Great 'supermarket staff tell us your reduction policies' hunt

Options

Comments

• rob_nilli
    Options
    sorry i've taken awhile to get back on this - been on holiday.

no laws broken on your first scenario - the offer becomes irrelevant if the individual price is reduced so that it comes out below the offer price.

second scenario - the test is simple - if the original offer is so compelling that the disclaimer is easily missed then normally an MIP will occur. however, every case would be based on the facts and decided individually.

i suspect that if you referred this to West Yorks TS - the Home Authority for ASDA, they would advise the store to make the disclaimer more readable so the customer is not misled - hope this helps.
  • ernie_w
    ernie_w Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    many of your posts from supermarket workers talk about customers being polite and asking nicely,well my partner loves going round the supermarkets after reduced food and from experiance i would say the politness works both ways i.e some staff can be rude,the best staff round here are at waitrose,second sainsburys,third morrisons,bottom is asda,i have heard the staff talk about customers who go looking for reduced food amongst thereselfs i.e shes not getting ought today or here they are again etc(this is only at asda).also morrisons is the only shop i know that reduces bread the day after the display by date i.e it is still on display after this date,yet other shops reduce it on the display by date,except sainsburys who have a policy not to reduce "brought in bread" anymore,we are always polite to the staff but find out it depends on who is reducing whether they will reduce anymore or not,in fact staff at waitrose will thank you if you find anything on the shelf they missed and will reduce it for you
  • swadey1
    swadey1 Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I work for my local Co Operative and don't know if they differ vastly from larger stores but we reduce ALL our same day items by 50% on that morning and rarely need to further reduce as it all seems to go. Also the Buy 2 for £2 offers etc definately do still scan. For example special Cumberland/Lincolnshire sausages are £2.09 each or 2 packs for £3 saving £1.18. Half price today at £1.05 so bought 2 packs for just 92P!!!
    weight loss olbs out of 84lbs started 23/09/2008
  • marmybaby
    marmybaby Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :naughty::naughty:
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    UPDATE NOTE: The info from this discussion has now been collated and is part of the full "How to cut the cost of supermarket shopping article"

The very best supermarket reductions are on fresh goods that are going out of date, but what’s the best time to grab these bargains?

I’d like any MoneySavers who work or have worked at any of the big supermarkets to dish the dirt on stores’ official reduction policies. This way we’ll be able to spot patterns and figure out the best times to get down to the reduced aisle.

Please let me know:
    • Which supermarket do you work for/did you work for?
    • What times of day do you reduce prices?
    • How big are the discounts? (If the computer does it automatically, do a rough estimate)
    • What time is the final, final reduction (to 10p-ish)?
    • Who has the authority to reduce prices?
    • If a customer asked you to reduce something because it’s on it’s sell-by date are you allowed to?
    • Does it vary if it’s a 24-hour store?
    • And any other useful tips …
    threadbanner.gif
  • marmybaby
    marmybaby Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to work for M&S and all the food gets binned. The staff get a chance to buy the goods first (if the manager feels like it). We would pay 50% even for salad and fruit which sometimes would be off by the next day. Would get some good bargains at times especially at Christmas. Other than that, in the bin and covered in dye so no one else can take it.

Customers would ask for reductions but we were told it is not their policy and against their image! Surprising considering Waitrose reduces and reduces well and they are a top name in the food industry.
  • ernie_w
    Options
    i hear that as of sunday 21/4/08 sainsburys have stopped reducing stuff on the deli counter/fresh meat counter/and hot food counter(last one they have decided to put out for people to taste)but the others they bin.however inside information said it wont last for long as they will lose to much money,more so on fresh meat.
  • ernie_w
    Options
    asda are no longer allowed to reduce stuff for customers even if the customer finds it on the shelf been missed.reason is(or so we where told)that staff had been knocking stuff down for their freinds and security found out so they got sacked,therefore they wont do it for customers anymore just in case
  • Shineyhappy
    Shineyhappy Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Some Marks stores do now reduce items, last Sunday I was in a shop and got a pack of chicken for my OH reduced from 2.50 to 1.50 at about 3pm.

I have been told by a friend that apparently only some stores are now reducing and I dont think items will be reduced by more than 50%.
    Debt Free - done
    Mortgage Free - done
    Building up the pension pot
  • Nicolefury
    Nicolefury Posts: 602 Forumite
    Options
    M&S are reducing, but it won't go to a stupid price because there is a price bracket for reductions. I.e. if a product is between say £5 - £8 originally,there is a set price it can go down to and no lower. Staff get 20% on top of that price, and whatever is left over goes into staff shop.
    Dooyoo £10.40/40, TopCashBack £17.19/30, Valued Opinions 50p/£10, Swagbucks 0/£20, Ebay £15/£25
  • tickle
    tickle Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    I work at M&S and approx 3 weeks ago we started to reduce the prices from 2pm.The prices are not going down to 20p just a little bit of discount on date expired waste.
    Whatever is left over after we close is then sold to staff,milk 1p a bottle bread 10p,meat 50p,but we have not had much left recently.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure