What is the latest after a wedding.....

Options
You can still call it a honeymoon?

Is it whenever you have your first holiday after the wedding, or is there a timeframe?
Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....

Comments

• jtr2803
    jtr2803 Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Options
    I think technically, from a travel agents/hotels point of view it's within 6m of wedding date if that helps? :)

In that respect, I think I will be having three honeymoons lol

Very happily married on 10th April 2013 :D
    Spero Meliora
    Trying to find a cure for Maldivesitis :rotfl:
  • picklepick
    Options
    Why do you need to know? I don;t think it matters.

I went on honeymoon 2 days after my wedding and got freebies.
    But, I also know friends who've told travel companies that they're on honeymoon and got freebies and they aren't even married.

No one, at any point, asked for proof!
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ooooo freebies???????

I'm interested if the first holiday after a wedding is a honeymoon, or if there's a 'honeymoon period'. Didn't know you could get freebies ha ha.

If you have a weekend away after the wedding what makes that a 'mini' moon and not a honeymoon... Just intrigued.
  • picklepick
    Options
    Ah ok, I see.

Traditionally, the term 'honeymoon' refers to the 'sweet month' that follows your wedding. That's where the word comes from. A sweet lunar period before normality returns! haha
    It only began to refer to the holiday that people take when mass tourism became popular in the Victorian era and couples started to go on holiday during that period.

Now, I think you can call the first holiday you go on as husband and wife, as your honeymoon.

And yes... freebies! lol We got loads at our hotel, it was lovely.
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • ennui
    ennui Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    I'm going to think of our first holiday after we're married as our honeymoon, though I have no idea when that's likely to be. We've only had a proper holiday together once in the five years we've been together, so whatever we do, whenever we manage to do it, will be special.
  • MrsDrink
    MrsDrink Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    Options
    :) Our honeymoon will be in 2014 at this rate.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As some of you know, my OH is booking our honeymoon with me only knowing where it is at last min (hopefully on plane).

Last night he asked if going away over Christmas would be something I'd consider. That would be 7 months after our wedding which I think is too long for a 'honeymoon'.

He said we could get a holiday inbetween as we normally have a couple of hols a year, but I said well that would be our honeymoon surely. He also mentioned a weekend away in England, again I don't buy this 'mini'moon and so that weekend would be our honeymoon too.

If we did have this holiday at Christmas I'd rather not do anything inbetween, but would feel odd saying to people 'oooo we're off on honeymoon' or 'we're on honeymoon' when we wouldn't be.

I love the explantion of a 'sweet month' ha ha. I said to OH I'd like to go relatively soon asfter the wedding so we're still in the wedded bliss period :rotfl:
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Options
    One of my friends keeps annoying me (I get easily annoyed by very silly things!) by constantly talking about her 'two honeymoons'. One is to be a holiday in Greece immediately after the wedding - yes, exactly, that's a honeymoon. The other is a holiday to the USA a year and a half after the wedding....I am struggling to see how that's a honeymoon! To me that's just a summer holiday! It might be different if they weren't having an actual honeymoon straight after the wedding, but they are, so...

When I've been looking at honeymoons, anywhere that offers a special honeymoon package seems to want to see a wedding certificate from no more than a year ago. So technically you could have a honeymoon up to a year after your wedding, according to these places.

However, last year OH and I travelled to the US in the summer and were staying near my cousin, we were talking to him when booking one of our hotels and on the online booking, there was an option to tick 'we're on our honeymoon' and my cousin urged us to do it as a laugh. This was months before we travelled and by the time we arrived, we had completely forgotten we had done it. Cue us after a horrendous 15 hour journey, jet lagged and confused, greeted with 'CONGRATLATIONS MR AND MRS *******'! A free room upgrade to a suite, free breakfast added to our rate, a bottle of champagne in the room, strawberries and chocolates and rose petals on the bed.... We were mortified and trying desperately to hide our (ringless) left hands. We weren't engaged at this point and I was absolutely convinced it had jinxed my chances of ever getting married!
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Due to work commitments we can't have our honeymoon until a year or so after the wedding. I would love to have gone sooner but we had no choice. Plus with the cost of the wedding we didn't want to be overstreched with the honeymoon too.

I'm a firm believe on being able to do/see or buy whatever you want on holiday and always take a lot of spending money plus we wanted to go away for at least 3 weeks so this involves a bit of time to sort.

We are having our usual festival week off in June so we are classing this as a small honeymoon. Not most peoples cup of tea but mine & OH's idea of heaven though as a nod to the fact it is kind of our honeymoon we are hiring a campervan rather than sleeping in a tent :rotfl:
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Options
    For the purpose of most travel agents and tour operators who offer upgrades etc to honeymooners they usually allow the "honeymoon" to take place upto 6 months after the wedding....you may also need to provide confirmation of your marriage certificate to qualify.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport