliver to one house at 5pm, then have to wait till 6pm for you 6-8 slot. S/he may then have another 5 deliveries to get in before 7pm, so coming to you early rather than waiting till 6 could make a huge difference.

Driver's routes are pre-determined. You may have booked a 2 hour slot, but your drop could be scheduled for 5 minutes before your slot end. Therefore, don't be surprised or upset if your driver arrives 5 or 10 minutes after your slot end. With silly timings like that a tiny delay at another customer, or in traffic, can put your drive outside your slot marginally. Please be understanding, the driver may not call ahead as s/he is rushing to minimise the delay.

Most of all, particularly in winter, please remember your driver is only human! They understand you've booked a slot and need your shopping and they genuinely do care about trying to be on time, presentable and with the correct goods at the right quality, but things do go wrong. Your driver will always try their best to be on time and make your delivery to your doorstep, not only for your sake but to minimise their own stress and try and get home before 3am the next day!

Experienced words spoken here!!! Great stuff.

Sainsburys however, doesn't allow you to put instructions but the driver can. You can however cheat a little and add a (next to post box) after your street address! But ask the driver to put it in his instructions so you can remove it.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 September 2012 at 6:43PM
    Options
    pullenuk wrote: »
    I would've thought 4 weeks like Sainsburys?

In 4 weeks time or 4 weeks before xmas ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure