We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

What is the latest after a wedding.....

Options
13»

Comments

• Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    74jax wrote: »
    You can still call it a honeymoon?
    Is it whenever you have your first holiday after the wedding, or is there a timeframe?

Don't know as still waiting for mine 36 years in December :D

We got married a week before Christmas (exactly) had two nights in a local hotel just down the road, spent Christmas with families then went to live in Germany on the 28th December.
    Hubby says I will take you to Paris for a honeymoon later, we never got there and our first holiday was touring France, Switzerland, Austria & Germany in the Autumn the following year which we did not class as a honeymoon.
    Although we have had some wonderful holiday over the years we still never got that Honeymoon.
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • Brighton_belle
    Options
    Personally, I am calling every overnight excurion away until we total 14 nights our honeymoon:D.
    1st anniversay is this month:rotfl:, so that was one night of the wedding a year ago, one last October, 4 in May....so that's another 8 nights to go. Could stretch for another 2 years:D.

Nothing to do with hotels or freebies, just for ourselves.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • stir_crazy
    Options
    Thanks Picklepick, its through First Choice, we booked it online, I think I'll just leave it and mention it when we get there.
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't really think when it is matters that much - it's whether *you* consider it your honeymoon or not that's important.

Personally, I don't buy that it's your next holiday. A honeymoon, by definition, is a once in a lifetime holiday...so it should be something special. So if, for instance, I'd booked a month in Oz for later in the year, that would still very much be my honeymoon - if I went for a week in devon in the meantime with family (or alone, for that matter), I wouldn't consider that my honeymoon. I can also understand people who have mini-moons and honeymoons. I know a few people who've done cruises for their honeymoons and have had to have a mini-moon between the wedding and the flight dates.

Personally, I always wanted my honeymoon right after the wedding and that's what I did. It's all priorities. Ours went something like this:
    1) Wedding date.
    2) Honeymoon after the wedding.
    3) Honeymoon location.

So, it was better for us to have a summer wedding then choose a location we could go straight off to than to find our ideal place and have the wedding and/or honeymoon to match up with the weather at our destination. Of course, dw being a teacher more or less made the decision for us, anyway - only having one holiday long enough for a honeymoon in the year...
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    I don't really think when it is matters that much - it's whether *you* consider it your honeymoon or not that's important.

Personally, I don't buy that it's your next holiday. A honeymoon, by definition, is a once in a lifetime holiday...so it should be something special.

if I went for a week in devon in the meantime with family (or alone, for that matter), .

Yep I think you're right, its how I feel about calling something 7 months later a 'honeymoon' and for one reason or another I wouldn't call it one - but that's just me.

I'm not sure about the once in a lifetime holiday either, but again that's just my thinking.

And if we did have a week in Devon or elsewhere then I would consider that my honeymoon as its the holiday after the wedding.

I think I've answered my question thank you all, I got there in the end.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure